What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Rodehazrd

Looks great there tops really reaching up like a happy baby fans flattened taking all she can.

Thanks everyone for the kind words this is my first forum also and did not expect to really make friends. I guess we all have gotten past the bull and are down to the real facts of life . I thank Fiddy for being our pack leader and being so willing to share things, real things
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

evening fiddy!

love the hash shot,man!
those look like some nice marbles
i love smoking hash and like to run all my small nugs/trim through the bags

the plants are looking great
cant wait to hear how they smoke

so how are the yellow bits doing?
sometimes i notice that new growth is a bit lighter in color but greens up as it grows
it could also be a micro nutrient deficiency
im not sure from the pic
because the rest of the plant looks great, im inclined to believe that its just a branch that is not getting much light
this is another reason i like to trim off the lower growth
they dont really add to the overall yield and can offer a starting point for disease or pests
the simple solution would be to just trim this one off along wiht any other weak growth but if you want, give them a feeding of micro nutrients and see if it greens up

so i wanted to include a pic of how hte dog treats are doing
unfortunately the white balance is way off on the pic i snapped last night
maybe i will take the plants out of the tent later but that will have to wait until the lights coem back on

the two closet to the viewer are the new dog treats, in the background you can see the mr.gibbs

hope everyone is having a great week
Good morning pop_rocks.
Yeah I'm digging the bubble hash. Now that I've run a couple times it's much easer and time well spent. I may even have to get me a hash pipe. For now I just put a pancake on top of a bowl and get really high.

LW's are looking good and this morning I noticed a lot of frost on the upper leaves, some all the way to the tips. I have a feeling these girls are going to be really frosty. That means more trim and more hash hahaha.

The yellow branch seems the same as a couple days ago. It's a little sucker and should have been trimmed off when I did the trimming a couple weeks ago. It was the one I had in mind as a early sample bud. I will be more aggressive with my lollipop next time. Might end up with a bowl from it if I'm lucky so I may just cut it off and let the plant work on the tops. The rest of the plant and her sisters look so good that I don't want to mess around with addIng extras. I'm just going to keep hitting them with plenty of PBP as long as they keep looking good. I'll add a little molasses too.The main cola buds are stacking well and I think they are going to be big. I may have to think about adding some support to them.

Your dog treats are looking really good. Mr. Gibbs too. They have really bushed out and filled in. You must have flipped them a week more or less after I flipped mine. I'm at about mid week 4. They look healthy and happy. Are you getting any idea of how they are going to smell? Are they stretchers? Looks like we will be harvesting around the same time. When you get a chance I'd love to see them under more natural lights.

Are you guys drying out out there at all? We've been having temps in the 40's and plenty of rain around here. I haven't gotten back on the mountain bike since the ride I took a couple weeks ago. I'm going to have to step it up if I want too be in trail shape this summer. You getting any riding in?

Floridian

Veteran
Nice looking girl pop rocks,man I can't describe how much I miss growing,my mom is super cool and has known about my hobby from close to the start.I'm not going to grow in here although I know she would let me,I'm just not going to do it.Fiddy to answer your question aways back,I don't flush at all I just use plain water the last two times I hydrate the plant.Might want to get a thread out there and see what other PBP users do I'd be a bit curious myself.

Fiddynut

Looks great there tops really reaching up like a happy baby fans flattened taking all she can.

Thanks everyone for the kind words this is my first forum also and did not expect to really make friends. I guess we all have gotten past the bull and are down to the real facts of life . I thank Fiddy for being our pack leader and being so willing to share things, real things
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Same here. I think most of us came here to learn about growing but found more than we thought we would. We are some of the last to grow up without cell phones and computers and video games. It's strange to bond with people online but once we open up and start sharing I just can't help it. I think it makes us stronger and companionate. It's our combined effort that makes this thread possible. Thank you all for sharing and supporting each other and keeping it real as they say.

Fiddynut

Nice looking girl pop rocks,man I can't describe how much I miss growing,my mom is super cool and has known about my hobby from close to the start.I'm not going to grow in here although I know she would let me,I'm just not going to do it.Fiddy to answer your question aways back,I don't flush at all I just use plain water the last two times I hydrate the plant.Might want to get a thread out there and see what other PBP users do I'd be a bit curious myself.
Good morning Floridian.
I can imagine you miss the growing a lot. Since I started I think I enjoy watching my plants as much as smoking them. If I had to stop I'm sure I'd be feeling the loss. You will be back at it soon enough. Maybe a break will help you get the new grower excitement back. I know a lot of people who have been growing for a long time don't always have as mich fun with it as they did at first.
I've read a bunch of posts about PBP users and most seem to flush at the end but not all. I know most organic growers don't flush and since it's mostly organic that makes sense. Some may flush because that's what they are use to doing with the other nutes they were using. Lots of people who use to use salt based nutes have switched to PBP.
This may be a good opportunity to do a little side by side and flush one or two of them and not the others and see if I can tell a difference. It would be better to do if they were all cuts from the same mom but it still may be worth while to do. I've got a few weeks to keep reading and think about it.
It's good to hear from you. Stay strong brother....Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

I still don't really understand the flush does something come out of the flowers from the washing of the roots. I've cooked some bloomers finding a limit it seemed only the leaves reacted flowers stayed fresh. It produced way less but smoke was ok. Some how the plant protected the flower at the expense of the leaves. I was using phosphene a new high P kind of char. All the leaves curled around and turned very dark the flowers not so much.
I don't want to cook one with nitrogen to see but I suspect flowers would survive a Brown plant.
Just my observation and I was smoking something.
Rodehazrd

Floridian

Veteran
I always thought flushing was most necessary in hydro and maybe with chem ferts,but not so much in good soil with good ferts,it becomes habitual and probably not a bad addiction to have lol.I have heard N is the biggest culprit pertaining to how a bud tastes and burns,don't know if its true though.If it is most flowering ferts don't have a whole lot of it so I don't really see the importance.I always use worm castings in my flower pot mix and some N fert the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12 {PBP grow},you would think there would hardly be any left to speak of come harvest time.Any PBP bloom users give their girls a good flush at the end of flowering?

Fiddynut

I still don't really understand the flush does something come out of the flowers from the washing of the roots. I've cooked some bloomers finding a limit it seemed only the leaves reacted flowers stayed fresh. It produced way less but smoke was ok. Some how the plant protected the flower at the expense of the leaves. I was using phosphene a new high P kind of char. All the leaves curled around and turned very dark the flowers not so much.
I don't want to cook one with nitrogen to see but I suspect flowers would survive a Brown plant.
Just my observation and I was smoking something.
Rodehazrd

Floridian said:
I always thought flushing was most necessary in hydro and maybe with chem ferts,but not so much in good soil with good ferts,it becomes habitual and problem not a bad addiction to have lol.I have heard N is the biggest culprit pertaining to how a bud tastes and burns,don't know if its true though.If it is most flowering ferts don't have a whole lot of it so I don't really see the importance.I always use worm castings in my flower pot mix and some N fert the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12 {PBP grow},you would think there would hardly be any left to speak of come harvest time.Any PBP bloom users give their girls a good flush at the end of flowering?

Great observations guys. To be honest I've flushed because it seems like everyone else does. All the beginner grow tutorials emphasized the importance of flushing. I've read many threads anout it and many insist it makes for cleaner smoke. Some go as far as to say that unflushed weed tastes and burns poorly. I'd bet that soil analysis might reveal that it's not so easy to get the nutes out of soil. Just my instinct but it seems logical. And getting nutes out of soil isn't the same as getting them out of the plant. Looks like I have some reading to do about this. Inquiring minds want to know.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i think the more synthetic your feeds are, the more important your final flush is
from experience what i look for is the yellowing of the plant as it grows older
i guess it means that its using up build up reserves (and loosing chlorophyll)
ive grown a lot outdoors and never flushed
but those plants were very lightly fed and i never used chemical fertilizers

personally i just cut out any feedings a few weeks before i plan of harvesting
i also stop watering a week or so before too
/but have gone longer

the only real way to test would be a blinded study where the person smoking does not know if the weed they smoked was flushed or not
i think it would also take a few rounds to eliminate simple chance
can you consistently tell me if the bowl i just packed was flushed or not?
i aehv smoked "dirty" weed that i knew was not properly flushed
one thing i noticed was the ash was very black

i have been posting online for a while now
i started out posting online on the local newspaper forums as well as photographic forums
one day i was looking up weed stuff and found IC mag
i felt like this place was the big leagues and decided to join in
im very happy i started posting here and i like our online conversations
not just about weed but life in general

