What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question for the smarter than me folks.

So I’m building out my first grow room out of a portable shed. My area is 12x15 and I’m planning on doing soil in raised beds made from a 2x10 lined with plastic. I am wanting to use led lights and have them hung up. I have 20 lights that are very similar to the mars 1000 and are labeled as 1000 watt lights but only pull 150 true watts and am wondering how to figure out what to expect of my setup. Once I run my grow do I calculate my gpw by the listed 20k watts or the actual 3k true watts?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The word has it that, it is the actual "plug watts" that is used (for measuring). LEDs are equivalent to XXX, or a 20w LED replacing a 60w incandescent light bulb but, the LED only uses 1/3 of the power to achieve the equivalency. Hey, I don't like the comparison either... That being said, although genetics play an important role (amongst other things) in achieving G/W, it wasn't until I went from using "plugged watts" vice "advertised watts" did my yields fell into line with what was advertised by the breeder. It is a measuring tool, nothing more! As many more factors influence the "harvest" vice simply what you are pulling from the wall! :tiphat:

Gaussamer

I have 20 lights that are very similar to the mars 1000 and are labeled as 1000 watt lights but only pull 150 true watts

Should have spent more money on fewer higher quality lights and then expand your grow gradually. Sounds like the lights you got are Amazon fake Samsung panels. They'll grow weed but you'll need a sky full of them indoors and will have higher temps than more efficient lamps.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sounds like you're trying to cover 8 so need about 2500-4000 so should be about right.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I suspect the lights you are comparing them to is the mars ts1000, which are not listed as being 1000w that is just the model number. I have 2 of them. Gpw is a tool for showing off, and shouldn't be used at all as its very misleading. Total watts used throughout the grow cycle per gram/ ounce of dried bud would be a far better way to show off. Better still would be giving someone a bud to smoke and saying that cost x cents to produce.

Should have spent more money on fewer higher quality lights and then expand your grow gradually. Sounds like the lights you got are Amazon fake Samsung panels. They'll grow weed but you'll need a sky full of them indoors and will have higher temps than more efficient lamps.

I got these from an outdoor light dep guy that had a container of them he had made overseas. I do have a sky full of them though. I got a pretty damn good deal on 100 fixtures I couldn’t pass up. I’m also doing an outdoor light dep with multiple houses and will need something to keep some light on the plants. I am just trying them out inside for something to do but am just wondering how to figure the final dried gpw ratio.

Latest posts

Latest posts