What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ppk setup help

FCDobbs

honestly I run the pump from transplant to harvest 24/7. It is on a timer. every 90 minutes it runs 30 seconds. the nutes then drain immediately back to the res.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
honestly I run the pump from transplant to harvest 24/7. It is on a timer. every 90 minutes it runs 30 seconds. the nutes then drain immediately back to the res.

"honestly"? Never gave it thought you weren't... I'm learning the coco routine from you and this thread. Thanks.

FCDobbs

Snook dont try and learn anything from this thread. I have no idea what I am doing. Post a few pics here and there and hope for some input. I have read a ton of Delta9 stuff but cant absorb it all. I completely buggered the scrog process up.Thanks for coming around once and a while. Here are a couple a pics. 5 weeks into flower on a 110 day flower.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_151140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	17819206 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_151333.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	17819207 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_151316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	17819208 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_151151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	17819209 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_151316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	17819208

FCDobbs

A couple of new pics. The whole scrog canopy thing didnt really work out as I waited too long to start shaping and I waited too long to trim. Not a problem though as I will be happy to get whatever I get.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210403_123504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	17823176 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210403_123557.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	17823173 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210403_123516.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	17823174 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210403_123551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	17823175

Attachments

• 20210403_123504.jpg
    20210403_123504.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210403_123504.jpg
    20210403_123504.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 44

FCDobbs

A quick update. Last week she went without water for 3 days due to power loss and the timer not being set for restart on power on. I definitely got dry. Sadly it will affect outcome. Oh well. Here are a couple a pics 20210506_055505.jpg 20210506_055518.jpg 20180517 101705 1 (1)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
A quick update. Last week she went without water for 3 days due to power loss and the timer not being set for restart on power on. I definitely got dry. Sadly it will affect outcome. Oh well. Here are a couple a pics

These things, unfortunately, happen in PPK world... We can get so complacent with the automation carrying the load that one can easily loose focus.. Will it affect your yield? Probably but they still look pretty good. The wicking up of nutes from the lower rez kept your girls going instead of getting nada, albeit less. So what are you going to do in the future????
GET RID OF THAT TIMER!! get a mechanical one.. and battery backup for the pump timer..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I am just interested in canopy penetration. I have a 400cmh but wanted to try this. There is no way to justify it.....

High Dobbs. Above is your 15th post in this thread (good thread, even though you dont think so, you help). You were looking for light penetration: good. But in the last pick of your post 45, light penetration thoughts seems to have escaped you. Light penetration to the growth between the first and second screen can only be reflected light and most of that will just produce popcorn buddage and a PITA to trim (it does make good budder though). Clearing out that stuff earlier, not now, would transfer growth to the branches above and bigger colas.
Overall Dobbs.. it looks like success.

FCDobbs

Snook thx for your feedback on light penetration. You are absolutely right. This was my first attempt at ppk. it was also my first scrog. I waited way too long to begin trimming her and was unsure as to how to go about it. Unfortunately the ship of fools has run aground. A couple of weeks ago there was a momentary power interruption to the shed and the nute timer was not set to restart on power restoration. Because of my work schedule I did not notice for 3-4 days. While the plant did not die the upper leaves did dry out from the light and the plant overall has taken a big hit. I put clean water in the tank today in hopes of some kind of flush. In the future I will continue with ppk. I will start trimming earlier and more aggressive. With respect to the timer it worked per the programing I did. It was my mistake.
here are some pics
20210515_081111.jpg 20210515_081033.jpg 20210515_081141.jpg 20210515_081100.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Unusual timer. I wouldn't of expected that. You are lucky to still have what you do. Though you are probably not feeling lucky at all. They still look promising.

Do you have a fix for your timer problem? My power should be good here but still get quite a few interruptions. You might like a UPS. It's like an extension lead with battery backup. You wouldn't want a 1000w HID running on a cheaper UPS but could run just a couple of GLS lamps from the UPS and use it to control a contactor box that runs the 1000w from the wall. Thus you loose the 1000 but keep running on a couple of 14w LED GLS/SIL lamps. So your light schedule isn't interupted.

A used UPS might cost $50 with a new battery. Offering about 100W for half an hour. More specifically, that would be a 300w UPS designed to give you 10 minutes to shut down any computers attached to it. 300w is a typical starter unit. You can get 1000s but may see no value from that. A 1000w lamp trying to strike would need a huge UPS, that's not viable.

FCDobbs

Unusual timer. I wouldn't of expected that. You are lucky to still have what you do. Though you are probably not feeling lucky at all. They still look promising.

Do you have a fix for your timer problem? My power should be good here but still get quite a few interruptions. You might like a UPS. It's like an extension lead with battery backup. You wouldn't want a 1000w HID running on a cheaper UPS but could run just a couple of GLS lamps from the UPS and use it to control a contactor box that runs the 1000w from the wall. Thus you loose the 1000 but keep running on a couple of 14w LED GLS/SIL lamps. So your light schedule isn't interupted.

A used UPS might cost $50 with a new battery. Offering about 100W for half an hour. More specifically, that would be a 300w UPS designed to give you 10 minutes to shut down any computers attached to it. 300w is a typical starter unit. You can get 1000s but may see no value from that. A 1000w lamp trying to strike would need a huge UPS, that's not viable.

The timer issue was me. I can be set to start countdown on power up. I had it set to start countdown on press of button. The power outage only lasted as far as i can tell for about a min. There would have been no interruption had I programed it right. these are very reliable timers and I will still use it.

saitama

Sorry to hear about the power loss, but it looks like things are still going well! I've recently gotten back into PPK research as these days I'm more handy with tools and building things. I have some questions since it seems like you have the build portion of the PPK system down and I've been combing through threads but they're all pretty old and I have yet to find a writeup on the 'current' state of PPK.

- How long is the 3" wick pipe? 6"?
- What is your air gap set to? 4"?

Thanks!

FCDobbs

Sorry to hear about the power loss, but it looks like things are still going well! I've recently gotten back into PPK research as these days I'm more handy with tools and building things. I have some questions since it seems like you have the build portion of the PPK system down and I've been combing through threads but they're all pretty old and I have yet to find a writeup on the 'current' state of PPK.

- How long is the 3" wick pipe? 6"?
- What is your air gap set to? 4"?

Thanks!

Saitama
Air gap is 4"
Ill have to check the wick pipe length. im pretty sure it is longer than 6". Its 2" shorter than the tub its in.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Saitama
Air gap is 4"
Ill have to check the wick pipe length. im pretty sure it is longer than 6". Its 2" shorter than the tub its in.

If you are hoping for that ppk rez to become a 'back up' water source in the case of power or pump failure that wick pipe should be very close to the bottom of the rez.
I've also moved my gap to 4.5" and pump (1200gmp) 6 seconds every 1.5 to 2 hours.

FCDobbs

Just a quick wrap up. at the end of the day I got 471g. I wasnt looking for anything special. the 1000w light was def overkill. I definitely need to learn how to do a proper scrog. will be starting a quicker grow just to learn the scrog.
20210620_072417.jpg

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Just a quick wrap up. at the end of the day I got 471g. I wasnt looking for anything special. the 1000w light was def overkill. I definitely need to learn how to do a proper scrog. will be starting a quicker grow just to learn the scrog.

1 lb aint bad...:good: