What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Here we go again..

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Small update, mostly to ask for help!
plants are looking bad again, still looks like Ca and Mg defs but also I think I can see some P def developing. I have been told it's stress from light i tensity so i raised the lights by 10 cm. Yet symptoms continue to appear.
Does anyone has any input on my problems?

Please! Any opinion or advice helps!

Okay. Pics lie!
They look good in my eyes.
What distance do you have to your light?
At this stage I normally hold 30 cm.

Best luck mate :woohoo:

P :smoke:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They are about 45 to 50 cm away now, with some tops at 20 or so. I will probably tie down those tops to make it more even.
Panel is at 90% now, soon I'll go 100%.
If you telling me you see no problems at 30 cm then too much light intensity is not my problem, as I'm already suspecting.
Will still leave the lights at 40+ for a while since I started this test, but then will go back to 35 to 40 cm distance.
Thank you for coming in on this and also for the kind words! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Small update.
I just watered the plants. Since I wanted to measure runoff I had to water 1 liter each instead of the usual ~~500ml each. And since I measured EC as well I went with 1x dose of nutes, and not the 1.5-2x dose I was inclined to give them.
PH and EC data:
tap water = 150 ppm, ph 6.5 to 7 (I sometimes use filtered water but most of the times I am lazy and just use tap water that sits in an uncapped jug for days.. so for this test I checked the one I use most.)
nute solution (100% dose) = 1300 ppm, ph 6.3-6.5
runoff = 1850 ppm, ph 6.5 (but tray was a bit dirty with dried up nute solution from previous waterings so ppm is probably lower)
Environmental data (just after watering):
Click image for larger version  Name:	noexif_a565007a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	17845401

VPD is around 10 as always, soil humidity 92%.. thats perfect in my book. I usually swing soil water content from 60 to 90% (50-55% meaning they would wilt and 95 to 100% meaning (almost) waterlogged)
I also took out some lower leaves for better airflow, but just an average of 1 to 2 leaves per plant were taken, most of them already effected by nutrient deficiencies or whatever problem I am facing that makes them look this way. Nothing major. Update will come in about 3 days when they will need water again.
Happy Easter everyone! See you soon.
P.S. I am still waiting on opinions or advice regarding this. Everyone is welcomed to throw in their :2cents:.
Thank you for checking my thread! :wave:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Exploziv as paddi says not to much of a problem they look fine to me, They all dont look like a calmag def, so just play it as you see it they look like they are going to end just fine as to the cause it could be sensitive plants maybes, either way its gonna be a good finish nice work m8.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you mate. I am not affraid it won't end good, but I have grew swazi before with way less nutes and way happier looking plants. As I said, plant and flower develepment is not visibly affected by this. But for sure I would like to figure out what I am dealing with so I can do better next time.
they do seem to eat a lot and it is not logical to still want more, so dunno, maybe next time if I start with bigger doses of nutes sooner they won't run out of nutes to show deffs, but I am not sure of this.. thus this is why I am asking for help, cause the better I understand the problem, the better I can fix it next time. This time they will look about the same even if I do everything perfect from now on, not much to save on how the plants/leaves look.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Small update, for you guys to sew how they going! Around start or middle of week 7 flowering, out of about 12.5 total weeks of flowering. I will give nutes for 3 more weeks, then just water, for a nice fade. Also hoping to catch a glipse at which nutrients were needed most when that fade starts.

noexif_e382a904.jpg
Thank you for checking my thread. A bigger update will come as well later this week, but haven't had time for it now. This was just a quick snap.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Update time (but more of a picture dump)!
we are about 7 to 7.5 weeks into flowering out of about 12.5 weeks total. As you can see orange hairs specific to the rooibard start to appear, deficiencies didn't progress further since I quit testing lower nute strenghts and water only waterings. Now that I know they really need the heavy feeding, I do a better job at keeping them happy. Will try to never let them be hungry next time. It seems like it doesn't matter that swazi is not a heavy feeder, or that my soil was loaded with ammendaments and enaugh chicken shit pellets for a small garden in each pot, they did need the liquid nutes earlier than I started them. I can only blame the light and the VPD controller for making them eat this much! As they were already defficient by week 5 to 6 of their life, in a soil that used to sustain a full grow with just water added. Next grow I will probably start feeding after 3 weeks.
BTW.. Did I tell you guys what's coming next grow?
It's Kali Bubba from Serious Seeds under the Mars Hydro SP3000 led light I got from the 420 Giveaway!!! (Thank you again Mars Hydro Led )
Anyway, I guess most of you want to see the pics, so I present you the (Swazi) Rooibard @ mid-flower:
noexif_b4da179b.jpg

noexif_5ab734dc.jpg

noexif_e45bd5d2.jpg

noexif_d81fae69.jpg

noexif_b622fe7c.jpg

noexif_ee0d0dc2.jpg

noexif_f0cffbe5.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Sorry for neglecting this thread for a bit, but I had other priorities.
Still not enaugh spare time to do a proper update, but i wanted to have at least a weekly glimpse at the grow in here so i managed to take 3 quick snaps with my phone. 2 are with flash, 1 without flash (and not colour accurate at all).

