What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Here we go again..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello nh,
I haven't grown swazi for a few years myself so can't wait to smoke it again.
Yeah, that's spaghnum moss.
Last 2 inches of soil from the top is unferted potting ground mixed with perlite and spaghnum moss.
Welcome to my thread! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Update time! Plants are 1 week, 1 day old (8days) since germination. Light is dimmed on minimum (48 W at the outlet). 23 deg. C and 70% RH.
Soil humidity sensors will be set up later this week.
Enjoy the pics:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sampas92

Just newbin
Update time! Plants are 1 week, 1 day old (8days) since germination. Light is dimmed on minimum (48 W at the outlet). 23 deg. C and 70% RH.
Soil humidity sensors will be set up later this week.
Enjoy the pics:
View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

explosive i saw earlier that you pretend to water them from the bottom, starting when?right now or a bit older for the roots handle the water better?
Take pics when you do it please

Peace & puff puff :tiphat:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They are already watered mostly from the bottom with some misting at the top. I plan on automating it tho.
Also, what would you want to see? Last watering was me dumping 4 liters of water into the tray. What is there to picture in this action?
Anyway, the humidity is pretty high so the take water slow, that watering will probably last the whole week. Especially with the mistings I do once or twice a day, that add a bit of water as well.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
More than 2 weeks after germination started, we got a late comer to the party:
picture.php

It will probably be culled but nature is interesting.
There's a seed for every oportunity there's to come. And they just wait for their right time to germinate.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The 250 ml per pot watering lasted 6 days and they were a bit thirsty this morning. As I will soon calibrate the soil sensors I just sprayed some water on the soil surface so they last a day or two more till they need a watering. Then I will set up the sensors and have a baseline for "almost dry".

gizmo666

Hey exploziv plants are coming along nicely
I vote for the late arrival to live lols
You should give it a Seperate home and extra love

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thanks for coming in, gizmo666!

To be honest I could have put 5 x 5 grid, for 25 pots in there. But I was lazy when I was searching for and washing the pots. So I stopped at 16. Maybe this will help later when they get more crowded. When I do another grow with indicas or hybrids I would for sure do 25 plants, but now for sativas I think 16 is plenty.
And 16+1 would just fuck up the nice grid I got. So sadly she will probably join the other ~50 siblings of hers in the compost pile. I will let her enjoy the light for a little while, tho.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello flylowgethigh!
I am asking myself that, i guess they do, at least a bit, but it's ok for now. I don't know what's up with the variegation tho, don't remember seeing that before when I grew it.
Hope they don't stall. Till now they grew beautifully!

VanVulpen

Veteran
So when do you plan to switch over to 12/12? Just a wild guess here but with sativas like Swazi they won't really start flowering till they're getting root bounded. Love the narrow leafs, btw :good:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you for your visit, VV!
I will probably switch to 12/12 in about 2 weeks.
From then I am hoping it will take about 12.5 weeks till the end of flower, like swazi had before.
We'll see about that, I guess.
I may have a lot of lst to do in the near future..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello! Soil humidity sensors are calibrated and set up.
Variation is mostly because circulation fans are on the right and they dry the plant rows next to them faster. Soon I will put the gravel on the surface on the soil and soil readings should be way more stable and with less variation. Sensors go 1 to 4, from left to right and front to back at the same time. Sensor 1 is front-left, sensor 4 is back-right.
picture.php

picture.php

Forgot to add they have received 2 liters of water into the tray 2 days ago, not just the water spray (as they were more thristy than I anticipated). And the small late coming seedling has been moved to the compost pile.
In 1 to 2 weeks they should be good for 12/12 light schedule. For now the light is still at minimum power (48W) and on all the time.
Soon I should start rising light power, and I hope to have the gravel in and a bit of lst started by the time I switch them to flower.
See you next week for a bigger update with better pics.

Later.edit: I actually belive the plants in the middle are suffering a bit from too much light. That's why I belive it would be great if the ligjt had it's minimum power at 30w or so and not 48w. It would fit the needs of a full grow better. @mars hydro led should take a note of this.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
After a bit of soil surface spraying I managed to raise the humidity on the right side. Soon those fans will be on pwm control and will not dry that area this much. Also gravel will help with this soon.

picture.php

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Today I worked on a project in the garage so I heated it up to a nice and cozy 24C. The grow got to 24.8 C and when I checked soil probes they were all saying 100%. Given the fact I haven't given them extra water how could that happen?
I smoke a joint and think about it for a bit and I throw out a guess. Condensation on the probes makes them see water on their surface so they read 100%.
I pull one out and it feels wet, not usual size droplets but some small ones all over.
So around 90% soil humidity sensors may be even 10% off. But that's not a problem because I don't want to be exact in this interval but more in the under 80% and over 50% interval. From my experience in that interval they are just 1 to 2 % off (fullscale).

Since I wrote this interesting fact, let me tell you also abou the plants. They are growing well, getting more uniform in size and I have also raised the light 3-4 cm and turned the it up to 30% or so (haven't measured the power draw yet but will do it soon.).
Update will come in one or 2 days.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello guys and galls! Update time!
Plants are 2 weeks, 2 days old from germination.
I set the light yesterday at 30-40% but it was too powerful. The Mars Hydro light is now 45 cm away from the plants and dimmed at around 20-25% power, which seems to mean 72 W. Will try to raise it a couple tens of watts every week till I reqch max power or a good wattage for the plants. I may not want to give 100% power to the sativas so they then overgrow the tent. Will raise it bit by bit. Will probably reach full power by the end of flower, if all goes well, grow temps are good and plants can take it. So far I am very happy with the light. Very powerful. I used to leave the ts1000 panel on sometimes when I looked at the plants, this one is brighter, much more leds togheter, actually I belive they are double or so wattage and led diode number should be about double as well on the ts2000. You can't take pictures with the light on, not even with it away and on low. That is why I take pics with light off. Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Front-left quarter:
picture.php

Back-left quarter:
picture.php

Front-right quarter:
picture.php

Back-right quarter:
picture.php

GROUP PIC:
picture.php

They will remain in veg for at least one more week. And I hope they grow a bit meanwhile so i can start lst-ing them. See you around!

aliceklar

. I may not want to give 100% power to the sativas so they then overgrow the tent.

Babies looking good!

Just to say - Intense light wont make the plants grow too tall - it is lack of light that makes plants leggy. Give them as much as they can take! (and increasing it incrementally, as you plan to, seems like a sound idea to avoid shocking or burning them). Good luck!