What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jerry Garcia Growing Up

Jerry_Garcia

Good thought Ivan. I was thinking the negative pressure in the room would pull air into the tent as well as the rest of the room. I could certainly be wrong here. Setting up a fan to blow air in wouldn’t be too difficult if it is going to be necessary. This is exactly why I am running bag seed for my first run! Gotta get this room ready for the strains I paid good money for.

And yes, I’m getting some “yo-yo’s” for light adjustment. I thought of stacking storage tubs or the like but some extra ducting and a pair of rope hangers wasn’t that expensive so I figured I better do it right the first time.

Crazy Chester

Hi Jerry - looks good - those bag seeds plants look like they are ready to do some serious growing!

For temperature control - I'd put a 10,000 btu air conditioner in whatever room you are bringing the incoming air from - if it is a room.

If not, maybe you can put a homemade swamp cooler in the basement using box fan, towel and a water container for the towel to wick from - if you can spare the extra humidity.

Or, if your incoming air is coming from directly outside and if you have the room to put in two more lines of flexible duct tubing, you can use one of those air conditioners that doesn't need to be fixed in a window and just sits in the room drawing air in through its ducting and exhausting air out through another duct.

Jerry_Garcia

Man, I really want to avoid having a portable ac unit in there but I’ll admit I have been pricing them. It wouldn’t be that hard, I would just pop a hole through the wall for the exhaust into the rest of my unfinished basement.

Humidity in Missouri is certainly an issue so bringing more into the room is not optimal.

Crazy Chester

Humidity in Missouri is certainly an issue so bringing more into the room is not optimal.
Missouri - now, that's humid...

Hopefully, you have plenty of electrical power to draw from, because your de-humidifier must be a beast!

I think air conditioning also raises the humidity in a room slightly.

G

Good thought Ivan. I was thinking the negative pressure in the room would pull air into the tent as well as the rest of the room. I could certainly be wrong here. Setting up a fan to blow air in wouldn’t be too difficult if it is going to be necessary. This is exactly why I am running bag seed for my first run! Gotta get this room ready for the strains I paid good money for.

And yes, I’m getting some “yo-yo’s” for light adjustment. I thought of stacking storage tubs or the like but some extra ducting and a pair of rope hangers wasn’t that expensive so I figured I better do it right the first time.

To make it more understandable...where is your exhaust fan hanging? Because mine will be inside the tent,sucking air though the filter and silencer and from there on it pushes it throught he coolshade out of the tent into the garage. It folds the tent up like a little drink tetea pak almost being emtpy amd because of the air inlets on the bottom of the tent,it automatically ducks fresh air in. When i hqve time after work i look fo4 a picture of how i will run it. I hope you only have to change position of your exhaust fan

G

Missouri - now, that's humid...

Hopefully, you have plenty of electrical power to draw from, because your de-humidifier must be a beast!

I think air conditioning also raises the humidity in a room slightly.

I always thought ac's work by taking the humididty out the air :chin:

Jerry_Garcia

Ivan, the fan is above, just outside my tent. It’s drawing air through a carbon filter, through my HPS hood, into the tent, through my LED hood, out of the tent and pushing the air out through an outside vent. I think Chester might be right, my main issue may be lack of fresh air into the tent. I’m still learning the new setup but I’ll get it dialed in eventually. Appreciate the comments.

Crazy Chester

What if you placed one of those commercial portable ac units into the 9x13 room, and:

1. Vented the heat from the ac unit to the outdoors via insulated ducting through the wall (but away from your outdoors air intake);
2. Vented your air intake to the ac unit from the coolest driest part of your house (or nearby outside the house); and,
3. Constructed a box, maybe even a tote, filled with salt or other dessicant that is placed either at the beginning of the air intake or between the end of the air intake duct and the ac unit. That way the ac will only take in and give out air that's dryer than the outdoors environment.

Long term, if you have access to a backhoe and can do what you want on the land, you can dig an area out big enough to coil some of that black drainage tubing (I think it's 6" to maybe 8" in diameter) and bury it at least four feet deep, where the land keeps the temp at a constant 50-60 degrees. Leave the two ends of the tubing out of the ground to use as air intake and air supply ends and place the intake at the coolest place on your property and the outlet at the dessicant box. Then the ac can only draw air that's both cooler and dryer than the ambient environment to pre-cool and dehumidify the air that the ac cools even more before exhausting it into your 9x13 room.

In the winter, if it freezes where you live and the humidity plummets, you can replace the dessicant box with a wet towel that wicks water up from a tub and run only the fan on the ac unit. That way, you can heat your basement room up high enough, with the help of your lights and humid enough for happy winter plants.

But, you REALLY got to have the DIY bug bad to put in a passive geothermal cooling/heating system!

G

Hey Jerry, I thought about it again and again.
I think you made a mistake with your air ducting set up here. To me it sounds like you clean the air inside your room with the carbon filter, rather then the air from inside your tent on its way out. And in the pic it looks like you have nothing sucking the air out the tent either. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can u make another pic of the fan and filter and its pluming?
If thats the case,you might just solve the temperature issues without any other gear.

Jerry_Garcia

Ivan, I think you are right. I had 2 long time growers help me with this build and I think airflow in and out of the tent was just not thought of. I should have questioned this with them. I put some seedlings in my tray and dome propagator last night in the tent and I think this morning I am seeing some white mold on the stems. Must be because of the lack of airflow. Here are some pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jerry_Garcia

Ivan, I'm glad you confirmed what I was thinking here about the fresh airflow into the tent. I have an inline fan on the way that pulls around 200 cfm. I will pull air out with the fan and have a passive intake to bring the fresh air in. This should work. Thanks again, I think I'm getting close to having this setup ready to go.

Crazy Chester

How about this?

How about this?

So I will be looking for an easy way to get some fresh air moving through the tent. Any thoughts?

You can use two 440 CFM fans - one hooked up like you've done already (but without the carbon filter and exhausting straight out of the room into the unfinished basement).

The other fan can be used to exhaust the entire room into the unfinished basement. I think the rest (venting of tent) can be done with passive intakes/exhausts.

I'm thinking something like this:

Jerry_Garcia

Chester, you even gave me a diagram! Well done. I'm gonna give the fan inside the tent, like I mentioned above, a try first. It's a very easy thing to try...I'll have the fan and some additional ducting arriving tomorrow so I will know soon if it does what I need it to do.

Crazy Chester

You'll get it done one way or another. I actually don't think your temp is that big of a deal in any event. I'm more worried for you with the humidity - hopefully that big 1000 watter dries the room out sufficiently if you are not using a dehumidifier.

G

Thanks for the pics. I thought there was something funny. I didn't realize you grow inside and outside your grow tent. I think all you need is another fan like crazy chester suggested too. Maybe a bit stronger cheap inline fan which you just run without filter to move the air out the top of your tent. And then cross fingers and toes your humidity is ok. That would be a lot cheaper than an ac. Let us know how you go

G

I forgot to mention, with your tent being inside another growroom..make sure you check from inside the fully closed tent and inside lights off, if light travels through the airvents. You might have to build a better light trap then whats given to the tent or you might end up with hermis in your flower room..thats if I'm right assuming you use the tent for the mothwrs and clones.

Last edited: