What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

G

High&Lonesome said:
yes. i had a couple moms in 16 oz dixie cups and every 6-8 weeks i'd cut the soil down to about a 2x2 inch cube and replant. they never went into shock or anything just had a nice healthy growth spurt. it worked absolutely wonderful for me.

Excellent just what I wanted to hear, thanks guys! :D

G

Would it be hard to keep sativas as bosai moms

Would it be hard to keep sativas as bosai moms

Would it be possible to keep some near or full blooded sativas as moms under 18/6.

G

Gangsta Lean said:
can u do males to and not that them pollenate

Absolutely, as long as you keep the males under 18/6 or more lighting constantly they would work well as "father" plants". Just take a clone when you need to pollinate and send him into flower.

Best of luck, take care

guerilla

G

wauii234 said:
Would it be possible to keep some near or full blooded sativas as moms under 18/6.

no it would not. acapulco gold bonsai:

just trim them back accordingly.

SoulShine

Well, I HAVE to try this. Awesome thread. Thanks to all for their input. Guerilla, adding to your rep! You rock!
SS

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Soo much info within this thread. I can't wait to get things going using everything I have learned here. Thank you all for your valuable information

FRizzo

:joint:

Fab thread. I'm baked so you'll forgive me my subtly swagged smile. :D

Question, though: can you sex out your potential mums before starting the training methods and if so, what's the soonest height you can take testing clones to determine sex? I want to do my first grow and use bagseed until I can afford good genetics but I want to sex 10 out to find a true super mum. A bonsai mighty mouse, so to speak.

Any help would rule. I figure with a small box of 2 mums in permanent veg would give me little 3x3x6 foot box very productive! Jah be praised all.

G

guerilla1018 said:
TAKING CLONES FROM BONSAI MOMS

""There are a number of reasons for not rooting directly into plug trays."
Lets look at what we need from a rooted cutting... We want one that is suited to growing in a confined space i.e. a pot. They are as closely matched as possible. To get good yields from a grow, uniformity is the rule. It is no good having one plant that produces 50 grams when its 2 neighbours only produce 15 grams each. They are identical stock but this is what is often seen in grow after grow. It is much better to try and get all the plants averaging 35 grams well within the capacity of the stock line of a plant that can make 50 grams.

Remember we are talking about growing in soil based or soilless compost mixes. The root type that the cutting produces is very important, lots of fine feeder roots are the ideal, anchor and tap roots are totally unwanted when growing in a pot. Remember the amount feeder root mass directly effects the potential crop weight

The 3.5-inch pots are 4 inches high; the rooting mix is very open with low nutrient content. This encourages early taproot development. Not all the cuttings will have rooted at the same time, so when they are transferred to the plug trays the root balls are trimmed to the same size and the tap root is removed, this goes a long way towards equalising the clones. Once they are transferred as below they tend to stay pretty even and grow on rapidly. To show what we are looking for some equalised clones grown on and just put into flower. There are several varieties in this grow and there is not more than an inch or so between plants in each variety. They are placed by variety to make a stadium effect and make maximum use of light.

Around ten days later the cuttings will have rooted through. The rootball is gently broken up, each cutting has its roots trimmed back to equalise the cuttings and make them fit the plug tray! Full strength peat or coir compost using organic base fertilisers, are used for this.

Then they are put back in the Clone/Mother box for about 5/6 more days until thoroughly rooted through, this is very important at all stages of repotting! Fully rooted plants just jump ahead when moved on-- we have found that plants moved into bigger pots too early typically produce 25% to 30% less final crop weight!

This is very interesting to me. However I grow Hydro, Rapid rooters the rockwool for veg then into rocks in ebb flow buckets.

I can see the benift of not using the plugs so you can trim the tap root, Will this trimming of the tap root work in my setup? :confused:

PHANTOM

excellent pics and info........... when you start your mums do you keep them on 24HR light???????????????

s0cK3y3

Just wanted to thank you for the great info. I am starting my mothas to do this. I will post pics soon!

to my new mum guru

to my new mum guru

man oh man--i shall call you master bonsai
thank you for sharing your hard work and time...

this will be very helpful to me...

K

khaleel

call me mr. myagi

call me mr. myagi

bonsai ooks like the way to go. so from my understanding if i have a foot-tall plant in veg, the first thing i do is just trim the main growth tip back at the fourth node?

K

khaleel

can you convert a grown-from-seed, 14 inch plant into a bonsai? i get the idea that you have to start when they are young... makes sense, but i just thought i'd check and see.