What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

yeah there is something about a good cuban sandwich
we tried making them once ourselves witha hot brick but it just wasnt the same
they have a similar sandwich here called media noche thats the same stuff but not toasted

as long as your water is airated you can root in plain water
i made my first cloner box with a fish tank pump and air stone
you can also build a mister box that actually works really well too
the misters allow more air to get to the roots with out drying out
but i like using the simple rooter cubes now that i only take a few cuts at a time
i flip the cubes over so that the wide part is at the bottom, if i dont put them into a tray

hope you have a great time at the cabin and it sounds like next week is going to be a great week for you!
two day work weeks are where its at, esp when those two days are thursday and friday
Good morning pop_rocks.

How was the sandwich? Delicious I'm sure. The cold version sounds good as well. I hope the Mrs had a great trip and her travels were smooth.

I think I've seen threads here on making clones boxes, both bubbler and mister. I've also seen threads with people using just plain cups of water without bubbles or anything. No rooting gel or anything. They claim it's the most natural method. If I remember right I think one guy claimed that the clones grow better or faster after they root when not using rooting gel, something about the hormones in the gel cause plants to grow slightly differently or something. For now I'm fine with using the plugs. They are very reliable and make it easy to get a consistent method going.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.

It's good to be back after a few days of decompression. I had a great time in the north woods this week even with some pretty unsettled weather. Can't wait to go back.
Here is a pic from the front porch of the cabin with the sun setting over the lake.

I was happy to see that my plants were fine while I was gone. I didn't worry about them while I was gone nearly as much as I thought I was going to. My wife misted the humidity dome a few times and the pots held their water just fine in my absence.

The 3 GBs that I'm going to flower this round were ready for transplant yesterday so I went ahead and got them in their new pots. The topping I did last week didn't slow them down much. They look happy and healthy. I'm going to give them a few days to get established and then flip to 12/12.

The other two GBs are happy too. Still need to sex these two and get cuts of them in a couple weeks when the other cuts are rooted and out of the box. Things are going really well this grow. The plants have been happy and healthy the whole time.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
whats happening fiddy'!
glad to see you back
that place looks amazing and i bet it was fun to get away from it all

i like the rooting cubes too
cheap, simple and easy are always good and i have had great success with them
not a fan of putting cuts into stagnant water
the roots need oxygen to grow
im sure there are some fast rooting strains that you could just place into a cup of water and they will root but i think for the most, the stem will rot and the plant dies before throwing roots
ive heard of people using more natural sources for their rooting hormones, i think willow water works well but i like the comercial gel simply because they work
/ive tried the powder and had good results too, plus it was cheaper

Fiddynut

whats happening fiddy'!
glad to see you back
that place looks amazing and i bet it was fun to get away from it all

i like the rooting cubes too
cheap, simple and easy are always good and i have had great success with them
not a fan of putting cuts into stagnant water
the roots need oxygen to grow
im sure there are some fast rooting strains that you could just place into a cup of water and they will root but i think for the most, the stem will rot and the plant dies before throwing roots
ive heard of people using more natural sources for their rooting hormones, i think willow water works well but i like the comercial gel simply because they work
/ive tried the powder and had good results too, plus it was cheaper
Good afternoon pop_rocks.

It's good to be back. Every time I spend a few days up north it takes me a couple days to get back in the swing of normal life. It's so chill up there and with no scheduled activities I slow way down. Back to work yesterday was a wake up and I have to get moving again.

I'm with you on the RR plugs. I just like to see how others do it and I've come across some interesting methods.
Here is one method with "hempy cups" and perlite: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=335958
Here is another with plain water: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10827&highlight=water+cloning

Just kind of cool to see what others are doing with there cuttings. I've also herd of willow water promoting roots. I think maybe sprouted alfalfa as well. And I've heard honey is also a good substitute for rooting gel as well.

Looks like summer is dodging us here again, a high of 50 today with high 30's last night. It was allmost 90 on Tuesday so we are on a roller coaster temp wise. One day I'm in shorts and sandals next day it's back to jackets and gloves for the morning dog walks.

