What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

i bet you are ready to come out of hibernation now and looking forward to spring
enjoy the snowboarding when you can get out again
you can play disk golf in the snow? i guess as long as its not piled higher than the basket then you are good to go! and i wonder if you could do some sweet bounce/ skim shots off the snow?
/or does snow eat up the momentum like grass would
happy mardi gras and i hope you enjoy your red beans and rice! goes great with some nice sausages and king cake
im glad she had a great birthday
yeah man, the fish isnt that hard to make on the grill if you do some prep
so how did you end up making it?
got any plans for the week? hope you have a great day too brother and keep bringing the heat!

Good afternoon pop_rocks.
I shouldn't complain about the weather but this has been a rough stretch. Last year we had a nice mild winter and we were having the same until February got here. We had so many days right around d 30 degrees and it was great weather for any outdoor winter activity. It looks like the mild winter weather is on its way back and I'm really looking forward to coming out of hibernation, which is a great description of what its like when the super cold hits.
Disc golf is great in the snow as long as the snow doesn't get too deep and the temps are warm enough to be out without gloves on. If its icy the disc can take a great skip but if its too deep and fluffy the disc can become buried and it can be easy to loose discs. Someone seems to come out after each snow and shovels the concrete pads we tee off from and the other players beat a path through the snow so as long as you stay on the line your pretty safe. If you shoot a wild shot way off course you are going to have to stomp your own path which would get pretty taxing in snow as deep as we habe on the ground right now.
The red beans and rice turned out really hood and I'm having a helping of them for lunch today. I wish I could find a king cake here but I haven't seen any. Hardly anyone up here knows anything about the tradition of Mardi Gras or the food they have down there.
The fish was really easy to cook. I just gave it a coating of olive oil and then seasoned it up on the skin free side. I put it on the cool side of my Webber grill for about 5 min skin side up to get some nice marks on it. Then I flipped it and finished it skin side down.
I don't have much going on this week except to get a little fat Tuesday celebration in after work tonight and then get back to some low carb eating and plenty of exercise starting Wednesday morning. If it warms up for the weekend ill be looking to get some disc golf and maybe some snowboarding.
How about you, any exciting plans for the week or next weekend?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
dude, i looked at the tv news today and saw what you are talking about with this cold weather! its a huge gouge of freezing air that goes through the midwest all the way to louisiana/ texas!
/it said it was 22* in lousiana
thats crazy cold and im sure its worse up north; here its cold at night but nice in the day 40/60*
me and mrsChicky are on a mission this weekend and looking forward to the ride
that sounds like a great fish my man! good idea starting it off on the cooler side first
/i usually just go hot with fish on the grill
maybe you can make your own king cake one of these days? just get one of those yoda star wars figures in the cake and there you go

hope you are enjoying your day brother

Fiddynut

dude, i looked at the tv news today and saw what you are talking about with this cold weather! its a huge gouge of freezing air that goes through the midwest all the way to louisiana/ texas!
/it said it was 22* in lousiana
thats crazy cold and im sure its worse up north; here its cold at night but nice in the day 40/60*
me and mrsChicky are on a mission this weekend and looking forward to the ride
that sounds like a great fish my man! good idea starting it off on the cooler side first
/i usually just go hot with fish on the grill
maybe you can make your own king cake one of these days? just get one of those yoda star wars figures in the cake and there you go

