What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jerry Garcia Growing Up

Jerry_Garcia

So I have installed a 4" inline 200 cfm exhaust fan inside the grow tent. I have it on its lowest setting and am getting slight negative pressure inside which I'm happy with. I am using a 6" passive intake and so far so good. I'll let things get settled inside and get some temp/humidity readings soon.

I started germinating 5 NL#2 x Chem x OPG this weekend. Three are up, one just germinated and one has yet to pop. I believe I mentioned this above, these seeds were freebies from Seed Boutique. A picture of the bag seed at about 12 days and of the NL#2 cross seedling. Oh, and it seems my pictures often show up rotated...how the heck can I correct this?

Crazy Chester

Oh, and it seems my pictures often show up rotated...how the heck can I correct this?
Wish I knew the answer to that one, because it happens often to me too.

In any event - I think you are going to have a good grow - those seedlings look like their ready for it!

Jerry_Garcia

A little update. Everything is going much better with the airflow through the tent. The (NL#2 x Chem) x OPG seedlings are looking healthy in the tent. 4 of the 5 are up with the last one sprouted and waiting for it to break ground in a rapid rooter. The bag seed plants are starting to take off. I seem to have 2 runts out of the 6. They are just growing significantly slower than the other 4. Will likely pull those unless they improve. Humidity is holding well around 43% and the temps are ranging from 73-83F. Again, I wish it was a few degrees cooler but I’m gonna run these out as is unless the temps tic up a bit. Then I’ll have to consider some AC.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I have installed a 4" inline 200 cfm exhaust fan inside the grow tent. I have it on its lowest setting and am getting slight negative pressure inside which I'm happy with. I am using a 6" passive intake and so far so good. I'll let things get settled inside and get some temp/humidity readings soon.

I started germinating 5 NL#2 x Chem x OPG this weekend. Three are up, one just germinated and one has yet to pop. I believe I mentioned this above, these seeds were freebies from Seed Boutique. A picture of the bag seed at about 12 days and of the NL#2 cross seedling. Oh, and it seems my pictures often show up rotated...how the heck can I correct this?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83932&pictureid=2064571&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83932&pictureid=2064570&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Hey Jerry Garcia... “Here Comes Sunshine” ... do you have a photo editing program ? If so do a slight maneuvere on the photo and save it in the proper position before you upload you won’t have a problem with awkward rotation.peace

Jerry_Garcia

Hey Jerry Garcia... “Here Comes Sunshine” ... do you have a photo editing program ? If so do a slight maneuvere on the photo and save it in the proper position before you upload you won’t have a problem with awkward rotation.peace

“The Sky was yellow and the sun was blue”

Thanks Star Crash! I do have Photoshop on my laptop. I’ll give it a try

Jerry_Garcia

A quick little update. The (NL#2 x Chem) x OPG seedlings have been placed under the HPS. The 6 bag seed plants are around 5-6.5 inches now and looking very good. I took two of them this morning and am trying my hand at some LST for the first time. One I did more of a supercrop. I've always been a bit reluctant to mess with my plants this way but given I am just growing these out for fun, I figured it was a good time to play around a bit and test some new growing skills. I also gave the 6 bag seeds a good drink this morning (300 ml) with some very week Earth Juice tea I have been brewing.

Jerry_Garcia

Was playing around some more with the bag seed plant that I tried to super crop and snapped her a little too much. Not a complete break, maybe a third was left together. I braced the stem up with a straw and wrapped the break with some micro pore tape. Crossing my fingers this little baby survives.

Last edited:

Crazy Chester

Was playing around some more with the bag seed plant that I tried to super crop and snapped her a little too much. Not a complete break, maybe a third was left together. I braced the stem up with a straw and wrapped the break with some micro pore tape. Crossing my fingers this little baby survives.

All things being equal - that broken seedling will probably survive. I learned through tree grafting that all that is needed is the cambrium (layer immediately below the outer layer of the stem) to contact the cambrium of the the other plant for it to graft on - and it doesn't need to make contact along the whole graft cut - contact with about 1/3 of it usually works.

