What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goodbye to perpetual

blackone

Veteran
Just put a bunch of plants under my 600W - for the first time in more than a year I'm just doing a normal grow instead of perpetual. Keeping track of different feeding schedules got old - and like this I'm in a better position to fight the damn thrips because I can give them pyrethrum now while they're vegging.

Pics to come before flower.

I am doing a perpetual grow with autos, but I am just in the starting stages, seed run right now, and then will start the perpetual, but did you run into any other problems other than feeding that I should be aware of? I plan to have a few buckets of nutes, with different strengths. I do hempy buckets so hand watering. But like 1 bucket will have flowering nutes, one veg nutes, and then mix up different strengths if I need them for special circumstances. What do you think?

Anyways, pulling up a chair for this one. Stay Safe.

Peace/Love/Joy

MrMcBean

I am doing a perpetual grow with autos, but I am just in the starting stages, seed run right now, and then will start the perpetual, but did you run into any other problems other than feeding that I should be aware of? I plan to have a few buckets of nutes, with different strengths. I do hempy buckets so hand watering. But like 1 bucket will have flowering nutes, one veg nutes, and then mix up different strengths if I need them for special circumstances. What do you think?

Anyways, pulling up a chair for this one. Stay Safe.

Peace/Love/Joy

Sorry to hijack here but i just wanted to say real quick that Autoflower strains are not very economical.. You will need 24 hrs of light to get the same yields other strains produce under 12 hours in the exact same amount of time.. (given you use cuttings..) I recommend getting a decent mother, and use cuts for perpetual growing.. and put those seeds ur making outdoors :)..

best of luck to all here

JQP

I mix my nutes up for the different stages in clear plastic water gallon containers, and label them with a sharpie. I also have two grow spaces and just keep what I am using in each grow space (.e., veg or flower). That also keeps the nute solution a nice temp. Things are pretty simple for me right now, but that is going to change soon, and I need to keep track.

JQ

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I do perpetual organics, and I don't worry about feeding schedules. I just feed them whenever, and feed them nice safe compost tea that doesn't overdose them.

blackone

Veteran
Thanks for the comments people. Today is day 1 12/12 and I'll see if I can get some more pics up - been slacking on the pic side lately.
Actually I've been procrastinating with my grow in general - and also been punished for it in terms of yield... Spent more time reading about growing and thinking about other systems than actually DOING something with what's on hand...
Back on track now though :) Got a nice full closet and a bunch of beautiful clones that I just need to treat really well to ensure a bumper harvest for my next grow.
I've got a couple of weeks to make up my mind: Is it gonna be coco next time, hydro, or dirt as usual...
It's that simple really - as Julian put it so nicely: WHAT you can, WHEN you can. Right now it's all about not forgetting to water, keeping an eye on the clones every day and making up my mind pretty fast about what to do with them.

Cappy

I did a perpetual harvest for 3-4 years before I got my 600 HPS cabinet. I so miss doing it today. With hindsite, it's my favorite way of growing once it's all dialed in...

razor ridge

I have to grow perpetual or I can't keep myself in smoke. Had great results with scrog but could never harvest enough to last until the next one was ready. I harvest 3 or 4 plants every couple of weeks. Works well, always have a little never have alot, and the smoke is always something a bit different...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Never discount grower personality. If you think you'll have more fun another way, do it. I was fascinated with perpetual up until the moment it was locked down and dialed in. Then it became a massive chore and I stopped. I'd rather harvest 2-3 times a year than 2-3 times a month but, that's just me.

blackone

Veteran
Yeah exactly - it becomes a chore to take care of different nutrient/water needs of plants at different stages.
I'm convinced that perpetual has the potential of yielding really well because you're able to squeeze the newest plants together and then seperate them a little more as they stretch.
I'm just tired of it... every day just flows into the next and you never have any "seasons" in the grow - there are always budding plants, plants building buds, plants almost ready for harvest etc.
Still haven't decided if I'll try out Coco with drippers or DWC for the next grow though... I would definitely love not having to water individual pots as I do now.

blackone

Veteran
So.. day 4 12/12 and they're stretching pretty damn good compared to my last many grows - I think I'm back on track:)
Some Swt#3 buds from last harvest:
picture.php

Some bubblehash I made:
picture.php

My room at day 4 - too bad I don't have any day1 pics - then you would have seen the stretch - normally swt#3 doesn't stretch much in flower but I guess I found some nice soil:
picture.php

