What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

foaf's nook '07 - the tree hugger again

foaf

Veteran
Bubba Kush this time.

I'm gonna try this again. It's hard to believe that its been two years since I grew pot. (a too big closet tree) . I've still got the better part of a 5 gallon pail of bud, but I really like growing, and I can't stand to let another season go by without putting my little system to work.

This year I've reduced the overhead lamp to a 400 watter, so there will be a total of 1900 watts when all the lamps are on. I think I'm gonna skip co2 this year, dont know. It adds a little effort getting the tank filled every couple of weeks and makes ventilation more complicated.

My last grow was to test the yeild limits of this space, and I succeeded :) . This year I just want a nice solid tree of bubba kush. The clone came from 420m's famous bubba mother, though indirectly. I hear I will need odor control with this plant, so I'm working on a carbon filter too.

I've got a big KOI pond bubbler in the bottom of a 12 gallon bucket. Its very cool, its like a thick rubber membrane with a zillion holes in it. The way-too-big air pump powers it into a froth.

3x4x tall space.

A 4 gallon media bucket with hyrdroton

Top feed at first then DWC KBS hybrid style

The bucket spills straight into the attached reservoir through a bulkhead fitting, Ive got all the pumps and sensors and heater and chiller feed in the reservoir.

A self priming pump on the back wall that can suck the bucket dry in no time and spit it down the drain. I'm an advocate for frequent changeouts.

1900 total watts now, 400 hps overhead and (12) 100 - 125 watt cfs, half are 6500k half are 2700k, there is about 6.5 feet from the top of the hyrdroton to the hps lens. I can go up a little more if needed.

So - keep an eye on things, they happen fast and hard in here, I hope. :)

Last edited:

Jalisco Kid

Foaf,
Good to see your still at it. I think dropping the CO2 might be a mistake. Pushing a plant like that needs all the help it can get. Suerte JK

foaf

Veteran
I suspect you are right. Ill probably put a 1000 watter in the top again too, we'll see. my desires to simplify never pan out anyway. nothing is easy. keep an eye on me JK, you've grown this particular pheno before I think.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
not particularly interesting yet, but she's growing well, and already has roots hanging out of the bottom of the media into the dwc.

Last edited:
N

NZjay

oh man... i read the first one. and now im seated for the 2nd!!

cant wait!!

:joint: joint: ...and seat!

Jalisco Kid

So hows in going? Just returned from home,had to go down and get some herb for Dec. Last year I waited too long and had to smoke op's. The most expensive was reefs lp suposedly from cabo. Local was 25/lb. Going to set up your recovery sys and just use bubble hash. I took down my BP oil, it was a big hit. My BP is a cross of mine using Bubba and my paki. If janice gave it to you tell him he still sucks dick. If you do have her you better plan on smoking alot more,as she pumps out the weight. You could beat your last grow. I find unlike others she likes 1300(conv 5) all the way through.I found out jacking her up week 4-6 slows her down. Maybe its the paki,stronger too then pre bubba.Her buds will fit in your palm like a hand gernade. thanks for putting out the info on oil making,my back loves you for it. Suerte JK

foaf

Veteran
going kinda good but not like I want. The plant is very healthy looking, good color, no signs of trouble, the trunk is getting very thick for the heigth, lots of branching going on, and there is a huge healthy white rootmass developing. but, she is growing much much slower than my last plant in this same system, and slower than a friend growing same clone, same start day with just a top drip hydroton bucket.

I think the slowness is about over and is from me putting a strata of rockwool in the bucket, because I was low on hydroton. I dont know. She has started using more nutes the past few days. Im being patient as long as she grows and looks very healthy, but its gonna take a while to veg up to my goal at this rate dammit. I did put the 1000 watter in a week or so ago.

senseless

what foafs at it again! i loved your last grow and i cant wait to see how this one turns out. one things for sure your gonna have the biggest kush tree on IC yet

how long have you veged her so far?

GOOD LUCK!

reaperz

already booked and reserved my seat, love the other tree hugger thread and im sure will love this aswell

foaf

Veteran
So she's slow. Its time to leave for the show and there's still makeup to put on, and where are my shoes, and ..... but I guess it not leaving for a date on time that counts, it's what you get at the end of the night. :joint:

she has good infrastructure, the bucket is already about full of roots, and the trunk is strong. I have a good feeling about it.

-edit 11/24- Ill update when the sites picture uploads start working again - going well, at 33 inches now, planning to flip at 44 inches or so.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
slowly going along.

here's yesterday, she is at 34" tall, Ill flip in a week or so and Im going to turn the co2 on for the stretch, this plant is very healthy in all ways but isnt gaining heigth as quickly as hashplant did in here.

edit - 2 days later (11/29) now at day 60 veg - after thinning out a whole grocery sack full of crowding, 37" and the co2 is on now.

Last edited:
G

Dewd.......Your`e there........Flip that bitch.......If she`s not tit`s high there ain`t a cow in Texas.........lol......Just like last time Foaf......everything looks clean and the plant looks healthy....Maybe she`ll catch up in the stretch?......As far as takin this long to get her to 34 inches outta the bucket.......It could be like you said about the rockwool filler makin things retain too much solution and stay too wet.....Bitch looks thick and healthy in there though dewd........I`m sure you`ll pull it off again like last grow......Great work and good luck at harvest time.......DHF..... :joint:

foaf

Veteran
about 13 days into 12/12. only 48" tall. I'm not really happy with myself for flipping sooner than I should have, definately too early. I need at least another full foot on all tops, two would be better, and I doubt Ill get it. The room can handle three feet more even. Giving it everything I've got, maxing out with veg nutes, CO2 turned all the way up, foliar feeding with this supposedly super stuff. I need her to grow something crazy these next 2 weeks before I shift into full flower. I think Im even going to go 13/11 for a while to try and stretch out the stretch some.

I've never used this stuff before, I hope it gets me some heigth by spraying the tops.

foaf

Veteran
I'm fully in flower now, 3 weeks. Flora Nova Bloom about 1500ppm, and Cal Mag plus, Hydroguard, DM foliar feedings, and CO2 (1000), thats all. 53" tall now filling in the side scrog agressively. Its looking real good in there.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
Moving along, slowly but surely, looking pretty good in there to me - 30 days, 57" at the 3 peaks, most other tops about 53", filling in well. I didnt prune as much on the "dark side" of the plant this time. I'm sure Ill get better yeilds from the sides with the addition of the screens, the sides are looking good. I do trim selectively around the side scrogs and some on top to help penetration.