What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GIRL's GOT SKILLS

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
Windy i have spent somewhere right around 3.5k for everything that i currently have not counting Media and Nutes, 2k on the new equipment (Light, fan, filter, mag drive pumps x 2, wall fans x 2 x 12 inch, Titan recirculating timers) and so on, Really it's an investment in my future. Im living every true potheads DREAM! I have a BAD ASS Mentor! some decent equipment and top notch straight up fire genetics to play and learn with! And a bunch of friends here on the MAG helping me and pulling for me. Im just so proud to be a member of this digital comunity

I all ready know you get that back first run.
Every time I'm talking with my inner circle I feel like class has started and I'm a student for real.
There's a few people on here I try and pick there brain all the time.
There's been a few times I had to text my buddy on here for info

I will be popping in and out on the thread I'm over at the dark side most of the time.,but.im loving the show all ready have a happy new year and I will pm you next year cheers :biggrin:.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Lucky you! I just upgraded my setup and wanted some DE's but I'm working with 8' ceilings :shucks:

Yea that extra foot is the only reason I wanted the extra power of the DE bulbs I went with the Gavita because they create no magnetic interference. I have other electronics in my shop that lights interfere with, every grow with Gravitas and 8 foot ceilings I have read about the people only needed another foot for there light. So I thought why not....

Aspenou812

Veteran
So let's get some opinions on this yellowing that I have going on please ladies and gentlemen.....��... So I noticed it and it has been progressing over the last 10 hours, I had to work today.... I think the light is pushing them and there hungry. I'm at .7 ec and 5.8 pH it may also be the light intensity what do y'all think? i bumped it (the light) up to 750 w last night .

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
So let's get some opinions on this yellowing that I have going on please ladies and gentlemen.....��... So I noticed it and it has been progressing over the last 10 hours, I had to work today.... I think the light is pushing them and there hungry. I'm at .7 ec and 5.8 pH it may also be the light intensity what do y'all think? i bumped it (the light) up to 750 w last night .
it could be mag, gg4 is a mag whore, try a little Epsom salt

Aspenou812

Veteran
Thank you JW I add one tsp of Epsom to my feeds already... May be I'll make up a folier and spray it on, I'll mix the next solution with more Epsome

SuperWeed

Better to focus on quality over quantity

This is a fundamental misunderstanding among growers of cannabis.

If the genetics have the genomic possibility of expressing a trait, such as heavy yield, high thc content, or purple flowers, all we have to do as growers is replicate whatever external condition nature would provide to allow the plant to express that trait.

Easy example, cold temperatures = more colorful flowers. Yes, and lower temperatures decrease yield. So a wise grower would wait until a few days before harvest and then lower the temps. There is no need to lose yield, in order to color our world.

We have to do our jobs, and the rest is up to the plant.

Quality is quantity, in many strains. Yield does not detract from potency, unless the yield was artificially inflated using a PGR like Paclobutrazol.

Aspenou812, looking good. I'm pulling up a seat.

Aspenou812

Veteran
This is a fundamental misunderstanding among growers of cannabis.

If the genetics have the genomic possibility of expressing a trait, such as heavy yield, high thc content, or purple flowers, all we have to do as growers is replicate whatever external condition nature would provide to allow the plant to express that trait.

Easy example, cold temperatures = more colorful flowers. Yes, and lower temperatures decrease yield. So a wise grower would wait until a few days before harvest and then lower the temps. There is no need to lose yield, in order to color our world.

We have to do our jobs, and the rest is up to the plant.

Quality is quantity, in many strains. Yield does not detract from potency, unless the yield was artificially inflated using a PGR like Paclobutrazol.

Aspenou812, looking good. I'm pulling up a seat.

Thank you for that excellent post. Yes if we do our jobs as growers the plants in our care will flourish, and reach their genetic potential. After all that's what we are all here chasing, copious amounts of high quality buds right..... People are always believing In the hype on a bottle when in reality if they have good genetics they'll have good weed.:)

Last edited:

SuperWeed

Thank you for that excellent post. Yes if we do our jobs as growers the plants in our care will flourish, and reach their genetic potential. After all that's what we are all here chasing, copious amounts of high quality buds right..... People are always believing In the hype on a bottle when in reality if they have good genetics they'll have good weed.:)

It's easy to believe in hype, when you don't know how to control the variables.

Last edited:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
instead of adding anymore epsom right now , bump the feeds to 1.0 . the plants are big enough to take it & the extra light is makin them ask for it .

Aspenou812

Veteran
Im mixing it up now, i had a feeling that's what it was, they were fine before i bumped the light to 750w, there hungry..... good sign i'm thinking...

Aspenou812

Veteran
24/7 lights on root growth

24/7 lights on root growth

So i must be doing something right, there are little root tips sticking out all over the place, only about 10 for the moment, these GG4 clones were planted early morning on DEC 26 so not a week under the light and we have this.....

Update: I mixed 5 gallons again 10 mil V+H Booster, 1 TSP Epsom, then added the MAXI till i hit 1.0 EC then adjusted PH in the solution to 5.8
I used 4 gallons of that solution to feed the plants so i added 1/2 gallon of ro and mixed the recharge in till i hit 1.0 EC adjusted ph to 5.8 and fed 250 MIl each plant, to keep the roots happy and shooting

onavelzy

Veteran
Gz on the rootage Aspen. i only have the perspective of your pics, but looking at the recent post and then comparing to the ones when you planted, it look like the 4's have grown more than the moms, in the vertical dimension at least.

You mentioned wanting to have this thread be an educational one. As a someone setting up a first grow, I have a lot of questions. Many of them are so basic that anyone who grows would probably giggle a little internally at their naivete but, some stuff i just haven't learned yet. I'm going to pm you if that's ok. If you get the time, any advice would be great.

Have a great new year and bring down some kilos.

onavelzy

Veteran
Ok, here they are. and my apologies for violating the internet rule of brevity is next to godliness:

<<I recently got approval to try growing from the CEO.

my first plan will involve using a room in the house. given that, i'm anticipating using a tent or two rather than a built out room. I sometimes have extended work shifts so i'm hoping to achieve as much automation of feeding, environmental factors, lighting as I can

Anyway, there's an aspect of watering set up that i don't yet understand, the first mile so to speak. i understand using a reservoir to draw from to feed the plants, either manually like in your picture or by an automated drip system. What i don't get is how you get the water to that reservoir. Do you have a line plumbed from a nearby water pipe to the reservoir or to your R/O? Or do you run a hose and manually fill it?

i also don't yet understand how to best use a feeding reservoir (i am reading the various coco threads like hundred ounce's). if you mix up a batch of nutes and then feed, do you fully use that batch? If not, do you discard unused portion and start new for the next feed? Or do you refill with water into any residual nute mixture? If it's the latter, i don't get how you can ensure the same concentrations as when you start from scratch.

other curiosity kind of questions from reading what you're doing:

why air pots instead of smart pots or similar fabric containers.

Right now, you said you're hand feeding. I'm assuming you are manually suctioning the drain tray the pots are sitting in. If so, when you later go to automated feeds, do you have an automatic suction of the tray synced to your feeding times?

I have 8 foot ceilings. i'm pretty sure I can't use the gorilla grow tent one foot extensions to get a tent height of 7' 11" so I may have to get their lite model that is 7' 6" with an extension. i'm just not sure what to go with for a light system. the gavita de's seem to be the gold standard but i don't see how they could work with that low of a ceiling. Any recommendations?

ok, time to rein myself in a bit or i'll end up filling two or three pages.

If you made it this far, thank you. if you can educate me on any of these points, it would be reassuring since you clearly have experience and smarts.>>

If I can, I want to add a couple of other questions:

since I'm going to be growing indoors at home. I'm trying to focus on safety systems first. For the folks here doing similar small grows (between 4x4 and 5x9), what kind of fire warning and suppression systems do you use, if any?

Also, my place is suburban enough that we always have rodent traps out in the garage. Those little rascals are one reason why that is not my first choice for my growing area. do you ever have rodent problems in your grow areas? If so, what do you do to prevent damage?

Last edited:

Aspenou812

Veteran
(I have a fully automated irrigation system set up i just haven't installed it yet, full automation for me is just around the corner.)

(You can plumb in your filter with a float valve directly to your res, but my sink and ro machine is across the room from my grow. So i keep 6 five gallons buckets full of ro at all times, Food grade buckets and food grade gamma seal lids.)

( My Res is twenty gallons at the moment, for now i'm hand watering and not using the irrigation system so it's not in use till my roots develop. I will fill my res with RO water Then add nutrients till i hit the desired ec level. I use a HM digital EC Meter to determine the strength of my solution, then i'll check the PH with the HM DIGITAL PH meter. once it's all set and ready to feed use the same meters to keep the ph where you need it until you use it all up, then if it needs a wash wash it out and refill, if not dirty simply add ro to the leftovers in the res and adjust the Nutrient and ph with the meters and keep on rocking.)

(In my opinion the air pots are much cleaner last forever and perform better, they never need to see the inside of of my washing machine and i have never seen mold growing on the side of an airpot in the middle of a grow.) Mold freaks me the fuck out.

(No i forgot to upload these pictures during the grow, but i use a condensate pump beneath my tray to remove water through the wall into a bucket i dump on my plants outside)

(in a tent i would go with a Gavita 750 or a single ended air cooled hood with a digital ballast 1000w)

Good luck and if i can further help you feel free to ask........

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Thank you! I appreciate the help. I'll add rep as soon as the site lets me. For now, 5 star vote. Take care, Ona