I still have to get to the grow shop and get a new HPS bulb for the next flower cycle which should be starting next week. Going to take it easy other than a little shopping at the grow store. Looks like I have to take a break after the GBs flower out. My wife is convinced that our well is going to get contaminated if we don't fix it soon. She has a coworker that had similar symptoms and the crossover pipe from her well had cracked allowing groundwater into her well and somehow for salmonella from it. So I have to get as much as possible out of the GBs and make it last until I can get set up again and run another cycle. I'll keep moms and clones in my closet upstairs when the work is being done so that I'm ready to go as soon as possible. Gives me a couple months to figure out how to pay for the repairs too.

You have anything exciting planned for the weekend? Are you doing any harvesting yet? Any samples of the dog treats? The LW's are getting really nice with a couple weeks cure on them. I'm holding off on a smoke report because they are developing and the flavors are changing. I took only LW's up with me last weekend and after smoking more of it I can say it's damn potent. I was getting so stoned it was hard to finish bowls of it. The #1&3 are some of the most potent I've ever smoked. Can't wait to see the hash that comes from the trim and larf.

I hope your week went well and your weekend is off to a good start...Fiddy.

Floridian

Veteran
Fiddy don't spend all that money at the shop bro try 1000 bulbs.com.I have used them more than a dozen times never a single problem and so much less in cost

Fiddynut

Fiddy don't spend all that money at the shop bro try 1000 bulbs.com.I have used them more than a dozen times never a single problem and so much less in cost
Good evening Floridian.

I did a search on 1000bulbs and looks like for 600w they only carry something called digilux. Can't find any other 600w on their sight. I did find hortilux on Amazon but shipping cost would eat up most of the savings over the grow shop. Since I'm short on time this run I think I'll just go to the shop and pay for the brand I know is great. Since I now know I'll be buying a couple bulbs a year I will find the best on line deal for my next bulb purchase. It looks like if I buy a few at a time there is good discounts to be had.

I just went back to 1000bulbs to check and they do have a good selection of 1k HPS bulbs, including hortilux. I guess they are more popular than the 600's these days.

Thanks for the info and trying to save me some cash. I'll find a good source for 600's online and report back with my findings. Thanks...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
honey, huh?!?
i might have to give that one a shot
honey is filled with sugars and anti bacterial agents, i would not be surprised if it could help with rooting
i may even try honey instead of molasis on day as a sweetener now that i am thinking about it

i can imagine how different it must be up there in the north woods
that looks like an amazing place
how big is that lake?
it looks like it goes on forever and i bet there are a lot of cool places to explore
are there a lot of other cabins up there?

i was planning on taking down a couple plants tonight but that might have to be put on the back burner
mrsChicky is going to a gymnastics dinner and wont be home till late
she prob wont feel like trimming when she gets back
i will prob let the treats' go another week or so before pulling them
but i ahve an eye on a couple sample nugs
ill post a pic of them when i clip the plant

Fiddynut

Fiddynut, that photo from the front porch of the cabin is really really nice..
Good morning Agronom.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm very spoiled I've been going to that spot for my whole lifetime. I love getting out of the city and slowing the pace down.
You have some nice pics of a beautiful lake as well. I like the sunset also. Without getting too spicific what aria of the world is that? I checked out your albums and you grow nice plants and have much love for them. I've come across a few threads on cob curing and I'm interested in trying it sometime. Looks like you are giving it a go. How did the cure affect the flavor and buzz? Was it tough to get the moisture right? One of the things I remember in the threads I was reading was that you had to be very carful about the moisture so you don't get mold. Thanks for stopping by and welcome to my little jungle...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

honey, huh?!?
i might have to give that one a shot
honey is filled with sugars and anti bacterial agents, i would not be surprised if it could help with rooting
i may even try honey instead of molasis on day as a sweetener now that i am thinking about it

i can imagine how different it must be up there in the north woods
that looks like an amazing place
how big is that lake?
it looks like it goes on forever and i bet there are a lot of cool places to explore
are there a lot of other cabins up there?

i was planning on taking down a couple plants tonight but that might have to be put on the back burner
mrsChicky is going to a gymnastics dinner and wont be home till late
she prob wont feel like trimming when she gets back
i will prob let the treats' go another week or so before pulling them
but i ahve an eye on a couple sample nugs
ill post a pic of them when i clip the plant
Good morning pop_rocks.

Yes several times honey has been mentioned as a natural rooting agent in threads I've stumbled across. Like you said it's got great antibacterial properties as well and can be good in a pinch for dressing a wound with. Honey as a soil sweetener is not something I've heard of but you may be on to something new there. I've read that plants can only absorb the very simplest of carbohydrates and not sure whare honey is on the scale of carbs. If you soil has life the microbes will brake down more complex carbs into something your plants can use I believe. You may be on to something good here.

Yes life in the north woods is very different. Much slower pace to everything. Less stress and more fresh air. I'd love to live up there someday. Not many jobs and hard to make a living though. Land and houses are cheap, as are taxes. Long winters are tough as well.

The lake is about 400 acres. I'd call it a small to medium size lake for the aria. It's devided into two sides with a channel in the middle connecting them. There are a lot of coves and bays to duck into and check out. There are a few islands to explor as well. Two of the islands are private and have cabins on them but the others are public and you can hang out and even camp on them. One has a nice fire pit and rope swing that is a lot of fun. I've climed that tree a few times to put a new rope up.

There are cabins on about half of the lake. It's not overcrowded but getting a lot more populated than it was back when I was a kid. A lot of the smaller older cabins are getting replaced by newer bigger homes on the lake. Like everything the people with more money are kind of taking over and buying up the more humble places that were more affordable. It gets a little busy on big Holliday weekends when everyone is up with friends and family but during the week it's pretty quiet.

I didn't see any signs of the breeding pair of eagles that have called the lake home. It seems like it's a two year cycle for them. They have chicks (?) every two years because it takes two seasons for the young to get big and learn enough to survive on their own.

That's great the Mrs is there to help with the harvests. My bro helps me when he can but I end up doing most of it myself. I'm sure a few extra days wont hurt them. Sounds like you aren't in a hurry to chop them. Can't wait to hear a report on the treats and the others.

I hope your weekend is off to a good start...Fiddy.

Floridian

Veteran
Hey Fiddy you're doing the right thing I believe,you won't go wrong with horties.Never had a 600 before too bad 1000 bulbs isn't stocking 600 horties.To tell you the truth,I don't know if they even make 600 horties.I remember when 600's first came out,talk about heated arguments pitting 600's against 1K's!Again I guess it all has to do with grow style especially the size of plants.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
evening fiddy'

i ahve to admit that i have no idea how big somethign is when expressed in acres so i googled a couple of the local lakes to get an idea of their size in relation to your shangrila
/thats a respectable lake as far as local standards go and prob has many miles of shoreline
it sounds rad with its islands and i bet there are some deep parts there too
do you catch large fish in the lake?
my friend loves to fish and caught a 12lb bass once at one of the local lake,which is about a third the size of that one
it was a freakin monster and the largest fresh water bass i have ever seen
i hear you when you say that a lot of larger homes are sprouting up in the area
its the same thing here,where the land that the older houses are built on is worth more than the house itself
so people come in and buy up the property,then build their dream home
at first the house sticks out like a sore thumb
but eventually whole neighborhoods (then comunities) change over time

so no plants were taken down this weekend
i honestly dont know where the time went but i know its monday, and the plants i wanted to harvest are still standing
i did grab a couple smaller buds off one of the dog treats

picture.php

View image in gallery

this one is a still a couple weeks out but putting out soem nice smell (the pic is of the lowest branch kept around jsut for sampling)
the img quality is poor but it gives you and idea of what one of the plants looks like
i will actually take a puff right now and tell you what i think...
still really green but i like the taste
hard to describe because of the chlorophyll but it has a little funk
smells really skunky with a faint undertone of fuel
even tho its really green i think im going to take another hit
/i love the taste of super fresh weed!!

so i went and took a pic of the other treat
i might take this one down sometime in the next week but we will see
/lots going on with the holiday coming up
but this is the other girl

another soggy bottom bud
/again the lowest branch on the plant kept for just this reason
still too wet to really get an idea of what she will smoke like but i like the first impressions
this one is very greasy to the touch and has a heavier smell to her than the other plant
cant really describe the taste at this point but this one sure is gummy

Last edited:

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy you're doing the right thing I believe,you won't go wrong with horties.Never had a 600 before too bad 1000 bulbs isn't stocking 600 horties.To tell you the truth,I don't know if they even make 600 horties.I remember when 600's first came out,talk about heated arguments pitting 600's against 1K's!Again I guess it all has to do with grow style especially the size of plants.
Good morning Floridian.