hope you are enjoying your day brother
This cold air mass is incredible. Ive felt colder temperatures but never for this long. My wife's sister said it was way below freezing all the way down on the golf coast of Alabama. There are ton of people in Texas without power due to the storms and thier grid going down. I think this happens when the jet stream goes up into Canada and then plunges straight south bringing the arctic air with it. Whatever it is I hope it'd over soon. Actually its been a lot warmer the last couple of days, it might not even get below zero tonight.
It sounds like you are looking forward to something g fun this weekend. I hope you guys have a great time and can't wait to hear about it.
I think my wife's sister sent us a king cake mix last year and we made it, with the baby and all. I also think k she sent us a couple of recipes so we can make one any time. To be honest the celebration kind of snuck up on us this year or else we would have made one over the weekend. Fat Tuesday was early this year and took many of us by surprise. Its pretty amazing that it can be anywhere from the first week in February to the first week in March.
I hope.your having a great day as well brother!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i hope you guys are thawing out and spring is just around the corner
/when do we change our clocks?
that would suck to be without power and hopefully people who live in places where the power can go out have some kind of back up plan
thats cool your w.sister sent you a recipe for a king cake!
what is it? cna i ask
this year is sort of like last year and things are just kind of moving along, but just not like it used to be
lets hope this spring brings new growth
all i need is a wink and ill let the cat out of the bag

Fiddynut

i hope you guys are thawing out and spring is just around the corner
/when do we change our clocks?
that would suck to be without power and hopefully people who live in places where the power can go out have some kind of back up plan
thats cool your w.sister sent you a recipe for a king cake!
what is it? cna i ask
this year is sort of like last year and things are just kind of moving along, but just not like it used to be
lets hope this spring brings new growth
all i need is a wink and ill let the cat out of the bag

Its about 20 degrees and the sun is out today. After the last couple plus weeks it feels like a heat wave. You can really feel that the sun has some strength to it and even though its still a good ways below freezing the sun is starting to warm the streets and parking lots and melt some of the ice that has built up. Plus the sun is good for the mental health as well and longer days are welcome. We have about two more hours of light than we had in the dead of winter.
It looks like daylight savings goes into effect on march 14 this year. I wish they would leave it in effect all year and we wouldn't have to mess with the clocks. I'd rather have more light in the evening but thats just me.
I feel bad for all those people in Texas. No power, heat or water during snowstorms that they don't see often and aren't prepared to deal with must be a huge bummer. Just think if somehow a freak snowstorm and cold snap hit Southern California. The houses aren't designed to hold heat and if the power grid was down the heat wouldn't work anyway. It would be a bad deal for sure.
Ill have to check the Ming cake recipe and get back to you on that. I know it gets plenty of green, gold and purple sprinkles on top.
Im with you on hoping for spring to bring some good things. I need to see some live music or I'm going to snap soon. I've been having my cosmic voyages on mushrooms listening to a lot of live music on YouTube but nothing compares to being with other like minded people seeing it go down live.
I hope you guys have a great time this weekend and can't wait to hear about what your up to. I hope you get that wink brother!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im looking forward to the weekend and the adventure that awaits
me and the mrs are hoping to taking a trip and there might just be other goodies im super excited about as well
we are having a santa ana today and i hear the week is supposed to finish off nice
im not a prepper but i have a pretty good back up if shtf
i like to camp so i have a decent supply of fuel and things like that, plus i have a few things stored at home
/rice and other canned foods to last several weeks
but you can never be too prepared
let me know if oyu ever find the secret to a good king cake and i hope you get baby with every bite!

Fiddynut

im looking forward to the weekend and the adventure that awaits
me and the mrs are hoping to taking a trip and there might just be other goodies im super excited about as well
we are having a santa ana today and i hear the week is supposed to finish off nice
im not a prepper but i have a pretty good back up if shtf
i like to camp so i have a decent supply of fuel and things like that, plus i have a few things stored at home
/rice and other canned foods to last several weeks
but you can never be too prepared
let me know if oyu ever find the secret to a good king cake and i hope you get baby with every bite!

