What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Here we go again..

VanVulpen

Veteran
Hei Exploziv,
I'm watching you buddy, make sure you don't phuk up on these, I'm only kidding I know you won't just as I know that the sun will rise in the morning...
:tiphat:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Time for an update..
Ofc too many germinated. It's just my luck. But better have too many than have not enaugh.
So I had to figure out a way to put more pots, and since this is a sativa it doesn't need a big pot anway. I've grown swazi in the past in pots of 1 liter and it was still great.
Having no patience to fill tens of 1 liter pots I decided to go with 16 x 4.5 liter pots, standard nursery pot size.

Spacing seems to be ok:
picture.php

Light is waiting:
picture.php

Pots filled with soil (mostly recycled soil from last grow, plus some extras in there to refresh it):
picture.php

Last 2 inches of soil from the top is unferted potting ground mixed with perlite and spaghnum moss.
The bottom part is quite hot mix and I hope they reach that when they are mature enaugh to take it.
I plan on not needing as much liquid ferts as before, when I had to give double dose of nutes every watering, now I plan to go with half to full dose (when needed) of nutes every watering, with a pause on nutes each 3rd watering.
They received 2 liters of water as a spray on the surface and 3 liters of water into the tray to raise humidity in the tent and have the soil moist all the way. Since my garage floor wasn't level and I planned on watering from the bottom mostly i had to get creative with some fabrics I had laying around to make a level base for the tray. And it seems to work.
They will still need water which I will provide by spraying the surface of the soil a couple of times a day and also setting up the humidifier soon.
Ventilation is not yet needed.
Light will be powered on tommorow at minimum power which is around 50W. Distance from the light will be set at 30 to 40 cm.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They can flower forever, hence it's often a good idea to put the timer to 11/13 or 10/14 to mimick the shorter daylight duration at a later date in the year. It makes them speed up their flowering so that you can harvest them after 5 not 6 months hahaha.

BTW I've done this with many cultivars and while I don't know all the details, shortening the daytime further than 12/12 brings out some different expressions in plants than under 12/12.
CC

This one I flowered before and it does ok at 12/12. I might shorten it later if I see they take too much. But they are done in about 12.5 weeks from flowering at 12/12, and I am ok with that.

Interesting what you say, msybe I should try it sometimes.
Thanks for coming by, bro!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Everything going well. Almost all pots have at least one plant germinated and above soil some of them have 2, but I will cull the weakest plants as I find them. See you in about 1 week for a real update.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Everything going well. Almost all pots have at least one plant germinated and above soil some of them have 2, but I will cull the weakest plants as I find them. See you in about 1 week for a real update.
Great start.
I hate popping "old" seeds.

This is gonna be big fun :dance013:

P :smoke:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@Paddi I misjudged the germ rate by about 4X.
But I am happy I have enaugh of them. That's what matters.

@gizmo666 you are welcomed to take a seat. Things should get interesting in a while.

gizmo666

@Paddi I misjudged the germ rate by about 4X.
But I am happy I have enaugh of them. That's what matters.

@gizmo666 you are welcomed to take a seat. Things should get interesting in a while.
i would love to exploziv
its good to have the chance to learn from folks like you

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
After I culled 24 plants I am left with an average of 2 plants per pot. Still gonna hunt the runt till only one of them is left in each pot.

aliceklar

Nice! Subbed. Got a lotta love for old skool sativas :)

:lurk:

Re your question about daylength, I've grown landrace Johaar and Highland Thai, and found that a 11.5/12.5 or 11/13 day/night schedule helps them to ripen and finish. You can always start with 12/12 and cut it down towards the end if they are taking too long.

You also might be able to get away with having more than one plant per pot, with pots so big (and sativas, which dont need so much nutes) - and remember half of them will be males, so can be culled after they have done their business (you're doing this as a preservation run, right?).

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello aliceklar, plans changed a bit since the germination rate was about 80% and not the 20% I was expectiong. I have 16 pots of 4.5 liters now, instead of the 4 pots of 12 liters from the last grow. I guess 16 plants that should give 6 to 12 females are more than enaugh for my space and light.
Also, I am not so pressed to make seeds as I considered initially, but I am still considering doing a controlled pollenisation of the early pistils so I get both of best worlds, some seeds at the base of older buds and also sinsemilla bud at the tops of the plant and top of the older , lower buds.
If any of you has any input or advice on this I am really open to hearing it.
Seedlings going great, soil is almost completely moistened, and plants receive sprays 2 times a day. Light is on all the time, placed about 30-35 cm away on minimum power, which is just under 50W. It will probably stay like this for the first 2 weeks or so.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah but when you pollenise a bud you risk getting pollen on more of them. If i just leave the males to open their first "batch" of pollen and then kill them, just pistils that are already developed should take the bulk of pollen, with some unplanned later pollination from random pollen that remains active for a bit in the growtent. And only preflowers and base of older and bigger buds should get seeds.
Has anyone did this and can give some info? (Maybe on purpose, maybe by mistake?)

I never did it but i remember hearing about this.

aliceklar

Yeah but when you pollenise a bud you risk getting pollen on more of them. If i just leave the males to open their first "batch" of pollen and then kill them, just pistils that are already developed should take the bulk of pollen, with some unplanned later pollination from random pollen that remains active for a bit in the growtent. And only preflowers and base of older and bigger buds should get seeds.
Has anyone did this and can give some info? (Maybe on purpose, maybe by mistake?)

I never did it but i remember hearing about this.

Once males start to show sex, I tend to remove them from the flowering space within a week or so. It generally takes at least a couple of weeks from first male flowers showing to pollen being released, so it can be managed safely. Males need very little light to produce pollen - you can trim each one down to a single branch, or chop off buds and put them in a glass of water to keep for a couple of weeks once they are budding nicely. I tend to keep mine in the bathroom for the 2-3 weeks that they are useful :D If you're careful, there should be little or no unintended pollination. Use a paint brush or Qtip, turn the fans off / close windows etc & minimise air movement. Ideally you should remove each female from the flower room to pollinate and return afterwards. You can also put a paper bag over the pollinated bud for a few days until it is set, and then carefully remove the bag and spray with plain water from a spray mist to finish off any stray pollen.

Oh, and remember to tag any pollinated buds! Masking tape works well.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
After culling about 40 seedlings I am left with 14 pots of 1 plant each and 2 pots of 2 plants each.
In a couple of days I will decide on those as well, and then I will make an update, probably coming on monday.
They already received about 100 grams of avb (vape spent bud) as a topdress that has been watered in with a compost tea.
Humidifier has just been added and now I am able to have the humidity at around 75%. Before it was about 50-55%.
Also, just around monday as well i will set up the soil humidity probes. Need to calibrate them well as this grow I plan on automatic watering.

Rembetis

Exploziv, just found your thread. Good luck with them, I will be following along. I m doing a similar grow. Planted 50 Mozambique seeds looking for a few keepers

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you, brother! You are more than welcomed to have a sit and watch the show! :wave:

Later.edit:
Did some tests for the watering and it seems that 4 liters in the tray is enaugh to reach all pots and water the little seedlings. That's 250 ml of water per pot. It will be considered as the minimal watering from now on. A good watering for when they will be bigger would probably be 2-3 times that, or about 20% of soil volume. But we'll see about that when time comes.
Most plants have grown a bit of leaves by now. See you next week for the update.

Some pics of the bigger seedlings while we wait:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I like the fact I can tell they are pure sativas by the leaf ratios already!

Last edited:

Northernhemis

Hello Siv !
Nice with the mars led lamp and redbeards never seen those before or perhaps i have years ago fun to see this grow how it turn out for you ! is that moss you have in those black pots ? anywho it will be fun to see always fun to look upon grows . / PR North Sweden