Loking forward to seeing how this new bulb does this round. Yep they make them and the grow shop had them on sale for $99. Better than the 130 they usually get for them. I'm going to find the best deals on multi packs of them online but I've got som time to find a good deal now. Looks like the hortilux has a better spectrum and a bit more light than my cheap bulb that came with the hood and ballast I got.

Fiddynut

evening fiddy'

i ahve to admit that i have no idea how big somethign is when expressed in acres so i googled a couple of the local lakes to get an idea of their size in relation to your shangrila
/thats a respectable lake as far as local standards go and prob has many miles of shoreline
it sounds rad with its islands and i bet there are some deep parts there too
do you catch large fish in the lake?
my friend loves to fish and caught a 12lb bass once at one of the local lake,which is about a third the size of that one
it was a freakin monster and the largest fresh water bass i have ever seen
i hear you when you say that a lot of larger homes are sprouting up in the area
its the same thing here,where the land that the older houses are built on is worth more than the house itself
so people come in and buy up the property,then build their dream home
at first the house sticks out like a sore thumb
but eventually whole neighborhoods (then comunities) change over time

so no plants were taken down this weekend
i honestly dont know where the time went but i know its monday, and the plants i wanted to harvest are still standing
i did grab a couple smaller buds off one of the dog treats

this one is a still a couple weeks out but putting out soem nice smell (the pic is of the lowest branch kept around jsut for sampling)
the img quality is poor but it gives you and idea of what one of the plants looks like
i will actually take a puff right now and tell you what i think...
still really green but i like the taste
hard to describe because of the chlorophyll but it has a little funk
smells really skunky with a faint undertone of fuel
even tho its really green i think im going to take another hit
/i love the taste of super fresh weed!!

so i went and took a pic of the other treat
i might take this one down sometime in the next week but we will see
/lots going on with the holiday coming up
but this is the other girl

another soggy bottom bud
/again the lowest branch on the plant kept for just this reason
still too wet to really get an idea of what she will smoke like but i like the first impressions
this one is very greasy to the touch and has a heavier smell to her than the other plant
cant really describe the taste at this point but this one sure is gummy
Good morning pop_rocks.
Yes I'd be hard pressed to explain how big an acre is as well but it's the most common way to measure the size of a lake. It's plenty big enough to jet ski and water ski and stuff but not a big lake by any means. Max depth is 50' but that is just one deep spot most is like 30' with plenty of shallower sections. I love going out on the islands and making a fire and having some cold beers.

Biggest fish I've caught on the lake was a small northern pike about 10 pounds. I've caught tons of panfish and perch. There are bass too. The biggest fish I've seen come out of the lake was a huge 30+ pound Muskie. I was at the boat launch when the guy came in with it. That thing was huge and had some serious teeth.

I know that people coming in and building big houses is the way things are going. Its beautiful and I can't really blame them for wanting to put their dream home there. I just hope some of the older places with character stick around for a while. Like my moms place is a old fashioned log cabin and it just seems more natural in the woods than a modern place that looks like it should be in a suburban neighborhood.

I hear you this weekend went by in the blink of an eye for me too. I was busy all day on Sunday and before I knew it it was Monday morning and I was headed to work. Good thing the harvest window is is open for you. Maybe you have some extra time with the holiday weekend coming up. I can't wait tell the day comes that I'm not in a hurry to harvest my plants.

The dog treats and the other (mr Gibbs?) is looking nice and frosty. Leaves look happy and healthy. Sounds like good flavors so far. It's crazy how much flavor can change over thtime course of just a few weeks. I'm still holding off on a smoke report on the LW's because things are still changing. All 4 of the LW's now taste very different than each other. I know what you mean about the satisfying first taste of fresh bud. It tastes more like the live plant that was growing than what it usually turns into after the cure.

