What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Early Sexing

Budley Doright

Veteran
Earlier in the thread...I suggested removing the stipules........

the long triangular shaped leaves in front of the preflower.....

I cant quite see where on the plant you are looking....but I think you are looking too low.....

You should be looking only at the top 3 nodes......

Last edited:

Kozmo

Veteran
10-4 on all the helpful info. Going to need to look into a better camera for pics. I purchased a 100x magnifieing LED jewlers lense($11). Takes some getting used to but I have discovered what I believe is the right area. One plant of the two has like a swelt up sist as far as shape goes(like a oval pimple but green) lol. The other has hairs. One spot has three. The other has two but there curling toward each other almost like a crab claw. Not sure what this all means just sharing my beggining experiences.

On another note. On YouTube(yes I said it) a guy ran an experiment sexing from seed. Something about the seed end that was connected to the flower being concave almost like a crater would be the indicator it was a female.

Popping seeds very soon any way so ill be checking out this snake oil.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
In those photos a few posts back, the preflowers are there all right. But I had trouble telling what I was looking at. The one on the right looks like a ball and has considerable surface texture, so I say male. The one on the left appears to be triangular which looks like a cone which would mean female! But sometimes male preflowers have a triangular upright leaf shape growing at the base of the ball, sometimes growing around it somewhat. That could be what I'm seeing. That photo was posted a week ago so there must be more to look at now. The plants I'm starting right now don't show preflowers until node six or seven.

When you say hairs, do you mean long slender upright filaments coming out of the top of a cone? If so then female.

luvtogrow

Don't get me wrong, some are more pronounced than others...but all that I've seen so far in my experience have been visible to the naked eye after the 4th or 5th week of veg. Even if you can't quite make out the shape you can at least see the two emerging pistils in a female preflower, and with males I usually tend to see those showing sex sooner than females anyway. I definitely am guilty of rooting around with the loupe and scope and trying to identify preflowers early as well, but most of the time I can contain myself :dance013:

My reason for using and suggesting an eyelupe 7x, is getting the males out of prime light and getting the females prime light, reducing veg footprint early as possible. I always see the preflower emerging with naked eye, but need the magnification to make an absolute determination super early. Otherwise might have to add light early to keep all under footprint.

Floridian

Veteran
I know this has probably been said,and sorry if it was.A preflower isn't the pistil, its the smooth,cone or teardrop shape structure that the pistil emits from.Same with the male with the rounder,rougher almost cabbage looking male structure.Just get a magnifying glass and you should never ever have to change photocycles to determine sex.4 to 6 weeks of vegtime .a magnifying glass and a very basic knowledge of the different plant structures is all you need

luvtogrow

I know this has probably been said,and sorry if it was.A preflower isn't the pistil, its the smooth,cone or teardrop shape structure that the pistil emits from.Same with the male with the rounder,rougher almost cabbage looking male structure.Just get a magnifying glass and you should never ever have to change photocycles to determine sex.4 to 6 weeks of vegtime .a magnifying glass and a very basic knowledge of the different plant structures is all you need
Not sure if you are refering to my post in reference to preflower isn't the pistol and me saying emerging preflower. I am talking the bump that starts behind the stipule in front of the new stem growth which is the emerging preflower. With much experience one can tell with high certainty by the look of the emerging preflower (bump structure) way, way, way before the pistil shows. If I had to wait for a pistil, would have to say yes might take up to 6 weeks. I've never had any, any strain take over 5 weeks, 99% show by week 4.
Fun finding that first preflower!

Floridian

Veteran
No my friend I didn't read any of it actually,which can seem stupid I guess lol.Just wanted to throw in my experience it bothers me because it is so simple.Must have a magnifying glass the stronger the better,Now I'm 56 maybe some 20 sumthins can see that tiny shit,I cant.Shape and texture tells the tale

guruverde

Well no crap... guess I might actually run some regs sooner rather than hoarding them for fear of sneaking a boy into the girls room.

Whipgame2y

10-4 on all the helpful info. Going to need to look into a better camera for pics. I purchased a 100x magnifieing LED jewlers lense($11). Takes some getting used to but I have discovered what I believe is the right area. One plant of the two has like a swelt up sist as far as shape goes(like a oval pimple but green) lol. The other has hairs. One spot has three. The other has two but there curling toward each other almost like a crab claw. Not sure what this all means just sharing my beggining experiences.

On another note. On YouTube(yes I said it) a guy ran an experiment sexing from seed. Something about the seed end that was connected to the flower being concave almost like a crater would be the indicator it was a female.

Popping seeds very soon any way so ill be checking out this snake oil.

I tried that experiment and I don't know for sure but I'm almost positive some that I choose as females turned outo male

Floridian

Veteran
Sexing from seed is like having Roscoe put his ear up to his cousins belly and holler Yee ha its a malformed lump!Ahh what does it all mean anyway

Tricks4u

I don't get all the "to buy a loupe or not" Really? How y'all judge ripeness wilthout a loupe? I know old school line of thought is a percentage of the hairs turning orange or brown, but that can be hit or miss, its very strain dependent.
Watching the Trichomes is the best way to harvest on time, and you need at least a 30X for doing this, though at my age I like at least a 60x.....with that in mind it would seem most growers would have one already......

40degsouth

Hi everyone,
I'm 100% gorilla and always carry a plant, birdwatching book and binoculars for plausible deniability!! ;-)
If you turn your binos back to front and look through the big end, instead of the small end, you end up with a very powerful microscope!!
Great thread!!!!!!!
Hope this helps.