What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double planting 20 gal...

CrushnYuba

I'm thinking about double planting some 20 gal pots. I have never double planted such a small pot. I have heard mention of guys doing inside. What does it look like when they get big? Anyone have pictures? 20s aren't that wide. I feel like they would be closeto the sides.

My grandparents died of covid out of state and dealing with it really set me back. I'm trying to make up time.

I would rather not mess with pots if i don't have too. But i need 2x as many plants to make up for time. What a nightmare. Buy smaller pots $$. Shovel into them. Not have drip for it OR put in a system that only works for 1 round! And the more pots the more silly little fittings

CrushnYuba

I appreciate that. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it though. It's been months and it's not a big deal anymore at all. I have already mourned. I just completely closed shop entirely.
but my buddies donated 500sqft of mothers !! and I'm trying to get back running from nothing as QUICKLY as possible.

i have never really double planted other then giant containers and beds and stuff. I'm setup to grow large bushes that fill big gaps between pots. It's not a good setup for double planting. I'm thinking tripple planting may be more uniform for a round space?
any suggestions someone could offer would be HUGE. I really have to maker up forlost time and i and scratching my head.

CrushnYuba

So the thing is.. I'm set up for growing "trees". I only have 1 20 gal pot per 14 sqft. So there is big gaps between the pots that need to be filled. A big round tree works. I'm hoping someone has a creative solution or some pictures of Double planting pots so i can get an idea the shape that grows out of it

I don't need it to be SOG fast. I need it to be like 1/2 the veg time i was spending. So 2 plants her 14sqft or maybe 3.

Fitzera

Without knowing the exact setup spacing wise...could you throw some 7 gal pots in between here and there? I know what you mean by tight for 2 plants especially when you do trees. And 7s are probably pretty small for you...but something along those lines?

thisisarolex

So the thing is.. I'm set up for growing "trees". I only have 1 20 gal pot per 14 sqft. So there is big gaps between the pots that need to be filled. A big round tree works. I'm hoping someone has a creative solution or some pictures of Double planting pots so i can get an idea the shape that grows out of it

I don't need it to be SOG fast. I need it to be like 1/2 the veg time i was spending. So 2 plants her 14sqft or maybe 3.

3x is 100% + 2/3's so like day 3 is day 10 of veg which is over 1/2. 2 plants and day 5 would be day 10 which is 1/2.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
So sorry for your loss. If you are indoors, I wouldn't increase the plants in the pots, however I would increase the lighting by double. I have grown plants close together indoors and out, only to find the plants had minimum growth due to more stem weight in the end. If you are outdoors use Sativa's dominate strains and give them plenty of root space. They will give you what you are asking for. 😎

CrushnYuba

No. It's not indoor. It's greenhouse. I posted in the indoor section because there are only like 3 light dep growers on this site. Dep is closer to in then outdoor.
I guess I'm just going to pull all the pots out and go down to 7s or maybe 10s. I think it's like 1500sqft. I was thinking a 7 or 10 for every 4sqft or so. 375 pots ain't cheap to do it only once. I could use those poly bags but i don't like how they have no shape. They just flop. And drip for 375 pots is allot of work.

I think I'm giving up the double planting scheme.

xerb

Hey CY, just my 2 cents, but

Double them up. Just tie them down - pull them apart.
2 plants in one pot works fine as long AS LONG AS THE PLANTS ARE RELATED TO EACH OTHER.
Otherwise they will compete with each other.

None of my friends try to grow trees in pots, they put them in raised beds. Free the Roots!
If you don't have a friend with one, small backhoes can be rented locally in Nevada County....

Can you make up the time you think you lost with supplemental light ?
3 or 4 weeks of growing inside should equal about 8 - 10 weeks outside, right?

Watch our local Craigslist, almost everything you need can be found for free or almost free, if you keep your eyes open!
Many good soil amendment are available free all the time, organic aged horse manure, lava rock, rotting hay, etc

I just picked up 36 25 gallon smart pots filled with Coot's soil mix for FREE - 2 full truck loads - did I mention FREE?
Recently, another guy out on Allison Ranch had like 50 200 gallon pots with soil, each on a pallet, FREE, but you needed a forklift to move them.
You can rent those too...
I love Craigslist !

If you need some help, look for someone younger!

Good Luck, XERB

CrushnYuba

Not trees at all the way we think about trees in Nevada county. It's the indoor section. They are just largish plants. I'm talking about 20gal pots. They are supplementaly lit. But no.. Plants grow 2x as fast outside as they do in!
I do have a ton of soil and i have contemplating doing beds so i don't have to do drip for hundreds of individual pots. Moving soil from other properties is a young man's game. Too time consuming. Totime is money. Very difficult to move a meaningful amount even with a dump trailer and skid loader. Be careful getting soil from Craigs list! Bugs n stuff!
But i got endless amounts of soil here.

studlybuds

You can definitely double plant 20-gal pots. Just train them away from each other as they grow. Supercrop them, tie them down, whatever. I've done it in much smaller pots (5 gal) and it's always worked fine. Smartpots are magic.

Latest posts

Latest posts