You can't go wrong with skunky and fuel taste in weed in my opinion. I love the sours and diesel taste and it always seems to be potent stuff when it tastes like that. Sounds like you have a winner. Did you keep cuts of her?

I hope your week is off to a great start. I'm looking forward to a long weekend already. I have an update to do today as well as the GBs went into the flower tent last night...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.

It's time for another update today. Last night the GBs 1,2&3 went into the flower tent. I have a new hortilux bulb installed and cleaned the hood and glass. I wanted to wait a few extra days to let the roots fill out the pots but they were getting tall (the #1 in particular) so best to flip them and get the stretch started. They were topped about 10 days ago but it didn't slow them down much. I will be topping the #1 once more soon because it's vary aggressive and will get too tall for sure if I don't. I wanted to change their light schedule and let them get over the stress of that before topping a second time. The others may or may not get topped depending on how they seem to be stretching.

The cuttings I took from GBs 1-3 are looking good and I don't think I'm going to need to take back ups of them. I'll start opening the dome in a few days and get them acclimated to the environment.

The remaining GBs are still not sexed and I have a few options with them. If lady's I'll get cuts and flower them out in the next run. In the mean time a close friend is wondering about growing some outdoor at her house this summer and I may donate the GBs to her after I get cuts. She wants me to help with the grow so I have some things to learn about outdoor. If we put them outside they are going to be huge by the time fall comes around. I really don't have a lot of time to learn and do an outside grow in addition to my indoor and work and life but what the hell. Might as well go for it. My other thought with her grow was to start some auto flower seeds for her. The AF's would be a lot less work and a lot more predictable. We will see how this works out.

Here is a last shot of them together in the veg tent.

Now a couple of them in the flower tent. Note the #1 in front outgrowing the other two by a lot.

Floridian

Veteran
Wow Fiddy those are tightly vegging girls and they are going to love the par watts from a brand new hortilux!I'm sure you're going to notice faster development than you were using the old lamps.I've had a few experiences growing outside here in Fla and man can you really do great if everything goes right.Remember how I said when you are about to chop your indoor plants set the cutters down and com back in a few days?It's good advice really as I learned after harvesting but leaving a plant or two for another round,I always wished I would have let them all go a little longer.The opposite is true with outdoor plants I learned,harvest them at the first sign of maturity and you know they will be OK.Of all the pests down here,all the insects and animals only man will take your whole gig away.After the second outdoor grow in a place I knew nobody would find them,somebody found them.A lot of work for a lot of heartache,maybe it's different in the great white north but down here I have given up on outdoor.Watch that new hortie perform magic!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
yeah i have cuts of all three varieties, but this is prob the last cycle for the mrGibbs
i may not even run her again because i have some new gear i want to sprout but the clone is about 12" tall with multiple heads so it should be good to go

im sorry if i was unclear but i actually ran three varieties this round
two went under the generic label of "dog treats" and then there was the mrGibbs cuts i had kept around (not pictured)
i ahev the package the guy who gave them to me sent and he wrote down the lineage on it
one of them was a g-13 x (tres dog x something) cross if i remember right

pike and muskie are bad ass looking fish!
i dont think we have them here in ca but ive seen pictures
do they have gar up there too?
that is rad that you are able to just build a fire on the islands and enjoy yourself in nature

its funny how some people want to enjoy the outdoors but arent willing to leave the easy living behind
im not trying to hate but isnt that part of why you go to places like that?
so you can unplug and enjoy life at a simple pace

Fiddynut

Wow Fiddy those are tightly vegging girls and they are going to love the par watts from a brand new hortilux!I'm sure you're going to notice faster development than you were using the old lamps.I've had a few experiences growing outside here in Fla and man can you really do great if everything goes right.Remember how I said when you are about to chop your indoor plants set the cutters down and com back in a few days?It's good advice really as I learned after harvesting but leaving a plant or two for another round,I always wished I would have let them all go a little longer.The opposite is true with outdoor plants I learned,harvest them at the first sign of maturity and you know they will be OK.Of all the pests down here,all the insects and animals only man will take your whole gig away.After the second outdoor grow in a place I knew nobody would find them,somebody found them.A lot of work for a lot of heartache,maybe it's different in the great white north but down here I have given up on outdoor.Watch that new hortie perform magic!
Good morning Floridian.

Your right these girls are growing so fast the last week or so they are out of control. The first couple nights under the HPS has been great for them. I got a few light bleaching spots on some fans and my light is pretty high off the leaves compared to whare I was running it last run/bulb. That alone tells me it's kicking out some serious light.

This outdoor project will have me learning a lot more about these plants. I wish I had more time to research but I think I just have to get my hands dirty and learn as I go. Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I'm guessing it will be pretty cold here by the time they finish so harvesting as soon as the window opens makes sense to me.

That sucks that your plants got ripped. I'm guessing that that's a possibility anywhere in the world people grow. Were they on public property? I was going to do a gorilla grow this summer but haven't had the energy and it's been way too wet here. I would be growing these on private property and it's a good size piece of land way out in the country whare there aren't likely to be trespassers.

Defenatly looking forward to seeing how the bud development is with this new bulb. If I'm lucky I'll get a similar yield to my first grow which was just over 10 ounces.

Fiddynut

yeah i have cuts of all three varieties, but this is prob the last cycle for the mrGibbs
i may not even run her again because i have some new gear i want to sprout but the clone is about 12" tall with multiple heads so it should be good to go

im sorry if i was unclear but i actually ran three varieties this round
two went under the generic label of "dog treats" and then there was the mrGibbs cuts i had kept around (not pictured)
i ahev the package the guy who gave them to me sent and he wrote down the lineage on it
one of them was a g-13 x (tres dog x something) cross if i remember right

pike and muskie are bad ass looking fish!
i dont think we have them here in ca but ive seen pictures
do they have gar up there too?
that is rad that you are able to just build a fire on the islands and enjoy yourself in nature

its funny how some people want to enjoy the outdoors but arent willing to leave the easy living behind
im not trying to hate but isnt that part of why you go to places like that?
so you can unplug and enjoy life at a simple pace
Good morning pop_rocks.

I bet it's tough to say goodbye to a strain like mr Gibbs that you've been growing for a while. But since variety is the spice of life it must be done to find new treats. Grow her out once more for old times sake and say goodbye.

I now remember you saying that you had 2 flavors of dog treats. One more skunky and potent and the other sweeter more exotic flavor for the Mrs. I hope they exceed your expectations. Can't wait to here a final smoke report.

You are right the northern and Muskie and the pike X Muskie hybread are kind of wicked looking. They have a mouth full of big sharp teeth. Ive seen gar here but never caught one. We also have sturgeon in some of the bigger lakes and rivers and they can be as big as 250 pounds.

You would think that people who want to live in th woods would be able to "rough it" a little when they are up there. But the trend is to put up a big place with all the fancy comforts of the city and show off a bit. All of the new places are more than twice the size of my house down here and they only come up and enjoy them some weekends in the summer. Jsut have to get use to it I guess. Or go further up into the wilderness and get away from it. Maybe the world is passing me by.

So the GB#1 will not slow down growing. It's growing 2" a day and they haven't even started stretching yet. This morning I took matters into my own hands and LST'd her a bit. I tied each branch of the V that was created when I topped her and typed them down. It is helping with hight and is also opening up the center to get light for new shoots to grow up into. The side branch s are now taller then the main two stalks so I might tye them down as well. I'll get a pic of what I did and post it tonight and let me know what you think. I only have about 22" of space to move my light up and I just flipped 2 days ago.

Rodehazrd

Hey guys
I've been out of internet while in the mtns
Cell never does work in the good places.
I gave out all my clones to someone who distributed them to others. Got a msg back from one indoor guy clones available anytime I want it back.
The outdoor people said they flowered already I was at 24 hrs I guess they th I ought it was fall. Should they be pulled and start over. I had one year outdoor when it rained a lot and some flowered stopped then started again lousy yield
Rodehazrd