What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Reggie1387

Attachments

• AF4184B3-CBA5-4E56-A3AD-92B35C091240.jpg
    AF4184B3-CBA5-4E56-A3AD-92B35C091240.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 53586072-8D14-4ACA-989F-385531CF8891.jpg
    53586072-8D14-4ACA-989F-385531CF8891.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 93

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I'll just give this thread a little bump, because it was the thing that helped me grow my very first cannabis crop, about eleven years ago!

I only grow for personal use, and I still use hempy buckets, with the perlite/vermiculite mix. For feeding, I follow the instructions on this thread- ==The Recipe==

If you're thinking about growing for the first time, this is a great place to start! If you have tried and failed a couple times using other methods, this is a great thread for you!

Thank you!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started growing good weed! Go Hempy Buckets For The Win!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Please excuse me for not going thru all 481 pages. My question is related to growing from seed. Could a person make a "well" with a little extra vermiculite and then direct seed into it? I'd germinate in a paper towel first of course. I'd prefer to do that if possible rather than try to germ in Jiffys or Rockwool etc. (I don't seem to have much success doing that is why I ask).

I should think that pests wouldn't be a big problem seeing as how commercial soils aren't being used,and that reasonable care is exercised when entering the growspace from outdoors.

hayday

Veteran
Ya slim,something easy to do is make small hempys out of 3oz cups after germinated in paper towels , then a solo 20 oz hempy and from there to the flower pot.I use straight perlite and water with plain as needed in the 3 oz.
I would not waste the resources trying to sprout in a large pot but what you asked might work.

hayday

Veteran
I actually went back to organic living soil and kept using my hempy 5 gallons. The bottom is filled with perlite to the drain and soil on top. my yeild dropped abou 25% but its alot easier on me as I can boogie off for 4 days and not worry.
Love Hempy buckets:greenstars:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Slim- "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Could a person make a "well" with a little extra vermiculite and then direct seed into it?"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I guess you could. What I do is pop beans in paper towels and THEN stick 'em in rockwool. Pretty successful method for me, but your mileage might vary.
[/FONT]

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Ya slim,something easy to do is make small hempys out of 3oz cups after germinated in paper towels , then a solo 20 oz hempy and from there to the flower pot.I use straight perlite and water with plain as needed in the 3 oz.
I would not waste the resources trying to sprout in a large pot but what you asked might work.

Hayday!!

I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible. Going directly to the final container eliminates transplant shock, and I always seem to get a mess when I transplant anyway. It's just another of my many talents. :D

I actually went back to organic living soil and kept using my hempy 5 gallons. The bottom is filled with perlite to the drain and soil on top. my yeild dropped abou 25% but its alot easier on me as I can boogie off for 4 days and not worry.
Love Hempy buckets:greenstars:

I'mma stay with the original tried and true method myself. Not that I would ever feel the need attempt to dissuade anyone from tweaking things to their own liking. But for me, the original method looks to deliver good results, and that is ok with me.

Slim- "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Could a person make a "well" with a little extra vermiculite and then direct seed into it?"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I guess you could. What I do is pop beans in paper towels and THEN stick 'em in rockwool. Pretty successful method for me, but your mileage might vary.
[/FONT]

I'm slow Jelly. I might have arrived at that method myself given time to consider the options. I have read suggestions that 3 x 3 RW cubes (blocks) be used,but is there any reason that 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 cubes couldn't be used?

I think I'll use 2 gal buckets. I don't have a lot of room, and it appears this method yields well anyway.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I use the 1.5X1.5 ones and they work fine. I think the bigger ones would not work as well for hempy bucket method, but I don't know. I have always used the smaller ones.

I usually have them in cottage cheese/yoogurt size mini-hempys for most of the veg period. When I move them up to bigger buckets (2 gal is fine), I trim the roots, which are probably grown into a hard mold of whatever container they were in. They love it. They start rapid growth right away!

You can do just fine with those two gallon buckets. I like the plastic Halloween buckets, they're a little less than 2 gals. I think.

Rock on with your bad self!

hayday

Veteran
I always get root rot with rockwool so i got away from it. Perlite only for sprouts and seedlings here.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
My main concern is starting from seed Hayday. I put some generic seed to water,and then will go to paper towels once the seeds have split.Then I'll put them in rockwool cubes and see how that goes.

In fact,it might be an even better idea to go to RW as soon as the seams show splitting to avoid damaging the taproots.

nivek

I always get root rot with rockwool so i got away from it. Perlite only for sprouts and seedlings here.

ditto here,, perlite only, ever. watering the newly planted germed seeds can be a bit tricky as well as the sprouts,,

seems to be easier to 'over water' the seeds and sprouts than it is to under water

:wave:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
To each his own, but I rarely have a problem with RW. I guess I would have to try NOT using them to know if I like it better. I guess it's one less thing to have to buy if you don't use it.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I put 5 seeds that were just beginning to split into rw cubes today.I had put 6 seeds to water,but one is a laggard.I will cube that one up when it splits.These are excess seeds that I had on hand to experiment with.

I soaked the cubes,and then squeezed some of the excess out so they wouldn't be saturated.Let's see what happens there.

In the meantime,I'll put a couple seeds to water till I see tails a quarter in long or so,then into a party cup of perlite/vermiculite mix (mini hempy if you will) and be careful when I water and see if that is a viable route to take. Again,let's see what happens there.I'd like to just go direct to the buckets as I said before,but whichever works better is the way I'll go.

I'll be sure to update..unless it's a complete foul up,in which case I'll delete my account and come back with a different nick.Ha ha ha ha.

So. Anybody want to guess what the new nick is? :D j/k

Slim Pickens

Veteran
3 days later and all 6 seeds are up and doing well in the RW cubes.I was going to do the perlite/vermiculite test (and still might),but the RW technique was a snap.Can't imagine anything any easier.

Thanks Jelly.