Happy Friday!
I can tell your excited for the weekends adventure. Have a great time and don't do anything I wouldn't do LOL.
Im quite envious of your weather, I just looked at your forecast and it looks so nice. Sunny and 70's is just about perfect.
Its a good idea to have a few weeks worth of supplies on hand. As we have seen when Covid hit the stores can get emptied in a hurry and if you don't have supplies your out of luck. There are a ton of unknown things that can happen to cut supplies short and it happens usually without warning. Good camping supplies would be just the right things to have if there was a power grid problem. Being able to cook your food and stay warm are not underrated. Your absolutely right that you can't be too prepared.
Have a great weekend brother!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hope your weekend is off to a great start f'nut! how are things outside today?
its hard to complain about the weather here in socal and ive been putting in some time in the garden to get hgns ready for the spring
no matter where you live you still need to be prepared, you never know when the power will go out or things get crazy
even in socal we have natural disasters to worry about
/mostly earth quake, fire but there could be other problems no on anticipates
i was talking to a friend last night about this very same thign and he was pitifully unprepared
he had some dry good and a few cans of things, but no water or other essentials
the funny thing was he said, well ill just stock up when the time comes...
WRONG!
/you and the other ten thousand ass holes will all be cramming the stores and anyplace else hoping to get whatever is left; being prepared isnt somethign you wait for the lastr minute to run out and do
the funny thing is one of out friend made a good case for tsunami here in so cal; something no one is anticipating
thats why they are problems, people just arent prepared to take care of themselves and then complain when the gov is overwhelmed by an emergency situation
a few simple things kept around the house can amek all the difference
this dosent even include weed and drank (for those of us who like to imbide)
/ill get off my soap box now brother, thanks for letting me vent
cant wait for our adventure and its all systems go! we are heading out later today and i am excited about the haul

Fiddynut

hope your weekend is off to a great start f'nut! how are things outside today?
its hard to complain about the weather here in socal and ive been putting in some time in the garden to get hgns ready for the spring
no matter where you live you still need to be prepared, you never know when the power will go out or things get crazy
even in socal we have natural disasters to worry about
/mostly earth quake, fire but there could be other problems no on anticipates
i was talking to a friend last night about this very same thign and he was pitifully unprepared
he had some dry good and a few cans of things, but no water or other essentials
the funny thing was he said, well ill just stock up when the time comes...
WRONG!
/you and the other ten thousand ass holes will all be cramming the stores and anyplace else hoping to get whatever is left; being prepared isnt somethign you wait for the lastr minute to run out and do
the funny thing is one of out friend made a good case for tsunami here in so cal; something no one is anticipating
thats why they are problems, people just arent prepared to take care of themselves and then complain when the gov is overwhelmed by an emergency situation
a few simple things kept around the house can amek all the difference
this dosent even include weed and drank (for those of us who like to imbide)
/ill get off my soap box now brother, thanks for letting me vent
cant wait for our adventure and its all systems go! we are heading out later today and i am excited about the haul
Happy Monday!
My weekend was nice! I found and purchased a nice used snowboard and bindings. I also got some really nice snowboard boots. They seem like they are going to be a lot more comfortable than the ones I used a few weeks ago and I'm hoping that means more riding for me. I didn't get a chance to test the equipment out yet but next weekend I will for sure!
How was your weekend?
I hope you had a great adventure! Im looking forward to hearing what you did and how it went. Your doing a great job of keeping us in suspense brother!
Your so right about it being important to be prepared. Its easy to take for granted that we have a wall mart available 24 hours a day for anything we need. As you mentioned if you wait until a disaster strikes you will be too late to get stocked up and you will suffer. We saw how quickly the toilet paper ran out last spring when this covid panic hit. I think it was Badfishy that mentioned how there is always a screen like that at stores in Florida when there is a hurricane predicted. And your so right that water should be at the top of the list. You make a great point about people being irresponsible and expecting the government to bail them out when there is trouble. As we know that's not a good plan just look at the track record.
Just as predicted the heat wave is here brother. Its in the 30's outside and feels great after the last few weeks of bitter cold. It looks like we are going to have some nice melting temps this week and not too soon. My gutters and roof have a shitload of ice and snow in them.
With the warm weather yesterday I made sure to get out for a game of disc golf. I had a great time and played better than I have thought I would have given the long layoff. The snow cover on the ground here comes all the way up to the bottom of the basket. I don't think I've seen this much snow on the ground here since I was a kid. Here's a pic of how deep it was at the course yesterday.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh wow man,how deep is that
/ that pole is what? like two or three feet high
is it hard to walk on, the tracks looked pretty packed down?
im glad to hear things are starting to warm up for you and while i dont think we are done with winter yet, it should be nice for the next few days
/take off your shirt and enjoy the nice weather
you can nver be too prepared but we should all keep a few things around the house for emergencies
a few gallons of drinking water per person is a must
some decent food is good, i have canned spam and corned beef, things like that; also have dry goods like a few bags of rice and beans
you can fit enough emergency supplies for a small family (and a dog, like your fiddy) in one of those big totes
the weekend was great and me and the mrs had such a great ride!
/my side still aches from laughing so hard
good things happen to good people

