What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Stones Vs. Circ Pump

YoungBreeder

in the area of Reservoir maintenence are air stones obsolete is oxygen over saturation a real thing?
have circulations pumps proven to be better or does its effect on water temps still make them a less preferred method

Why or why not

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I find a fresh tank daily is preferable to an older maintained one. Constant aeration leading to undesirable pH shifts. I won't be without a circulation pump but size them really quite small. As an example, I have a 10L tank using a 3w pump. The tank can easily dissipate 3w. It actually serves me by getting the tap water up to the tanks surrounding temperature as it mixes overnight

RockinRobot

Only time you need high oxygen volume is with DWC. I stopped using any type of aeration in my flood and drain reservoirs.

To answer your question though water pumps will significantly raise your reservoir temps. You can actually help cool your reservoir though using air as long as the air comes from a cooler area.

alpo

Do I need anything for my drip to waste bucket? It will be 10 gallons of water. I was planning on using a venturi pump but I guess I shouldn't ?

RockinRobot

Do I need anything for my drip to waste bucket? It will be 10 gallons of water. I was planning on using a venturi pump but I guess I shouldn't ?

It depends on how long it takes you to use up your 10 Gallons. You need some type of circulation to keep the water from going stagnant but you don't need the high oxygen levels needed for DWC.

alpo

It depends on how long it takes you to use up your 10 Gallons. You need some type of circulation to keep the water from going stagnant but you don't need the high oxygen levels needed for DWC.

the water pump I chose for circulation has the option to make it a regular pump or a venturi option so no air stones or anything like that. is that too much oxygen or just unnecessary? thanks