What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My First Hydro Grow!! E&F

wikidcalibudgrl

:wave: Hi ther IC people!! Well I'm off and running with my new set-up. I got's me a 4x4 E&F tbl, 1000wt mh (&1000 wt HPS for flowerin'). 8" net pots ( i think LOL) rockwool cubes surrounded by Hyydroton. Just got our Tri-Meter and new timer ( Thank You Xtrakritical for the timer suggestion, I found that same one at my local HD too and it's kickin ass) I'm using the GH Flora three part nutes (and a few other things at flower, but that's a couple weeks away still).

I've had my babies ( 4 Nebulas and one NL x, one HGF) for four days now, runnin at 18 hrs on. I flood every 4 hrs now, and once at dark cycle. I had a big PH problem b4 hookin up my Tri-Meter and gettin it under control ( it was 8.0 at first test!!) Got it down to 5.3 yesterday, and will keep it between 5-6. Right now they'er on a 1/4 strength nutes (they just started getting fed two days b4 I got um so don't wanta hurt um :wink: ) rez is about 69 degrees. Rez will be changed out weekly.
I was hoping yall could chime in and give me a clue :p about my problem though, I thought it was the high Ph, buuuut not sure,here's a pic of the problem. the yellow in this first pic one the curled leaf is just a reflection of a light i had plugged in to finish up workin in there :D my lights went off b4 i finished up for the day).. and a few more of our set-up. Enjoy

any suggestions would be Much appreciated!

these were takin two days ago,,, i've seen about 1/2 or so growth off 3 of the 6 plants ,, but the leaf curl is whats buggin me :confused: More pics to come as the grow progresss! Hope yall stop by, give sugg's, and enjoy the show!

~Wikid :joint: :smoweed:

Rellikbuzz

Hey WikidGrl - Sounds like you off to a great start!! By the way, what are we growing here (strain/s)? I'll be tuning in to see how another "newbie" does on her first grow! Congrats and good luck!! :yes: :friends:

Rellikbuzz

BTW - The leaf curl could still be from the stress of the high PH early on in your res. You might try and put a LITTLE bit of Superthrive (Vitamin B-1) in your res to help them through their shock. This stuff is awesome and it's cheap and available at any garden center. Just use it in very small amounts. A little goes a long way.

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
Looking good so far. I would suggest only flooding 4 times a day total.....none at dark right now. They are very young and do not require alot of water right now. You could go every 6 hours or more. Are the clay pebbles new? The first few waterings will bring out alot of junk....even if you pre-washed them. After a couple days you should be able to keep pH under control. After a about 2 weeks when they start to really grow....you can increase feeding times to 5 or 6 times a day.
Maybe dump your res and start fresh. Once your pH rises that high and you need to add stuff to lower that far down......its best to dump and get fresh water.

Good luck....let us know if you have any questions. :canabis:

wikidcalibudgrl

Thank for stoppin by Rellik and HOG! Thanks so much for your imput!I'll post soon to update,and tell ya the hap's. I'm out to change timer settings :)

,,,BTW<< I'm already lovin Hydro,, it seems that at least three of the babies do too :chin: , I swear I seen growth on um in just a 3 hr's! then again I might be trippin'! :biglaugh: :wink:
HOG: my strain's are Nebula, Home Grown Fantasy (BlueBerry x White Widow), and a NLx ( I'll find out what it's crossed with and let yall know). Surprise to me! I didn't even know we got any HGF!! Gotta luv good friends! :friends: And my Hydroton are new,, in one pic you can see "Some junk" that has come off too, and I did wash um (i thought well :rolleyes: ) ohh well, i'll be changin my rez in two 1/2 days, so it'll be outie soon.

~Wikid :friends: :smoweed:

gwfh1974

Off to a great start!

Off to a great start!

