What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Controlling Fungus Gnats Indoors in Soil.

RB56

Veteran
Fungus gnats are a continuing problem. If they are in the environment outside your grow, they will find their way inside. For me that starts in spring and runs until first frost. People seem to love blaming soil brands for bringing FG into their grow room. Crazy. Fungus gnats are everywhere. Probably more likely to come into your grow room in your hair than in your soil.

Fungus gnats used to be considered a minor irritant - mostly to the grower. A healthy adult plant will probably survive an infestation. Starting plants will have problems. Fungus gnat larvae eat root hairs. This will slow mature plants. It will stop cuttings or seedlings from rooting.

Good news is that they are easy to kill. Lots of stuff will do it. Better news is that Gnatrol will kill them 100% of the time and it isn't toxic. 3 weekly treatments with a teaspoon of Gnatrol per gallon of water and it's done. You won't see any evidence of the gnats 24 hours after the first treatment. Keep it up though. The bacteria only last for a day and you need to get all of the larvae as they hatch. No harm, no foul.

Sort of. Gnatrol is expensive and it literally smells like shit. It gums things up. You don't want to ingest the spores, blah, blah, blah. For these reasons, I want to minimize my use of Gnatrol. I keep it on the shelf at all times.

Yellow sticky traps will kill some adults but it's better to think of them as indicator instead of treatment. Do use them. You will see the little bastards crucified on a sticky trap before you ever see one in flight.

I grow in soil - 2 parts Happy Frog, 1 part Perlite, right now. I start seeds and cuttings in beer cups, move them to 1 gallon #1 pots and finally to 5 gallon pots for flowering. I can effectively prevent fungus gnats in every container but the beer cups.

Fungus gnats need to be able to move between the soil and the air above it a few times during their life cycle. Creating a boundary through which they can't pass at the soil air boundaries stops them from developing and reproducing. The areas of concern are the top of the pot and the drain holes in the bottom. I make sure I use posts with 4 drains.

I build my barrier using fiberglass screen mesh and pea gravel. This is really a variation on the sand on top of the soil technique. I tried that and it worked but watering was more difficult than before. Sand washes out even more easily than soil.

I cut fiberglass mesh squares for the bottoms of the pots. The length and width of the square should be equal to the diameter of bottom of the pot.

I cut a fiberglass mesh circle for the top of the soil. Diameter equal to the diameter of the top of the pot. Circle is split from outer edge to center for stem.

RB56

Veteran

A layer of pea gravel on top. I washed the pea gravel thoroughly when it was new. It just needs to be rinsed after each subsequent use.

This requires some work, but works very well. When I get fungus gnats now, it's only in beer cups. Never need more than 2 gallons of Gnatrol mixture per treatment.

The extra work is more than made up for by how much faster I can water the plants. The fiberglass mesh and pea gravel distributes the water evenly over the surface and acts like a mulch to keep the surface from forming a crust. I really just dump the water in now and it spreads out perfectly, as if I had spent 10 minutes on it.

bmp420gti

this is a lot of good info, too late for me since im almost ready to flower. But how does the fiberglass prevent them from entering the pot drains? Does it just keep the soil compact and in place?

RB56

Veteran
this is a lot of good info, too late for me since im almost ready to flower. But how does the fiberglass prevent them from entering the pot drains? Does it just keep the soil compact and in place?

The holes in the mesh are small enough to keep them out and in. You want to stop adult fliers from laying eggs in the soil and you don't want the new adults to be able to escape from the soil. Also holds the soil in so don't get little piles at the drain holes. I do this for veg and flowering.

RB56

Veteran
Should also mention that I use the fiberglass mesh pieces over and over. Some have already been through 5 grows. I don't know what the upper limit is.

Fiberglass mesh I use is called Pet Resistant, manufactured by New York Wire. Doesn't say anything on the package about mesh size. I Googled "New York Wire Pet Resistant" and it was all that came up. Purple label.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran

Works a treat!

I used to use the screening, but find that dryer sheets work very well and have the advantage of repelling any new gnats through scent before they try to sneak through the pea gravel and lay eggs through the screen.

I use them on the solo cups too.
Don't need to be an exact fit because of the scent barrier.
I usually lift them to water because I don't want to wash off the repellent
For the weep holes I use coffee filters in the bottom.
Dirt cheap and disposable.
(I kept losing track of my reusable screens)

Aloha,
Weezard

intotheunknown

Veteran
Good info here, I like the ideas!

If I may add a weapon to this mix here, toss the mighty SHOP VAC into this equation. They have nowhere to go now, but into a shop vac. Takes a little time but will help tremendously here IMO.

bmp420gti

dude the shop vac in ingenious, i have one right there too. fuck i cant wait to kill those little bastards with it!

I have used screens and they seem to just get in the way. I have found letting the soil completely dry out puts a quick end to a break out.

RB56

Veteran
E.g. When using stakes

Occurred to me on my way to work this morning that stakes might have been your issue. I had the same reaction at first. Discovered that it was easy to angle the tip outward a little to get them past the edge of the mesh and then just slide the stakes down the sides of the pot as normal.

I'll take some pictures next time I'm in the flower room.

Could also be an issue if you use a moisture probe. I don't and the approach solves enough other problems to balance very strongly on the positive side.

For the shop-vac gnat murdering crew - I understand the impulse. An infestation will make you hate them. The important point is that I don't have infestations any more. If a few show up on the yellow cards, they are in beer cups and are quickly disposed of. I haven't had anything I could vacuum out of the air since I started doing this.

intotheunknown

Veteran
dude the shop vac in ingenious, i have one right there too. fuck i cant wait to kill those little bastards with it!

Thank you. It really does work wonders. smack the pots at first to get em flying around and just start wiping them out. You can take out some serious numbers of adults with some time. eliminate adults and prevent them from breeding, then work on the larvae. problem solved. just takes a little time and patience.

RB56

Veteran
picture.php

5 gallon pail. Stakes.

bmp420gti

So i have like 5 dead gnats total in a sticky roll and got another 5 or so with my shop vac, i admit that was pretty fun.

Botanigard? There isnt a ton of info about it around here, just that its a fungus and some people have used it and claimed burnt plants? It comes in two forms, powder and liquid, powder for soil I suppose?