A single seedbearing plant is in there with them - the seeds look mature now so I'll probably cut it soon. This is Phils Erdpurt * (E-Rocket*Danish Passion) - the fathers of the seeds were a couple that were seen to autoflower under 19 hours of light - with a little luck this might lead to a pretty early strain. Nothing wrong with the resin on that one...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My vegging chamber - got some outdoor clones rooting atm and also some swt#3 clones I took a few days ago.
Plants on the sides are grapefruit mothers, outdoor mothers and some small mothers to preserve phenos of Satori, SatoriXswt#3, DSD.
picture.php

My outdoor plants are all a mix of Danish and Swiss genes, made by Esbe. Later I'll also add some Freja from Sagaseeds - I'll dedicade a thread to my outdoor grow when I have more to show.

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
awesome bro! exiting with phils erdpurt x and the auto fathers! you swt3 nugs looks dank!

looking forward to your outdoors bro!

im also working some of ol enos beans this season.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Good luck with your current plans. The plants look nice and that handful of bud looks so much better than the NLxAfghan I just cut. I grow perpetual and the other than the seed runs, which produce less bud than sensi runs, the only drawback is the 24/7 crime. With plants always running at some stage, it can drag you down.

Like others have said, I only feed during flower and don't have to have an inventory of different nutes. I also have a better time keeping stocked than I did with individual grows. After 18 weeks this year, I have now harvested 13 plants. Not the 52 one would hope for, but enough to be pleased with the outcome.

Take your time and have fun. Life is too long to constantly worry.

blackone

Veteran
Good luck with your current plans. The plants look nice and that handful of bud looks so much better than the NLxAfghan I just cut. I grow perpetual and the other than the seed runs, which produce less bud than sensi runs, the only drawback is the 24/7 crime. With plants always running at some stage, it can drag you down.

Like others have said, I only feed during flower and don't have to have an inventory of different nutes. I also have a better time keeping stocked than I did with individual grows. After 18 weeks this year, I have now harvested 13 plants. Not the 52 one would hope for, but enough to be pleased with the outcome.

Take your time and have fun. Life is too long to constantly worry.

Seed runs in a perpetual sounds like a recipe for disaster... the plants in later stages will be full of immature seeds... I have occasionally dusted a few buds without having problems with stray pollen though.

As for 24/7 crime... perpetual is actually best here because you never have a room full of mature plants + a full batch of clones ready to take their place.

Next grow I'm really hoping to be able to move away from soil. I'm planning on a recirculating system with 4 dwc tubs connected to a reservoir. These will hold 4 or 6 plants each for a total of 16 or 24 plants - I'm not sure on the number yet because I'm unsure of how much bigger they'll get in hydro. I already have the pumps - all I need now is to go out and buy some nice tubs I found + nutes, netpots and hydroton.

blackone

Veteran
Well - I've pretty much made up my mind about the next grow - I'm choosing soil again, with an added promise to myself NOT to experiment with anything else or start any new indoor strain before I get around to building a small R&D closet.
In fact next run will be 100% Swt#3 - The one strain that has never let me down and always delivers for me. I'll be running 20 or 24 cuts that already have roots now - and I know they'll be able to veg to perfect size in 13 cm containers that I already have if I just treat them well. It's really that simple - no more screwing around and experimenting with the main closet.

Also doing some outdoor stuff - I'm pretty excited about some seeds I made myself. They are F2s of Phils Erdpurt X (E-Rocket X Danish Passion) made with some males that were autoflowering under 19 hours of light. Here is my pollinated mother shortly before harvest a couple of weeks ago:
2r6p7ow.jpg

Seeds:
k0rbl1.jpg

blackone

Veteran
Damn had troubles with my timer. My omnirex failed some time ago and I replaced it with a cheap timer. Last day I came home to see that the timer had not shut off, so the plants had missed one night. I replaced it - but sadly all I had was another cheap timer and I don't know how long it will last.
It's supposed to be good for up to 10 amps and my lamp + vent is around 3 amps so I don't know what the problem is-perhaps a power spike when turning on that fries the switch inside and prevents it from turning off again. I'm gonna have to check them every morning and evening now - might as well just skip the timer and turn on/off manually but then again I might forget it.

I'm seriously considering just buying a timer relay and be done with that shit! But it's quite expensive - really low on cash atm.

Apart from that everything looks good in there - I might be looking at my best harvest to date.

G

guest101

Why not buy another legrand timer... Allways better than oem.
Are you running everything on one timer?
You could use the better timer just to handle the light.
How's the grow? Strech must be over! hehe
Best grow wishes.