What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600 watt metal halide for seed plants?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Hello all, i was wondering if a 600 watt MH bulb would work?

Plan was germinating the seed first then putting them into 4 inch plastic containers for a few weeks before transplanting into 1 gallon containers.

I have t-5's fluorescent but it seems to take a bit longer, and its cold in the space id be starting them in... I figure the 600 watt MH bulb would help keep room warmer. Thanks

troutman

Seed Whore
I have two 600 watt Digital Ballasts with built in dimmers and have used them almost the entire grow after 2 weeks
or so of T-5 for baby plants. I set the 600 MH light high initially like 30 inches and bring it down slowly over time.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
It will be in a 4x4 tray, but i will pack them as close to each other as i can.
Also they will be regular seed not feminized...

Plan was try and put them under 24 hours, until i re pot into 1 gallon containers and cut the hours back to 18, thinking that will make them show their sex earlier? I usually veg under 18

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I have two 600 watt Digital Ballasts with built in dimmers and have used them almost the entire grow after 2 weeks or so of T-5 for baby plants.

Im trying to cut out the fluorescent, t5's. I got a new 600W MH bulb.
Thanks for the input

I don't really wanna buy 16 new tube bulbs for my two t5's if i have a brand new MH bulb

troutman

Seed Whore
I never use 24 hours. I think that's a waste of electricity and plants can use a little down time. :tiphat:

This grow I'm using LED's for the 1st time in an attempt to see how they compare to MH.

I have two SF4000 with built-in dimmer going now. They run a lot cooler than MH which could be great in Summer for indoor growers. :)

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I never use 24 hours. I think that's a waste of electricity and plants can use a little down time. :tiphat:

This grow I'm using LED's for the 1st time in an attempt to see how they compare to MH.

I have two SF4000 with built-in dimmer going now. They run a lot cooler than MH which could be great in Summer for indoor growers. :)

Thats always been my approach too 18 hours, electricity isn't a problem... I just figure the 600 would help keeping the room warm under 24 hrs, and when i cut back to 18 they'd show their sex earlier.. I have to check out my ballast, i think there is a dimmer on it

troutman

Seed Whore
I can set my 600 watts Digital Ballasts at MH at 50%, 75% and 100 % power which is great. :)

With baby seedlings I start at 50%.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I can set my 600 watts Digital Ballasts at MH at 50%, 75% and 100 % power which is great. :)

With baby seedlings I start at 50%.

guess I can do that too, i have a quantum series ballast that dimms...

I just wanna skip the t5's and was wondering if anyone has tried a MH bulb instead of fluorescent bulbs not on baby seedling or cuts, but on sow seeds or germinated seed that have yet to break the surface of the soil?

Mr. Stinky

Plenty. I like a little bit of stretch in my veg room for easier cloning. I cover 5x5 with a 400mh. always on 24/7. You can get away with less wattage and hotter nutes under 24/7. I tried 18-6 but had issues with some early flowering and couldn't get my viking gold to reveg or stay in veg. Been on 24-0 for 15 years since. I add extra lights when I'm flowering autos in the veg room, but normally just the1 400 is plenty to keep me busy

The heat of the hid lights definitely helps germination and seedlings take right off when the break the surface. It keeps them from damping off as much too if you're a serial overwaterer like me

picture.php

picture.php

xerb

Sounds like the perfect setup for vegging

Sounds like the perfect setup for vegging

I prefer metal halide or CMH for seedlings. It keeps the internode length short.

Look at these, they popped out of the soil 16 days ago.

Be ready to switch to 12/12 at about 3 weeks!

In my experience, seedlings grow much better under 24 hour light.
Don't forget to turn on the fan.

It's hard to do much better than this in 2 weeks!

For outdoor plants I usually start them late and veg them inside for about 4-5 weeks.

A typical plant might be 24-30 inches tall and growing extremely fast.

Some strains will already be showing pre-flowers. XERB