Fiddynut

oh wow man,how deep is that
/ that pole is what? like two or three feet high
is it hard to walk on, the tracks looked pretty packed down?
im glad to hear things are starting to warm up for you and while i dont think we are done with winter yet, it should be nice for the next few days
/take off your shirt and enjoy the nice weather
you can nver be too prepared but we should all keep a few things around the house for emergencies
a few gallons of drinking water per person is a must
some decent food is good, i have canned spam and corned beef, things like that; also have dry goods like a few bags of rice and beans
you can fit enough emergency supplies for a small family (and a dog, like your fiddy) in one of those big totes
the weekend was great and me and the mrs had such a great ride!
/my side still aches from laughing so hard
good things happen to good people

That basket is at least 2-1\2 feet and probably 3 feet off the ground. As you saw it was all packed down around where people were walking but right up to the bottom where no one had stepped. There was a nice packed down path between the tee and the baskets and if you stayed in the fairway it was pretty good. If you made a wild throw you had to post hole through the deep stuff and would have been wishing for snow shoes. I only went I to the deep snow a couple of times and had a bunch of birdies. I felt really good about how well I shot.
Im sure your right about winter being far from over, especially here. We get plenty of cold weather and snow in March and even April. We even ha a pretty big snowstorm in May here when I was a teenager. But I think we are getting g to the point where we are probably not looking at the bitter sub zero temps. I can deal with coll.weather and as much snow as we can get but the arctic blasts are what make me miserable.
I agree that canned and dry foods are what you want if shit were to hit the fan. In the winter those of us that live up here could probably keep fresh food cold for a while but not indefinitely. People forget that when the power goes down so does your fridge and freezer. We can also be a little more careless about keeping water up here because we have so much fresh water in all the lakes here.
Im glad you two had a great time over the weekend. I always use to get a case of the giggles when I was younger and took a voyage but these days I'm more introverted and less expressive. I get to to my music and if there is a bonfire I can stare at the flames for hours. You are certainly good people and good things are happening for you! I hope your having a great day buddy!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hey thanks brother; you are good people too plus a lot of good friends here
/f'yeah to good people!
the snow golf scene sounds fun as long as you are pretty good
/i bet you can find a lot of discs once the now melts
thats funny because i was going to ask you about if you had snow shoes to traverse the banks
even one of those packs of spam from costco and some beans in a can would be good place to start for your survival rations
you would eat the stuff in the fridge/ freezer first and with a few canned goods you would be good to go for at least a week
you are so right about how you dont have to worry about water as much
with plenty of fresh snow and stuff i bet you would have plenty of water to drink and even clean things
i know what you mean about getting introspective and just grooving
im looking forward to taking another balloon ride soon
you have a great day too buddy! the week is flying by and i cant wait for the weekend