Hey there sis great start. I will be able to watch your grow from here now lol!
Your goin to be my tester k and tell me what you think between hydro and soil war. Keep up on the pics too! I love ya sis and stay safe!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Yay, I found some1 to share Newbie E&F experience with....I just bought this a few weeks ago...

thats the leaflet....Its called the Dual Flow, dual beacuase u can use it 2 ways, E&F or NFT, I am going E&F....If u use it NFT u can add another 4 tays around the 1 tank which is good, I might have a go at NFT one day.
Anyway, a quick test run

works beautifully!
You have got a head start on me though...I am waiting on 21 clones rooting for it...shouldnt be ,uch longer now, although I was informed I had made a mistake using Hydroton as medium for the cloner. I know next time.
Maybe I could line the net-pots in my cloner with spreader mat(which I have some- it came with the dual flow) and use Perlite and vermiculite in my bubbble cloner?? obviously with them only beuing splashed though, not in the watetr at all!
I was thinking about combing the principles or bubble cloning, with wick cloning, as I had success with a wick cloner before..., I would just add an airstone to the res section to aerate the water this time! Hmmmm :chin: more projects methinks!

wikidcalibudgrl

:wave: Highyas Harry Gypsna! Thanks for stoppin by my little postie here,,, glad to find another newbie too! :biglaugh: I got an Aero-Cloner w/ removable top section for easy water changes, when I got my E&F tbl as well, it uses the 2" net pots and they threw in a package of a new product (just a sample package, but it's a BIG BAG of it) called USG/Thermafibre it's made by Gotta Grow Distribution. (they have a web site too!) They said it's a rock-wool type fibre, doesn't have to be washed and Ph'd like rockwool though. I'ma use that, see how it works out in the cloner on our first batch we do. It's a really loose fibre that'll tear apart easily, :chin: I think it'll be a nice medium in the 2" net pots for babies to start in, but we'll see! :rolleyes: I'll include a couple pictures of my cloner too,,, have a great grow my friend! Good luck and Good Health to ya :wink:

~Wikid :joint: :smoweed: :friends:

More updates soon ma friends! Already took HOG's advise and reduced the water cycles to every 6 hrs,, and adding a shot of B-1 today to help um perk back up for their pH mishap ,, hope that'll :whip: um back into shape!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Looks like cotton wool to me.....lol.
seriously though ill check that stuff out..., I also would like to check out these "Macro plugs" that HOg had a while back....like a rockwool cube, but round with a slit up the middle of it.
I have a submersible pump that I can use to make a proper aero cloner....but B&Q have changed their irrigation range, and stopped doing all the good stuff like the micrjey spayers, and mini-sprinklers(spinner thingies...therye what I was gonna use, the bastards...lol) so I will have to re-think for the Mk 2 version.....u can check out the Mk1 in my thread.....dunno how 2 do a link, but Im sure u can see it on the hydro forum.

wikidcalibudgrl

Harry Gypsna: Yeah, you're right it is kind-of cottony, but it's really light,and gives No resistance when tearing it like say a cotton ball might,thats why i think i'll do well for a medium,, Look around on this internet thing and I'm sure you'll be able to find the microjet sprayers you need too,, i know true vision hydroponics carries um..

~Wikid

wikidcalibudgrl

:wave: Highya everyone!
Just a quick update,,, the ph problem is no more and the little ones are startin to take off,, gonna do rez change today, and put the cover on my table,, a little algee started to grow near the fill/drain gonna wash that all down b4 runnin pump again. these are now about 1 month from cut date,,, but they were under minimal lights b4 i got um,, :rolleyes: , just chillin'.Tink i'll start givin um more nutes ( on 1/4 strength now,, gunna do 1/2 this time, next full) when i change the water they seem a little pale. Added B-1 yesterday to help with the pH shock i gave um. but they're growin good.More pictures soon!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Looking good there girl...(Hope u dont mind me jus calling u irl...Im far too lazy to type ur whole name out, lol) Im anxious for my clones to root...the sustem looks very sad just sitting there doing naff all. I wish I hadnt done the cloner with leca for medium...but I will know nect time eh. I giot some correx today, im gonna make a new lid for it. I mihgt ditchthe net-pots and do it how I was in the 1st place with the stems 1/2 inch in the water.
Hey HOG, if u see this...would you give me the same advice then?? About when I put my clones in...set it for every 6 hours...so 4 times a day. Cant wait, I wish these clones would hurry the fuck up, lol.

wikidcalibudgrl

:wave: highyas Harry: That's just fine to call me grl,, or Wikid either or works for me, i know who I am :biglaugh: :tongue: O O btw,, that Thermafibre,, i figured out what it reminds me of; Cottoncandy! wiffout the stickyness of course :rolleyes: anyways,, LOL I got this plastic for the top of my tbl,, it's black one side white on the other (white side said to reflect 90% of the light back up the the bottom of your plants, gonna secure it to the tbl using wooden clothes-pins (we'll see if that works) for easy access to the net pots when ness. to get to um,,,, although I have seen hard plastic covers for them, they are rather expensive so plastic sheet works for now more to come Stay tuned!!

~Wikid :friends: :joint:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Great minds think alike eh....I am gonne do the seld same thing...I went and got more B&W plastic today, Ihave oads but I likie to have plenty. Anyway, I am doing it exactly the same way using clothes pegs..lol. Makes sense, i bet hundreds of peeps have done it this way over the years!

wikidcalibudgrl

Updater

Updater

:wave: Highya everyone;

Quick update here on my grow. I got my B&W plastic over my table Finally! LOL As you can see in the pic's below I have a highly suffisticated system of securing that to the tbl :biglaugh: :wink: Hey but whatever's clever as they say! Also included a couple other pic's,, Ohh BTW,, in one pic of the meter it shows 6.3 pH ( I dropped tat down to 5.6 after the pic was takin) water temp @ 63 ( think thats ok right? ) and a ppm of 038 ( x10 so 380 ppm). Still in early veg growth. first pic is of my most vigorous plant.
I was checking out the ppm cal. fluid and i was wondering : it states this on the bottle 1500ppm(NaCl) 2190ppm(442 scale) and 2930us(microSiemens). When I calibrated the meter i used the first one because it was Pre-calibrated closest to that one.. should i be using that scale or the 442scale?? or what? Not real sure what the difference is between them :confused: . Any advise on that one is much appreciated!!

Come on ppl,,,where's my love??

~Wikid :friends: :joint: :smoweed:

Einsteinguy

Yo wikidcalibudgrl
Looks like you got a good start. From what I know Different manufacturers of PPM meters use dif scales. All meters actually measure in ECm (Electric cunductivity) and then use a formula (Scale) to get PPM. Your manufacturer decides what scale they will use. Should be able to find info on net. You are probaly right on the 1500 ppm.
IMO 63 degrees is on the low side I would rather see it around 68. Probaly is fine but I would not let it get much lower. Might want to ask others with more exp with E&F.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

Einstein :friends:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I see things are coming along for u girl.... nice one . Im pretty jealous actually, Im bloody dying to get my dual flow up and running, but Im still; waiting on the clones being ready. wont be much longer now though...im sure! Im thinking I may not bother with the black and white now as my set up isnt as big as urs...it is a narrow one, the top tray will take 21 X 13cm square pots, they just fit in exactly, so no lighgt will get through, except maybe getting into the res where the end is for you to fill it, i will cover that bit, and i think it should be OK...and if not, then I will cover it after all. Just wish these bloody clones would hurry up, lol,...

wikidcalibudgrl

highya guys, thanks for stoppin by.
Einsteinguy thanks for the input,, I'll keep a close eye on that rez temp,,, they seem to be growing fine for now.
Harry: I'd just go ahead and cover it from the get go ,, even if the plants will fill the tray,, around the Fill/Drain will be exposed and thats where a little algee started growing on my tray. I washed down my tray, changed rez, and covered it. Don't thnk it'll be an issue anymore.

~Wikid

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hiya......Im gonna do a test run tonight. and will take some more pics of the test. I got another top plabte like came with it.....I was thinking of cutting squares for the pots and putting them thru the top sheet. Would that be okay all u experienced ebb and flow'ers??? Just concerned about doing it and it not being good as the will be dangling then. The other thing I thiought of doing too was putting a thin layer of gro-rocks in the tray on the bottom before putting the pots into slightly raise them. What do u guys reckon? Anyway, I am goinbg to end my Aquafarm thread, and start a new one combining both hydro grows, and hopefully getting edumacasted by all; the experienced F&D'ers out there like Tex and HOG. Im thinking my clons will be ready soon, I fucking hope they make it, theyre starting to look rough as fuck in that cloner, man, I wish I got those plugs the other week. If these cuts in the cloner dont make it, Ill be waiting agin for another lot to be ready for it....Im pissed off about it.
Right, I'll stopmoaning now.
Cya'll l8er with pics.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Well, it looks like Im gonna be waiting longer than I thought.....I had to bin all the clones last night, every single one was damped off.
ill take some more and use these this time

Im gutted, Three weeks wasted...im pissed about it, lol.
Oh well, bugger it.