Crazy Chester

A little update. Everything is going much better with the airflow through the tent. The (NL#2 x Chem) x OPG seedlings are looking healthy in the tent. 4 of the 5 are up with the last one sprouted and waiting for it to break ground in a rapid rooter. The bag seed plants are starting to take off. I seem to have 2 runts out of the 6. They are just growing significantly slower than the other 4. Will likely pull those unless they improve. Humidity is holding well around 43% and the temps are ranging from 73-83F. Again, I wish it was a few degrees cooler but I’m gonna run these out as is unless the temps tic up a bit. Then I’ll have to consider some AC.
So far so good on the garden climate, Jerry. You should be ok - as you said - if the ambient weather doesn't get too out of line. A high temp of 83 degrees should be fine with the humidity in line like it is. I don't think I've seen high temp problems in the grows I've done until 86+ degrees and that was only with some strains.

Jerry_Garcia

All things being equal - that broken seedling will probably survive. I learned through tree grafting that all that is needed is the cambrium (layer immediately below the outer layer of the stem) to contact the cambrium of the the other plant for it to graft on - and it doesn't need to make contact along the whole graft cut - contact with about 1/3 of it usually works.

Thanks Chester, I'm not overly concerned and I suspect you are right...it should survive. It was braced up and taped within 5 minutes of the break so at least I was able to get to it quickly. It's funny, I read that some people use duct tape to put stems back together. It must work but I just couldn't bring myself to wrap that on. The micropore tape should do the trick just fine and should be a tad easier to remove.

Crazy Chester

Thanks Chester, I'm not overly concerned and I suspect you are right...it should survive. It was braced up and taped within 5 minutes of the break so at least I was able to get to it quickly. It's funny, I read that some people use duct tape to put stems back together. It must work but I just couldn't bring myself to wrap that on. The micropore tape should do the trick just fine and should be a tad easier to remove.
Yeah, any tape would probably work, but I'd rather use what you used for the same reason.

Jerry_Garcia

I’ve decided to gear down to a 600w bulb. I think I’ll be better off overall with some reduction in temperature and possibly/hopefully minimal loss in yield. I went in to check the plants today and one is showing some heat stress. The rest look fine but seeing that pushed me to get some 600w bulbs on order. I’m also gonna toss in a 600w MH for veg and give that a try. Glad I went with a dimmable ballast which makes this change not too costly. The electricity savings alone will also be nice. I’ll make the change Friday.

Jerry_Garcia

I find it hard to believe but the plant that I broke while supercropping has already recovered after approx. 36 hours. The top of the plant had been laid over since the break and this morning she is standing straight up. Good start to the day! I am on day 20 since the seeds broke ground.

Crazy Chester

...this morning she is standing straight up.

Great news, Jerry! Those young ones have such a vigor and will to live. I once dropped a seedling that was about a week old planted in a cube - it hit the ground seedling first and it completely severed the seedling near the top of the cube. I picked up the severed seedling and pushed it into the cube next to its old stem and root and it was growing again in a week!

Jerry_Garcia

I agree Chester, pretty unreal, I didn’t expect it to bounce back that quick.

So the 600w MH is in and the 1000 HPS is out. I’ll get some temp and humidity readings later today once the room gets a chance to adjust. I’m now debating putting a 400w MH in my veg tent. It will certainly beat the corn cob light I have in there and would be a much better light for my future mother, clones, vegging plants. Of course my concern will be temp inside the tent but I just may give that a try. I have the air cooled hood in there already so just need to grab myself another ballast and bulb.

Jerry_Garcia

So I guess I am on day 21 for the six bag seed plants on top and just around a week for the (NL#2 x Chem) x OPG on the bottom. Temperature at the moment is 80F with humidity at 42%. All seems to be well at the moment. My thought right now is to veg the bag seed plants maybe for another 3 weeks and if they look ready, I"ll transplant them into 7 gal bags and then make the switch to 12/12. I have no clue what kind of stretch to expect so I wanna play it somewhat safe. They appear to be leaning indica so I'm thinking the stretch may not be too bad...we'll see. Once I put those in flower, I'll bring the 3 NL#2 crosses back into the tent. Now to decide if I should get a 400w MH set up in there before that happens...

G

Hey Jerry, good to see you're doing alright. So, what are the temps

doing now?

Jerry_Garcia

Hey Jerry, good to see you're doing alright. So, what are the temps

doing now?

Hi Ivan, thanks for checking in. Currently the room is sitting at 78F. I would really like to try a 400w MH in the veg tent now but of course concerned what that will do to the room temp overall. Debating grabbing a ballast and bulb today just to give it a try. I just don’t feel the 100w corn cob light that was recommended to me will be enough light for a full 4x4 tent. What do you think?

Latest posts

Latest posts