@fiddy
yeah i flipped the week of the time change so they are about two-three weeks in
the mr.gibbs are also in smaller containers
they were clones i had taken but im kind of wondering if im going to continue wiht them
@floridian
yea, its prob for the best holding off on the grow show for now
no point inviting trouble into your home
for now its more important to stay safe and keep taking good care of your mom

Rodehazrd

Good morning guys
Today I feel like a kid before Christmas .
My girls I'm only using fish on are on day 69. yesterday I saw my first tan trich so tomorrow may be my day. Swerve says 56 to 63 but that must be days after they show. The leaves are purple but not much yellow yet.
@pop
You asked about the smell of those new girls I'm not very good at aromas but I smell sandalwood with Amber and some alfalfa hay .
I opened a jar of my desert diesel last night
My go-to sleep aid and In the Four weeks in the jar it has gotten a sweet floral smell. It had none at final dry. I deemed it dirt weed. Now I wish I had a clone.
I have to put off starting my Larry t h e Mrs has us camping on the beach in April so I'm not chancing it family would cover but well you know. I'm ok saying 3 quarts each on Thursday for a blooming 2 footer but not watch my little ones for me. Grown kids still kids.
Rodehazrd

Floridian

Veteran
Since everyone seems to be getting close I'd like to hear what people say about the condition of their plants the day of harvest,hydration-wise.I've always believed it to be true that the slower the bud dries and cures,the better.Thats why I like to hydrate my plants the day before I harvest them.It makes for a much slower drying period.The down side to this of course is mold.If you have conditions succeptible or a pheno succeptible to mold where you hang your plants,it could be a problem.For this reason some people like to hang their plants fairly de-hydrated,but of course your plants will dry a lot faster this way.This is what some people want but not me,I go for the longer drying period and make sure my room stays at 72-76F with 40-50% humidity.If its fairly dry outside I'll stick with 50%,rainy and wet I may go with 40%.What do you folks do?

Rodehazrd

Since everyone seems to be getting close I'd like to hear what people say about the condition of their plants the day of harvest,hydration-wise.I've always believed it to be true that the slower the bud dries and cures,the better.Thats why I like to hydrate my plants the day before I harvest them.It makes for a much slower drying period.The down side to this of course is mold.If you have conditions succeptible or a pheno succeptible to mold where you hang your plants,it could be a problem.For this reason some people like to hang their plants fairly de-hydrated,but of course your plants will dry a lot faster this way.This is what some people want but not me,I go for the longer drying period and make sure my room stays at 72-76F with 40-50% humidity.If its fairly dry outside I'll stick with 50%,rainy and wet I may go with 40%.What do you folks do?

I have read about stressing them to get more resin, but I don't get that I take off any nutes the last 4 weeks mainly because its a waste of good food. They use out of the leaves since its closer than getting it up from the root but would still need sap to do that. I cant see any changes in the last week or so but the buds are weighing down the stems more and more so something goes on inside the bud after the hairs are gone.
Here is a shot of my Magnolia cut I had for four years she is 70 days since switch fed her 4 oz per gal of fish hydro at two and four weeks and had a top dress of gypsum at the switch.
My first run with extra gypsum yields increased from 3/4 oz per to 11/2 per girl. I must add that before that I cut at 60 days switch and never had mature crop till i got a scope. Oh all the weight I left out there by early harvest (kicking own ass). so my gypsum addition coupled with proper growing doubled my take.
this girl may go two oz. thats a bangi haze hanging over the top of the last pix sorry its sideways

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2003.jpg
    IMG_2003.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Fiddynut

i think the more synthetic your feeds are, the more important your final flush is
from experience what i look for is the yellowing of the plant as it grows older
i guess it means that its using up build up reserves (and loosing chlorophyll)
ive grown a lot outdoors and never flushed
but those plants were very lightly fed and i never used chemical fertilizers

personally i just cut out any feedings a few weeks before i plan of harvesting
i also stop watering a week or so before too
/but have gone longer

the only real way to test would be a blinded study where the person smoking does not know if the weed they smoked was flushed or not
i think it would also take a few rounds to eliminate simple chance
can you consistently tell me if the bowl i just packed was flushed or not?
i aehv smoked "dirty" weed that i knew was not properly flushed
one thing i noticed was the ash was very black

i have been posting online for a while now
i started out posting online on the local newspaper forums as well as photographic forums
one day i was looking up weed stuff and found IC mag
i felt like this place was the big leagues and decided to join in
im very happy i started posting here and i like our online conversations
not just about weed but life in general

@fiddy
yeah i flipped the week of the time change so they are about two-three weeks in
the mr.gibbs are also in smaller containers
they were clones i had taken but im kind of wondering if im going to continue wiht them
@floridian
yea, its prob for the best holding off on the grow show for now
no point inviting trouble into your home
for now its more important to stay safe and keep taking good care of your mom
Good morning pop_rocks.
You are right I'd have to do blind taste test with identical clones to have validity. That sounds like too much work at this time to me. I've got plenty of testers available if need be down the road.

