What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Hi guys

Just dropped in to say hello.

Yeah, perhaps that picture gives you the idea that expensive nutes are needed to grow good plants, but unfortunately, I cannot edit the guide anymore. The moderators have since then changed the number of allowed pictures within one post. The number of pictures in the guide exceeds that limit, so in order to edit the guide, I would have to split it up over several posts (like post #2 and #3 etc.). I cannot save any changes and keep the guide as it is now. Due to this fact, I will leave it alone.

In any case, you can grow plants with any kind of nutes, but the organic ones are the best in my opinion. I have tried several different kinds of chemical fertilizers and they are less forgiving, in terms of overfeeding. It's easier to burn the plants with chemical fertz. The chemical fertz also tend to accumulate in the plant tissue, giving rise to bad taste and also burning of the lips when smoked. In short, the organic nutes are better for many reasons. They are also broken down and absorbed more easily by the plant. Plants will, however, grow with any kind of suitable nutrients and one can adjust the dosage until one finds something that works, without said side-effects.

Yeah, bombadil.360 is right. If you cannot get the seeds to germinate by any means, then they are probably too old or dead. In that case, they have probably been sitting on a shelf so long that they dried up completely. Chipping the seed coat is pretty much 100% effective, as long as the seeds are alive. Germination usually occurs within 24 hours, using that method, although it comes with the risk of killing the seed by cutting too deep.

In regards to growing plants far north, you should look for autoflowering strains or plants that have been acclimatized to northern environments. Some Danish outdoor strains have been grown there since the 1970's, so they will have a greater chance of producing bud further up north than plants from say, Afghanistan. Still, if you are way up north, even the Danish outdoor strains might be too late to flower. The only guaranteed harvest will come from autoflowering plants, as they will flower regardless of the photoperiod (triggered by age). Autos are, however, less potent that regular indoor plants, because they have been infused with Cannabis Ruderalis (fibre hemp), in order to gain the autoflowering trait. I worked on the autoflowering plants for numerous generations, and only through selective breeding, was I able to increase the potency to acceptable levels. Autos are also dwarf plants, meaning that they are very small in size. In order to compensate for that fact, you have to grow a lot of plants.

There is also a third option which has quite recently come to light; namely pure autoflowering Asian sativas. The autoflowering trait (and to some degree a hermie trait) seems to be prevalent in some of these plants. A few guys have been working with these plants in order to create large-sized autos with high potency. These plants have no Ruderalis in them, so they are not low to medium potency dwarves, but huge plants that still have the same autoflowering trait. I have not tried these plants, but I talked to the guys and their plants show great promise. Look for strains called; Auto Asian Haze and Samurai Jack.

Good luck and keep it green

Kiloz

Hey Kodiak!

Just want to say thank you for this wonderful guide, it have helped many people including myself!

Awesome work Kodiak! I tried to download the pdf, but when I follow the link, guide1.exe downloads, not guide1.pdf. I do not wish to download an exe file, is there any source for the original pdf file? Thanks!

cboy

Dear Kodiak,

thx for sharing the wonderfull guide.
I have the same problem as 'OldGuyInOregon' I can't seem to download your PDF file.
If you could send it to my email directly or PM me on more info.
Thx!!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ee0de9b4-74e3-4bad-9404-4e221d353edf.jpg
ic

Crazy bugger, you're supposed to smoke it, not eat it :D

Haven't seen this thread in awhile, good to see you around Kodiak.
ic

God bless

I know this post is quite old, but only hps and mh light sources are mentioned. I wonder if Kodiak has worked with LED's and can share some info on his experiences.

God bless

Hi guys

Just dropped in to say hello.

Yeah, perhaps that picture gives you the idea that expensive nutes are needed to grow good plants, but unfortunately, I cannot edit the guide anymore. The moderators have since then changed the number of allowed pictures within one post. The number of pictures in the guide exceeds that limit, so in order to edit the guide, I would have to split it up over several posts (like post #2 and #3 etc.). I cannot save any changes and keep the guide as it is now. Due to this fact, I will leave it alone.

In any case, you can grow plants with any kind of nutes, but the organic ones are the best in my opinion. I have tried several different kinds of chemical fertilizers and they are less forgiving, in terms of overfeeding. It's easier to burn the plants with chemical fertz. The chemical fertz also tend to accumulate in the plant tissue, giving rise to bad taste and also burning of the lips when smoked. In short, the organic nutes are better for many reasons. They are also broken down and absorbed more easily by the plant. Plants will, however, grow with any kind of suitable nutrients and one can adjust the dosage until one finds something that works, without said side-effects.

Yeah, bombadil.360 is right. If you cannot get the seeds to germinate by any means, then they are probably too old or dead. In that case, they have probably been sitting on a shelf so long that they dried up completely. Chipping the seed coat is pretty much 100% effective, as long as the seeds are alive. Germination usually occurs within 24 hours, using that method, although it comes with the risk of killing the seed by cutting too deep.

In regards to growing plants far north, you should look for autoflowering strains or plants that have been acclimatized to northern environments. Some Danish outdoor strains have been grown there since the 1970's, so they will have a greater chance of producing bud further up north than plants from say, Afghanistan. Still, if you are way up north, even the Danish outdoor strains might be too late to flower. The only guaranteed harvest will come from autoflowering plants, as they will flower regardless of the photoperiod (triggered by age). Autos are, however, less potent that regular indoor plants, because they have been infused with Cannabis Ruderalis (fibre hemp), in order to gain the autoflowering trait. I worked on the autoflowering plants for numerous generations, and only through selective breeding, was I able to increase the potency to acceptable levels. Autos are also dwarf plants, meaning that they are very small in size. In order to compensate for that fact, you have to grow a lot of plants.

There is also a third option which has quite recently come to light; namely pure autoflowering Asian sativas. The autoflowering trait (and to some degree a hermie trait) seems to be prevalent in some of these plants. A few guys have been working with these plants in order to create large-sized autos with high potency. These plants have no Ruderalis in them, so they are not low to medium potency dwarves, but huge plants that still have the same autoflowering trait. I have not tried these plants, but I talked to the guys and their plants show great promise. Look for strains called; Auto Asian Haze and Samurai Jack.

Good luck and keep it green

Hey Kodiak thanks again for sharing the knowledge. I too seek to grow strictly organic but I'm a rookie so not too keen on the best organic nutes to try. Hoping you can recommend some that you have used? God bless.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A liquid feed regime or water only soil mix?

Loads of information either way if you do a site search.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Hey Guys

It's been a while since I logged on to the forum.

Just wanted to say hello and check in on the threads.

Regarding liquid organic nutes, I think that BioBizz is the very best brand.

Naturally, you can get equally good results with something else, but I always liked BioBizz and never looked back.

Thanks for pointing out that the PDF files no longer work.

It's been a while since I uploaded them and I no longer remember the password to that site.

I cannot edit the post, because it contains more pictures than is currently allowed and I don't want to split up the post.

I have however uploaded the files again and here are the links to the PDF files for both my guides.

I will also post both links on the other thread:

Growing Guide

Topping & Training Guide

Enjoy :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts