What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

picture.php
picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
While I have used DWC successfully, I much prefer a simple F & D. Having an outboard rez simplifies adding/changing nutes, checking pH, AND keeping temps cool

Root pic is from my current 3 g bubble bucket. Note my roots are all coming from the net pot instead of a few feeder roots. I transferred her to my Mini-Me F & D to make life easier

MedicinalLifer

I have run aeroponics and water and when power goes out for 5 or 6 hours plants without proper warmth will die, so instead of going back to organic ammendments in pro mix, I opted for coco, have some plants from 2 foot to 5 all in 1 gallon bags, not showing any signs of being rootbound at 11 weeks old from seed, 2 of the weeks are 12/12

Megaprop

DWC is fascinating - so simple but so effective! Just make sure you keep your air pump above the height of the waterline, also use a non-return valve in the air line, just to make sure. Oh, and keep a spare air pump handy in reserve!

Zatoichi

I'm not sure how long I would be vegging for quite yet. I will be doing a scrog grow with my current soil grow under a 400 watt HPS. The seedlings are currently in the process of germination, unfortunetly I live in the north USA, and due to oil costs, were cutting out how often we have the house heated. The seeds have been germing for about 24 hrs so far, not sure about my luck with them quite yet until temps get a bit warmer.

My box is 3x3x6 ft. I was planning on having that as my flower chamber and just using my closet as a veg chamber. I would veg the plants in a 6 pot rubbermaid setup and then switch them over to single 3-5 gal buckets where they could have there own nutes and what not.

With the pump, could you explain or point me in the direction in how I can setup one pump to work for say 6 separate systems?

They make a big netpot that fits the 3and 5 gallon buckets.

First if you can move your box near your furnace, burning fuel oil kicks out C02
Get that air in your box it will raise your growth by 20-30%!

EL1M1N80R

This is similar to one I build. Except I have a pump connected for drip feeding. I use stakes instead of a ring because I can pull out the stakes and remove the lid for res change.

R

Rageous8899

Nice. This is what i started with and prob what ill stick with. I do have a bucket that has just a h20 pump with a little mist attachment on that shuts off for 15 min every 3 hrs and that one seemed to grow the fastest, but i had issues with roots plugging the pump. Lol. Made my stuff all myself with solo cups, 5 gal bucket lid and hydroton.
Mistake i made was lockout and my nug never seemed to finish right. And i think the plant started to eat itself. Lol. Idk. Good thread man. Thanks https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72852&pictureid=1735463

T_B_M

Heres my endorsement: :)
I tried this at first with one plant in a 5 gal bucket to avoid killing everything in case I screwed something up, but it was a breeze compared to soil. Now I currently have a cycle almost finished using two 14 gallon totes with two 6" net pots in each. One stone under each plant for this trial, will go with better stones for more air next grow now that I know I can do this and not kill everything.
I decided to try to only change the bins out every 20-21 days when the pH starts swinging and the nutes are no longer buffering the water. The concentrations of the different nutrients get out of whack after this long anyway, probably sooner. At 25 days I started to get some rusty spots so I knew I had went over the change over date(experiment), so 21 is perfect since my finish times are roughly 63 days. Use a reservoir with water pump for change overs also, lugging 14 gallon totes of water around isn't fun.
DWC blew away my soil grows(5 years in soil). I went from 3 oz. per plant to almost 7 per plant (3-4 ft. bushes). I cant grow tall but these DWC plants were growing into the lights by the time stretch was over. They never stretched this much and always struggled after week 5 in soil. I now have foot long or greater colas as well. Bud sites all down the taller branches. I'm sold on DWC and hydro in general. Never going back to soil. Running a 2 stage perpetual system should get me in the 2 lb. range every full flower rotation (4 months) using an LEC 630 light fixture. I just can't believe I stayed with soil for that long before trying DWC. For me DWC is easier and the clear winner, I could never get monsters in soil unless I vegged FOREVER (I was probably the issue, I know). The fact one can monitor pH and EC and know those two variables aren't the reason for an issue makes diagnosing and fixing plant issues a breeze now. Automation is also a lot simpler with hydro.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have used dwc for several years, but am only going to be using it until root system adequately develops, then transfer to low pressure aero and/or my DIY Mini Me F & D. The harvested roots are much smaller in volume, BUT, the plants seem to reach their full potential

When roots are in nutes 24/7, the potential for disaster is highly increased and while it can work well, I am of the opinion that roots benefit from dry periods, which will help microbes to colonize on them

iwade4fish

fish keeping guy here... the deeper the water in the container, the harder it is for your pump to counteract that pressure to get ir to the bubbler. i recommend a cheap ($35) linear piston air pump with a gang-line(6 outlets): moves alot of air, slight noise issue that can be fixed by suspending it with bungy chords

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
While I have used DWC successfully, I much prefer a simple F & D. Having an outboard rez simplifies adding/changing nutes, checking pH, AND keeping temps cool
Root pic is from my current 3 g bubble bucket. Note my roots are all coming from the net pot instead of a few feeder roots. I transferred her to my Mini-Me F & D to make life easier

how big are the netpots??? by the way...nice grow

TexanTerps

How about a 2020 update on some good nutrient packages for a beginning grower. I have been very impressed with house and garden's results. However I found them to be 150 bucks each for the 2.5 or 5 gal jugs of it. That would be great if I were grpwing a warehouse full except I only want to start with 3-5 buckets.
Jacks seems simple, but have changed formulas.

Joint Lock

How about a 2020 update on some good nutrient packages for a beginning grower. I have been very impressed with house and garden's results. However I found them to be 150 bucks each for the 2.5 or 5 gal jugs of it. That would be great if I were grpwing a warehouse full except I only want to start with 3-5 buckets.
Jacks seems simple, but have changed formulas.

Maxibloom @ 2-7grams per gallon depending on size of plant
(LUCAS FORMULA style) Look up the KISS thread in search

GOD710

Get an elbow with a clear hose coming from the bottom and you be able to check water levels also :)
I was thinking of doing this to test a side by side difference in using an air bubbler or a small water pump