I've also heard that dark ash is a sign of improperly flushed buds. I wonder if drying and curing methods also contribute to dark ash. I'd think that a short dry and not much cure would lead to more chlorophyll and possibly that would have darker ash. One thing I remember reading was that you can vape barely dry and up cured buds and not taste the chlorophyll.

I didn't flush my Larry's or the GSC because I des covered the seeds and just cut them and they taste pretty nice and seem to burn clean. I usually dump the bowl before smoking the ash all the way to nothingness anyway. Th way I look at it the good stuff is vaporized out of the bowl before you smoke all the organic material anyway and the last couple hits probably aren't potent and don't taste great anyway.
You are right that icmag is the big leagues. I've heard that time and time again from many people. Looking at some of the people here they are legendary in the weed biz. Breeders and growers alike. We are lucky to have such a resource available and to be a part of it.

I too enjoy our conversations and value all of our opinions very much.

It seems like this week is flying by for me. Do you have any exciting plans for this weekend? Cooking up anything good? Anyone going to opening day on Monday? I am and I haven't been to opening day in a bunch of years. Looking forward to seeing a very young and exciting team of Brewers this year. My goal is to ride the mountain bike at least twice this weekend. The weather is suppose to clear up and warm into the 50's around here.

Fiddynut

Good morning Floridian.
I have not heard of watering right before harvest before you mentioned it. It makes sense and I've heard they slower drying does make for smoother smoke. That's very interesting.
I've read that many people, like pop_rocks, let their plants dry and even crank down the humidity in the last week or so of their grows. From what I've read it's to stress the plant and make it increase trichome production.
Around here there are big differences between summer and winter when considering harvest methods. Low humidity and fewer mold spores in the air during winter favors a longer dry time. In the summer there is just too much humidity and mold in the air to take chances. I've been hanging my plants whole to dry the last couple harvests and will for this one too but my next few I'll have to hang individual branches and do more wet trimming.

Rodehazrd

Great observations guys. To be honest I've flushed because it seems like everyone else does. All the beginner grow tutorials emphasized the importance of flushing. I've read many threads anout it and many insist it makes for cleaner smoke. Some go as far as to say that unflushed weed tastes and burns poorly. I'd bet that soil analysis might reveal that it's not so easy to get the nutes out of soil. Just my instinct but it seems logical. And getting nutes out of soil isn't the same as getting them out of the plant. Looks like I have some reading to do about this. Inquiring minds want to know.

yeah some nutes flush out and some dont leaving a strange balance to correct if you reuse the media. Ash reading to tell how well its flushed is popular. George of hi times has a speech on it. the cigar folk say ash should be darker claims underfed plants are lighter. Mine seems to get lighter with age (drying more?) I have had many stories about making better weed. My fave is running naked hippie virgins through the field to improve the buzz. Pumps up the growth hormones. Im sticking with that one
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Good morning guys
Today I feel like a kid before Christmas .
My girls I'm only using fish on are on day 69. yesterday I saw my first tan trich so tomorrow may be my day. Swerve says 56 to 63 but that must be days after they show. The leaves are purple but not much yellow yet.
@pop
You asked about the smell of those new girls I'm not very good at aromas but I smell sandalwood with Amber and some alfalfa hay .
I opened a jar of my desert diesel last night
My go-to sleep aid and In the Four weeks in the jar it has gotten a sweet floral smell. It had none at final dry. I deemed it dirt weed. Now I wish I had a clone.
I have to put off starting my Larry t h e Mrs has us camping on the beach in April so I'm not chancing it family would cover but well you know. I'm ok saying 3 quarts each on Thursday for a blooming 2 footer but not watch my little ones for me. Grown kids still kids.
Rodehazrd
Rodehazrd said:
I have read about stressing them to get more resin, but I don't get that I take off any nutes the last 4 weeks mainly because its a waste of good food. They use out of the leaves since its closer than getting it up from the root but would still need sap to do that. I cant see any changes in the last week or so but the buds are weighing down the stems more and more so something goes on inside the bud after the hairs are gone.
Here is a shot of my Magnolia cut I had for four years she is 70 days since switch fed her 4 oz per gal of fish hydro at two and four weeks and had a top dress of gypsum at the switch.
My first run with extra gypsum yields increased from 3/4 oz per to 11/2 per girl. I must add that before that I cut at 60 days switch and never had mature crop till i got a scope. Oh all the weight I left out there by early harvest (kicking own ass). so my gypsum addition coupled with proper growing doubled my take.

Rodehazrd said:
yeah some nutes flush out and some dont leaving a strange balance to correct if you reuse the media. Ash reading to tell how well its flushed is popular. George of hi times has a speech on it. the cigar folk say ash should be darker claims underfed plants are lighter. Mine seems to get lighter with age (drying more?) I have had many stories about making better weed. My fave is running naked hippie virgins through the field to improve the buzz. Pumps up the growth hormones. Im sticking with that one
Rodehazrd

Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
Glad to hear you are excited for harvest. I've read that you should add a week or two to what most breeders say for harvest time. Best to use the scope because the trichomes never lie.
Sandalwood and amber sound great. Sounds like nice earthy herb. That DD sounds nice as well. It's interesting how a few weeks of cure can have such effect on buds. Some of my fruity auto strains have been curing over a month and have started to develop some cinnamon and clove scent.
I totally understand why you are holding off on the Larry's. I want to figure a way to get away for a few days this summer but I'm very nervous about letting someone else care for my baby's. I feel like I have a hard enough time knowing when to water that trusting someone else to do it would be nerve racking. Maybe at some stages like you say but not at others. I have to figure something out eventually or I'll become an antisocial shut in.
I too have heard that stressing plants before harvest can make for more tasty and potent buds.
Sounds like the gypsum has really helped your soil. You are getting it dialed as they say.
Do you feed your plants right up to the end? I've always heard that the swell in the last couple weeks can be 1/4 or more of your weight.
That makes sense that different nutes flush more than others. I think I've read that K is the first to flush out and some people don't water to runoff so that they don't lose the K.
I haven't heard about running the naked hippies through the feels but that sounds like a great way to improve quality hahaha.
Your girls are looking great.

Fiddynut

Question.

Question.

Greetings friends.
Something Rodehazrd said in today's post about different nutes flushing out of soils differently reminded me about something I've read and want to know what you guys think. I remember reading a thread whare somebody said that K (I think) was the first to wash out when watering to runoff. They were arguing that you don't need to have any runoff and that nute company's were the ones who benefit from runoff because they get to sell you more nutes.

What do you guys think about runoff. Do you always water to runoff? How much? Do bad things happen when you don't have runoff?

Floridian

Veteran
I alwys water until runoff,nothing that has to do with ferts to me it has to do with making sure all of the medium gets good and saturated,you know no dry spots.As for stressing the plant to produce more resin IMO that's old hippie lore.Like driving a screw into the main stalk will somehow stress her out and produce more trichs,poppy cock.If someone could explain the mechanics of it in a sensible way,I'd like to hear it.Nothing produces more trichs than a happy plant that's well cared for until the very end.I understand that they think trichs may be a reaction for protection against some environmental factors,but stressing it out deliberately?Not me I couldn't bear to

Rodehazrd

Mine have to be watered slow it all runs off quick so I give all a cup full or two and then repeat I continue till it runs out filling the tray. Next day it's all sucked back up. If not I drain the saucer. So do I loose anything going In. The tray?
Rodehazrd

Floridian

Veteran
I'm not sure what you mean by lose anything,but after saturating the soil I wouldn't let the pot sit in a tray that has runoff in it.If its dry the next day it must be from evaporation unless you aren't saturating the medium at the bottom part of the pot.You should be able to put more in than just a cup or two at a time,are you using any perlite?Everyone has there own way of watering I guess.I water at the outerside of the medium going slowly in a counter-clockwise direction and work slowly towards the middle.My 5 gal container with a large flowering plant takes a little more than a gallon.I do 4 plants at a time using 1 gal per 4 plants.Then I do the fifth gallon and normally get a good bit of runoff.The fifth gallon is concentrated mostly in the middle of the pot because at this point I've used quite a bit at the edges slowly working in.I call the last gallon my "stalk blast" because I concentrate it at the stalk and I'm goofy so I name shit lol