Fiddynut

hey thanks brother; you are good people too plus a lot of good friends here
/f'yeah to good people!
the snow golf scene sounds fun as long as you are pretty good
/i bet you can find a lot of discs once the now melts
thats funny because i was going to ask you about if you had snow shoes to traverse the banks
even one of those packs of spam from costco and some beans in a can would be good place to start for your survival rations
you would eat the stuff in the fridge/ freezer first and with a few canned goods you would be good to go for at least a week
you are so right about how you dont have to worry about water as much
with plenty of fresh snow and stuff i bet you would have plenty of water to drink and even clean things
i know what you mean about getting introspective and just grooving
im looking forward to taking another balloon ride soon
you have a great day too buddy! the week is flying by and i cant wait for the weekend

Thank you for the kind words. Your right there are some great people here on icmag! Social media and internet forums often bring out the worst in people but we are here for a common goal and that seems to help eliminate a lot of the argumentative shit I see in other places on the net.
Nothing beats a game of disc on a beautiful 75 degree day but if you want to keep playing year around in a lot of places you have to play in all different conditions. I was using that pink disc on Sunday because its so easy to see it against the white snow background. I bet your right that there are quite a few discs buried under the snow and when it finally melts some people are going to have some new plastic in their bags. Fall is another great time to find discs out on the course. During summer the grass and brush are so thick that plenty of discs get lost and when that dies off in the fall you can find a bunch. I found 4 discs in one round a couple of falls ago.
I don't have snowshoes because we don't usually have enough snow on the ground to need them here. If this keeps up I might have to get a set.
Spam and beans would make a great meal during a disaster or in the aftermath of one. I use to go a a Hawaiian bar in San Francisco that had a bunch of spam based dishes on the menu.
Your right the week is flying by and I'm really looking forward to getting on the snowboard this weekend.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening brother! hope you are having a great week
it soudns like things are warming up all over and i think we are goign to get nice weather here in so cal for the rest of the week
/they were planning for a cool down but we still have the warm dry winds (it did get to 30'something last night)
thats rad that you are getting a new board this weekend and i hope you get a chance to enjoy it
are you thinking of going somplace local or maybe taking a drive to snowboard?
you cant go wrong with spam or other canned meat in a camp cooking situation
i also like corned beef hash and things like that, especially around the house where i dotn have to carry the cans
hope your week wraps up nicely and you have a great weekend ahead!

Fiddynut

happening brother! hope you are having a great week
it soudns like things are warming up all over and i think we are goign to get nice weather here in so cal for the rest of the week
/they were planning for a cool down but we still have the warm dry winds (it did get to 30'something last night)
thats rad that you are getting a new board this weekend and i hope you get a chance to enjoy it
are you thinking of going somplace local or maybe taking a drive to snowboard?
you cant go wrong with spam or other canned meat in a camp cooking situation
i also like corned beef hash and things like that, especially around the house where i dotn have to carry the cans
hope your week wraps up nicely and you have a great weekend ahead!

I'm having a great week so far and I hope you are as well!
Its been in the mid 30's to about 40 here all week and we've been getting some sun too. We are starting to get some nice melting but temps get back below freezing during the night and things get icy until it warms up again the next day. I would bet that thirty something last night felt pretty chilly to y'all but a little crisp air once in a while must also be a nice change.
I got the board and boots now I just need to test them out. Im going to stay local for this next ride, either Saturday or Sunday to make sure all my equipment is working well. If all goes well this weekend I'm looking at a trip up north or to the upper Peninsula of Michigan in a couple of weeks. The hills are bigger up there and the lake effect snow off of lake superior is going to be deeper than around here. We are starting to get a bit late in the season so I doubt ill be taking a trip out west to ride this year.
I also want to get back on the disc golf course this weekend too!
My bro was up in the UP of Michigan snowmobiling and is bringing back some treats from the dispensary. Michigan seems to have a good recreation law and some really good product in the dispensaries. I love my buds but some variety is always a good thing.
I hope your week finishes off strong and you have a great weekend on tap!

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm having a great week so far and I hope you are as well!
Its been in the mid 30's to about 40 here all week and we've been getting some sun too. We are starting to get some nice melting but temps get back below freezing during the night and things get icy until it warms up again the next day. I would bet that thirty something last night felt pretty chilly to y'all but a little crisp air once in a while must also be a nice change.
I got the board and boots now I just need to test them out. Im going to stay local for this next ride, either Saturday or Sunday to make sure all my equipment is working well. If all goes well this weekend I'm looking at a trip up north or to the upper Peninsula of Michigan in a couple of weeks. The hills are bigger up there and the lake effect snow off of lake superior is going to be deeper than around here. We are starting to get a bit late in the season so I doubt ill be taking a trip out west to ride this year.
I also want to get back on the disc golf course this weekend too!
My bro was up in the UP of Michigan snowmobiling and is bringing back some treats from the dispensary. Michigan seems to have a good recreation law and some really good product in the dispensaries. I love my buds but some variety is always a good thing.
I hope your week finishes off strong and you have a great weekend on tap!

picture.php

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i dont mind the cold mornings and they are kind of nice like you said
cold crisp air while i go outside and take in the morning, plus im still all warmed up from my shower and wearing warm clothes
its been gettign nice in the afternoons with off shore winds and temps in the 70's
me and the ex-mrs are talking about camping and i am down to go whereever
i love the desert and this is the season, but i wouldent mind cold camping again in the mountains
she is taking a friday off soon so we are going to make a long weekend of it
thats great that you got your new gear
have you put the boots on and clipped in? how about taking a little slide outside just to see how the new board feels?
i hope you like your new set up and get in a great session
what did your brother bring back? its always fun to try new smoke
you have a great weekend too brother!

look at the guy crash! looks like he was sleeping just fine under all that snow
/you can tell by how its all caked and cracked
thats a beautiful dog, whats its name?

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.
Happy Friday! I hope y'all had a great week.
For me the week has gone really well and flown by. We are starting to get busy at work and spring is in the air. Its amazing how much better peoples moods are this week here with some sunshine and warmer temperatures. With the days getting longer it gives some hope that summer will find its way back around and warm days are on the way!

@pop_rocks. There is something really comforting about putting on a nice hoodie and getting out in the crisp air. Towards the end of summer here we always get that first cool day and it feels great. The summer heat gets stagnant and the cool temps give us a taste of fall. I love living in a place with 4 distinct seasons because too much of the same weather can get boring. I just wish sometimes winter was a little shorter. I wouldn't mind a few days in the 70's like you are having. We can get some nice days here in March so maybe I'm not far off from that.
A camping trip sounds like a great time. I know you guys had lots of fun last time you went to the mountains. I suppose the Observatory is still closed. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll make the most of it!
I strapped into the board in my living room but I have to get out on the hill and make some cuts with it before I really start adjusting the straps and finding a comfortable setting. It looks like Sunday will be the day for that.
My bro brought back a couple of different strains of flower and got me 2 carts of oil. One of the types of flower is a wedding cake cross and I forget the other. They are both tasty and potent. I prefer flower but I like the carts for keeping a low profile in a bar or somewhere its too windy to use a lighter on a bowl or anywhere else I need to be discrete.
Do you have anything exciting planned for the weekend?

@star_crash. Pop is right that's a beautiful dog. He is totally prepared for the weather and looks warm and sleepy even when crusted with snow. Its pretty amazing how an animal can have a coat that can keep them warm in such cold and also make it work during summer when its warm. It's nice to see you posting and I hope all is well with you!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening brother! hope you are getting used to the new look here
how did the new board work out for ya?
i recently was gifted soem nice cuts of wedding cake and a couple other strains and cant wait to see how they grow out
did you smoek any of the the cake your bro brought back?
what are your plans for the weekned?
i am heading out to the mountins here in a few weeks and think i might do some hiking this weekend just to get loose
plus we have some visual aids that we want to take and a nice long walk would provide the perfect stage to enjoy the show
hope you arew having a great week man