Plants are near end of Week 8 of flower, let's say just passed 8.5 weeks out of about 12.5 weeks total. By now I can say for sure they actually need the big nutes doses cause I see a cycle of them looking a bit worse when there is almost need to water them, then slowly getting some colour back after the nute waterings. Also, I managed to delay a watering so much they were droopy and then watered at same double strenght and plants did not show any bad signs. So if they can take double dose when droopy and not flare in burns right after it, I'd say they can take that double dosage with no problem. So, in retrospective, me doubting the nute need and trying to water only water or diluted nutes trying to get a confirmation they are hungry was a bad ideea. But what's done is done and we must go on. Smell is starting to get sweeter and more frutty-tropical, ateast 2 plants have started to orange their "beards", and soon they should start to bulk up a bit and throw some foxtails. They will receive nutes for 1.5 to 2 more weeks, then I want a nice 2.5 weeks of fading. Both to make sure the smoke is super smooth (as I am sure there are elements I watered in excess that they did not manage to use, because they needed some more than others), and also because I am trying to map their need for nutes (as in seeing which deficiencies show first and in which order, for a try at dialing my nutrient ratios better next grow). Even if this looks far from perfect, by now I am sure the bud will be top notch and the most valuable thing is that I learned a lot.
Anyway, I did wrote a lot so let's stop the writing. Here are the pics:

Click image for larger version  Name:	noexif_c4cb1921.jpg Views:	1 Size:	440.4 KB ID:	17856050

Click image for larger version  Name:	noexif_0711e9ac.jpg Views:	1 Size:	481.7 KB ID:	17856052

Click image for larger version  Name:	noexif_0711e9ac.jpg Views:	1 Size:	481.7 KB ID:	17856052

Thank you for checking my thread and I promise I'll do a proper update with better pics soon! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you for checking my thread!
I agree, and knowing I got more watts than last time and also knowing from before that swazi packs up yeld late in flower, there is still time for the surprise to get bigger from now on.
:wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Small text update.
Start of week 9 flowering.
By now almost all plants show orange hairs on older parts of the buds, and some of them started throwing out foxtails.
About 3.5 weeks of flowering left.
~~One more week of nutes and we slowly start the fade.
Update with better pictures should come over the weekend or at the start of next week.
See you soon!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Been lazy again so I took another round of quick snaps with the phone. Flash on/Flash off.
Almost 9.5 weeks flower out of about 12.5 weeks total.
They will receive nutes for the next 2 waterings (about 1 more week of nutes), then it's just water till the end.
Sorry for the pic quality but I'd rather have some pics to show progress rather than have none. Better quality pics will come.

noexif_bd8f93a1.jpg

P1120434

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
One thing that is interesting about sativas is that trichomes are so tiny that you can't see them with naked eye, and they only show in pics when the flash is powerful and there is a lot of tricome coverage. Swazi rooibard has some of the smaller trichs I ever seen, but has a lot of them. You'll have to trust me for now that they already have a lot of trichomes, but you guys will only be able to see them better near the end of flower, and after harvest.
hope to deliver a full update with better pics this week, but my schedule is kinda crowded atm. I'll at least try to deliver 1 or 2 fast snaps with the phone during the week, if I got no time for taking and uploading camera pics.
Also, the new Mars Hydro SP3000 I won at the 4.20 Giveaway was taking lots of space on the floor of my garage so I hung it in the tent yesterday, where it will patiently wait for it's turn, next grow. As I already said, it's a monster of a light and barely fits in my tent. I had to put it a bit diagonally to fit it in.
See you guys and gals soon! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Time for an update! We are around start of week 10 of flowering, today or tommorow they will receive last nute watering, the just water for about another 2.5 weeks.
I tried to take as many pics as possible from many angles, but lots of them ended being not well lit or overexposed. The resin shines very much when flash hits it so most of the pics that ended up good to use were made with flash on minimum setting. At least I learned something. Also, this grow, even if plants are defficient, I feel I have the most resinous swazi I ever grown, and I am sure they will pack more trichomes in the coming weeks!
If you feel you can give me an opinion or pointer or any help about the deficiencies I have in there, please do it. Anything helps. Even if it's just an ideea that might help me research more into the problem. I just want to be better next grow. And have healthier and nicer looking plants.
Enjoy the pics:

noexif_801a5c65.jpg

noexif_841c36b0.jpg

noexif_9ffbf48c.jpg

noexif_58d6b11c.jpg

noexif_22f50ef4.jpg

noexif_7712c32a.jpg

noexif_784df93f.jpg

noexif_1ab8ad30.jpg

noexif_9f89cf2a.jpg

noexif_623f158c.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
After chatting about this with some fellow growers I decided they have enaugh N in them so I could start feeding just water from now, so no more nutes. So I guess we could say the fade already started, as they are 4 days since last nute watering, and tonight or tommorow they will receive first watering of plain water and nothing more till the harvest.
We'll see how this goes! :wave: