What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

dmoose

:canabis:First off, let me start by saying Thank You for continuing this thread! So many times I get to the end of a 14 Page thread to find it closed or ended.

I started with a DIY Bubble Cloner out of the 6 Qt Plastic Shoebox, and it worked great, but I kept getting White Powdery Mildew or PM, therefor not always acheiving 100%. So I went back to basics and just dipped my cuttings in Clonex, and inserting into RockWool, Rapid Rooters, and/or Sure To Grow Cubes. Stuck them in the Humidity Dome with Heating Pad, and roots were popping out at about 6 days. And I was Fine with that! Until....... I Read This Thread! Checking the Cubes everynight to make sure they are not too dry, and making sure you dont over water them.....etc. So I did try this system with 1 small modification. Instead of drilling holes in the caps, I cut small squares from some leftover foam board I had made 2" pucks for my cloner. It left alot of room for the water to wick, and held the verm up very well. And I used another clear plastic shoebox for a humidity dome for the 1st couple of days, but decided to take it off with no ill effects.

I have to admit, it is one of the easiest ways to clone. The only thing you should do is change the water sitting in the bottom every couple days so it stays high in o2. I only changed it once at 7 days, but today is 14 days. I havent pulled one yet tonight, but I can see most of the roots are sticking out the bottoms.

You dont have to worry about the moisture level, like in Rock Wool and Rapid Rooters. I never even misted them. I did add 1/4 strength nutes at day 9 or 10 because they were asking for them.

Below is at 7 days

IMG_5660.jpg

Below is at 8 days, with the verm rinsed off

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Below is another at 12 days, I love that the roots have nowhere to go but down. I transplanted this into and 16 Oz Hempy Cup (hole on side about 1" from bottom, filled with 100% perlite) So the roots started out allready in the res, which jump starts veg growth!

IMG_5722.jpg

I just took these tonight at 14 days, you can see the veg growth is not waiting for transplant. Funny thing, all of these clones were taken from 1 branch taken from the bottom of the main stem, then I just cut each of the undergrowths every 3 nodes, dipped in clonex and stuck in the verm. But I would leave a node or two of each undergrowth, so I could then cut the branch basically the same way. I wanted to see if the tiny ones would root well since they dont do that well in the Rock Wool for me. They may need an extra week to catch up in size to the bigger cuttings I took, but what a way to maximize on cuttings for clones. I can see a need for this at times

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

justanotherbozo

Veteran
:canabis:First off, let me start by saying Thank You for continuing this thread! So many times I get to the end of a 14 Page thread to find it closed or ended.

I started with a DIY Bubble Cloner out of the 6 Qt Plastic Shoebox, and it worked great, but I kept getting White Powdery Mildew or PM, therefor not always acheiving 100%. So I went back to basics and just dipped my cuttings in Clonex, and inserting into RockWool, Rapid Rooters, and/or Sure To Grow Cubes. Stuck them in the Humidity Dome with Heating Pad, and roots were popping out at about 6 days. And I was Fine with that! Until....... I Read This Thread! Checking the Cubes everynight to make sure they are not too dry, and making sure you dont over water them.....etc. So I did try this system with 1 small modification. Instead of drilling holes in the caps, I cut small squares from some leftover foam board I had made 2" pucks for my cloner. It left alot of room for the water to wick, and held the verm up very well. And I used another clear plastic shoebox for a humidity dome for the 1st couple of days, but decided to take it off with no ill effects.

I have to admit, it is one of the easiest ways to clone. The only thing you should do is change the water sitting in the bottom every couple days so it stays high in o2. I only changed it once at 7 days, but today is 14 days. I havent pulled one yet tonight, but I can see most of the roots are sticking out the bottoms.

You dont have to worry about the moisture level, like in Rock Wool and Rapid Rooters. I never even misted them. I did add 1/4 strength nutes at day 9 or 10 because they were asking for them.

Below is at 7 days

IMG_5660.jpg

Below is at 8 days, with the verm rinsed off

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Below is another at 12 days, I love that the roots have nowhere to go but down. I transplanted this into and 16 Oz Hempy Cup (hole on side about 1" from bottom, filled with 100% perlite) So the roots started out allready in the res, which jump starts veg growth!

IMG_5722.jpg

I just took these tonight at 14 days, you can see the veg growth is not waiting for transplant. Funny thing, all of these clones were taken from 1 branch taken from the bottom of the main stem, then I just cut each of the undergrowths every 3 nodes, dipped in clonex and stuck in the verm. But I would leave a node or two of each undergrowth, so I could then cut the branch basically the same way. I wanted to see if the tiny ones would root well since they dont do that well in the Rock Wool for me. They may need an extra week to catch up in size to the bigger cuttings I took, but what a way to maximize on cuttings for clones. I can see a need for this at times

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

right on man, good to hear another success story.

Budley Doright

Veteran
dmoose.... excellent pics.... cloning done right for sure.....

You could in fact see the plants were still growing in the cloner...

Me as Ive said before begin feeding lightly after 6 days or so....

I think thats the way to play....

Ive also decided to run a few clones in promix....(peat based mix)

I used a collander to remove the big stuf.... twigs perlite etc....

I filled the cloner with fine promix and set it in the reservoir.....

That was a while ago.... I can feel the moisture at top of the cloner so...

I expect it should work....

I dont have a full load of clones but can find at least a few....

I wont be doing a side by side but I should be able to get a feel whether this peat will work.... (its been ph adjusted...not straight peat)

Palpater

Off to a poor start.

Off to a poor start.

Great info, thanks for keeping it going.

Good luck finding these at walmart or any other housewares store in NE. Had to order online, Just Froogle 'Ice Tubes Tray'. Paid just under $5 ea plus $10 shipping for 4 trays. It is nothing compared to what I have invested in my AA Clone Machine. Works OK but cost a fortune and inconsistent. Three runs back to back that took 19,10,29 days to root the same clones. What a big PIA using it.

My 1st batch, in the Ice Tubes, is about 6 days in and rooting, but my foliage has black tips forming on all the leafs that I had trimmed in half with scissors . Only very small new growth (uncut) look to be healthy. The black starts at the cut end and has consumed about 1/4 of the leaf, heading towards the stem.

The black tips started a few days after being cut. For the first 5 days a small plant rated flor was hanging 10" above. Not bright or hot at all. I have since switched to a 1 ft square Blue LED panel.

My thermometer was hard to read and at 4 days in, realized my temps were running around 85. I also didn't bother to ph the water, it normally runs around 6.9 out of the well tap

I keep reading low 80's for temps on this thread. I would assume 85 doesn't qualify but just to be clear, I'm shooting for what? 80,81,82,83?

Would this be causing the black tips?

Budley Doright

Veteran
Just a few observations...

First off I personally dont cut my leaves...I just arrange them in the cloner so the larger leaves hang out of the cloner....

In all the batches Ive run Ive never run into the issue you are having.....

I think in general most cloning processes tell you to cut large leaves in half to save transporation....Since they dont seem to wilt in the cloner I dont cut them....

That would be the simple solution.....

I notice dmoose cuts his.....

85 degrees is about where its too hot me thinks.....

The temps may also be part of your black tips issue....

You dont specify whether you have them domed up or not....

Only use a dome if you have to.....

Clones all cooped up in some dome thing have bad things happen to them....

If they are cooped up ....set them free....lol

Palpater

Thanks for the reply. Negative on the dome.

I'm thinking my temps were pushing the limit, maybe even a few degrees over 85. We are in the middle of a hot, humid stretch.

I am going to give these a few more days and then start over again. I lost a few because I didn't pack the cells good enough. It was unclear until you discussed it, just recently. When I placed them in, most sites sunk down about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Four of them just wilted right away.

This time I will keep a closer watch on the temps and try to maintain around 79-80. I will also keep using the LED panel right from the start and make sure I pack the cells well before adding water.

Keep us posted on the pro-mix. I use it as my primary ingredient for my growing mix. I'm always looking to minimize my material list.

I'm hopeful the trays work good and I can sell my clone machine to some other adventurer.

Somewhere in this thread, I thought I had seen you link to a perpetual grow. Yes? Maybe it was some other place. I just wanted to check it out. Couldn't find it again after scanning for it.

B

BigappleNugz

world class cloner at walmart..> called> peatpucks ! 7 days i got roots every time

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thanks for the reply. Negative on the dome.

I'm thinking my temps were pushing the limit, maybe even a few degrees over 85. We are in the middle of a hot, humid stretch.

I am going to give these a few more days and then start over again. I lost a few because I didn't pack the cells good enough. It was unclear until you discussed it, just recently. When I placed them in, most sites sunk down about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Four of them just wilted right away.

This time I will keep a closer watch on the temps and try to maintain around 79-80. I will also keep using the LED panel right from the start and make sure I pack the cells well before adding water.

Keep us posted on the pro-mix. I use it as my primary ingredient for my growing mix. I'm always looking to minimize my material list.

I'm hopeful the trays work good and I can sell my clone machine to some other adventurer.

Somewhere in this thread, I thought I had seen you link to a perpetual grow. Yes? Maybe it was some other place. I just wanted to check it out. Couldn't find it again after scanning for it.

i run a perpetual, check my sig.

Budley Doright

Veteran
My experiment with promix was a failure....all the plants wilted within 48 hours....so its done....

I notice BigAppleNugs not only lets us know his cloning method but gives us an idea what fertilizer he uses too...

Both peat pucks and rapid rooters have been used by others successfully....

as a matter of fact I was using rapid rooters just prior to this method....

one day about 2/3 of them dried out and died....

This method at most you might have to add water to the rez one time...

But this experiment led me thinking has anyone tried to some big ass clones???

I really havent... that would mean of course you could get less clones in....

but has anyone tried with some big honker clones???

Almost forgot.... This is the system Im moving towards....

Im looking at some seed plants now but hope to transition to this flood and drain method soon....

I looked at a few other styles and imo this style is pretty solid and cheap on the build...

I looked at coco dwc hempy buckets and this is what stands out for me...

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7876

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
i Just want to say thanx to this thread for inspiring me to modify to this method..

I use a 3/4inch black pipe....cut a slit in the side for easy removal of clone...

fill the pipe 1/4 with perlite , compress the bottom lot so the perlite dont fall out...

and proceed .....

32321rs-029.jpg

Palpater

Couple more questions, please excuse me if this has been discussed in depth already.

One might take for granted that little step that could make a world of difference and omit it, while passing on instruction.

1. Do you make a hole? With what and how deep?
2. how well should I pack around the clone, should I add more to top it off if it compresses?
3. whats the most water i would put in? Half-way?
4. when nutes are added, just add to the res at low dosage or foliar? both?
5. Any clue if White Widow would normally be a challenge to clone? It's all I've ever worked with. They always survived in the clone machine, I just couldn't count one when they would finish.

Budley Doright

Veteran
1. I use a little sword for olives in a drink but a toothpick..nail all would do.... The stem about an inch deep....

2. YOu should in fact press the soil around the stem for good contact....
when filling and compressing yes...add more until its well compressed and full to the rim....
You might want to compress even after you test the cloner for wicking in the res... give one last compress and top again.....

3. I would say yes about half is about the max....
4. Ive used both in the res and foliar.... I think feeding is a good thing.....
5. I personally have found only one plant that wasnt good a cloning.....
I find this cloner very consistant....most are rooted in 10-11 days....

they begin about day 5......

Jedi.... just before finding this thing at walmart I was doing exactly as you show in your pics....

That how when I saw it at walmart I knew what the ice cube thingy really was......

The only flaw in the walmart cloner is that they dont come out without some work.....

A penney and a pencil work perfectly for removing the clones....

Perfectly good method you show..... thanks for the pics,....

By the way a bit of plastic wrap and a rubber band also work for the bottom...dont forget the holes...

Jedi also has some pretty big clones....

anyone have even bigger clones????

sparky421

...and so the noobs know cloning isn't magic, it's a skill, here's some
cuts i took after the cloners were full and, being the pack-rat that i am,
i stuck them in cups of water, lol. ...got over a dozen clones out of those
cups too, although i must admit, only about 40 - 50 % took.

cloning in H20? You are more than just another Bozo

I just tried cutttin/makin some clones, but they are from a plant already in 12/12 & they are the lower branches.
I think I got a few good cut & some others are barely alive as it is.
One day ...I'll get this...

justanotherbozo

Veteran
cloning in H20? You are more than just another Bozo

I just tried cutttin/makin some clones, but they are from a plant already in 12/12 & they are the lower branches.
I think I got a few good cut & some others are barely alive as it is.
One day ...I'll get this...

for real man, try the ice-tube-trays! ...if you just follow directions, i
promise you, you will succeed! ...guaranteed!

honestly, you don't need to be blessed, you just need to be persistent!

Budley Doright

Veteran
dmoose.... excellent pics.... cloning done right for sure.....

You could in fact see the plants were still growing in the cloner...

Me as Ive said before begin feeding lightly after 6 days or so....

I think thats the way to play....

Ive also decided to run a few clones in promix....(peat based mix)

I used a collander to remove the big stuf.... twigs perlite etc....

I filled the cloner with fine promix and set it in the reservoir.....

That was a while ago.... I can feel the moisture at top of the cloner so...

I expect it should work....

I dont have a full load of clones but can find at least a few....

I wont be doing a side by side but I should be able to get a feel whether this peat will work.... (its been ph adjusted...not straight peat)

Actually while a few of these didnt make it..... Many of the clones stabilized and are reasonably healthy....

However I checked for roots and nothing going on....

I think we can eliminate the use of promix in the cloner..... at least I can.....

They still look generally crappy....

I hope someone tries coco..... preferably like cannas.....

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I'm with it. I'm trying out the bubble cloner technique right now, but if I'm not happy with the success, I think I'll give this a try. Vermiculite, eh? I'll use that, a heat mat, and a humi dome, and see how it works.

Thx

Bulldog11

Veteran
I kind of agree with bldgry, however this thread would be great for a newbies. Strait to the point, available in most of the world, and proven success. Great thread.

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
took 54 clones and 15 of them kinda fell over right off the bat so 39 still going strong. had a total now of 9 out of 40 in aero. if these 39 make it that will be way better percent. anyone else just have a few clones sort of flop over? dont know why

just wanted to let you know how it went. like it says in my diy aero i went 9 for 40 successful at a 22.5% success rate. in the world class wall mart cloner i was 28 of 54 at a 51.8% success rate. i really think this way is much easier and cheaper. the diy aero is very cool and i am very proud of it. i do need to get a thermometer for both applications and maybe just a heatmat will do the trick. for now i will clone again with the wc^2 (World Class Wallmart Cloner). first time i used clonex as well with this so that might have helped. damn chemdawgs wont clone for me. any tips? peace and smoke.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
I'm using the World Class Wallmart Cloner now for my first time cloning.
i hope it works well it seems easy enough.
:joint: After one day my first cutting is still alive

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
I've kept the cuttings in the cloner for almost two weeks and no roots yet... it looks swollen like a root may be starting. The cuttings are still green so i guess ill leave them in there till they die or root.

Do you think warmer water will help? i think its about 74f right now maybe a little cooler.

How long can it take to root?

Latest posts

Latest posts