What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hooked On Ponics

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Welcome to Hooked On Ponics

This thread is to feature a hydroponic technique that I've been doing for years now. I've not come across or seen any pictures of any one else doing this yet, so it's time for a little show and tell.

I'm not sure where I would rate this technique on difficulty level(scale).

How do you plant your seeds? There are many ways and many kinds of starter cubes out there today on the market.

I'm going to show you all another way. There will be several techniques that I will show you all in the duration of this thread. I'll be starting with seeds and we will fallow their development.

This is where it starts, with the sprout.

picture.php

These pictures are from 1-19-16

picture.php

Day 3 (3.5) a few more of the seedlings have been added

picture.php

Day 5

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
On 1-27-16 I moved the first round of seeds to another room under a 1k sodium bulb

Day 8

picture.php

1-28-16

Day 9

picture.php

Day 11

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I changed out the Sodium buld and put in a MH bulb some time last week.

These pictures are from the say day, just before and after trimming

Day 19 for the plants that where moved to the large aero unit, and day 10 for the 2nd group of seeds

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
There is a 3rd group/batch of seeds that where started (started germinating) on the 2nd or 3rd day after the 2nd batch of seeds had been in the aero units.

I lost track of how many days old the are, but they are about 7-10 days behind the 2nd batch.

picture.php

One thing I love you do, is allowing the seedling to 'throw' the seed and membrane prior to sticking it...I have always did it that way....agree on MANY WAY to start your babies and your nursery is as good as any....one observation is up until about your 10 days, they are not liking that 1k...just a little too young to benefit from that much light...soon as some bigger leaf sets are there, they recover nice and can process the 1k.....But I can almost hear them crying in the pics up to day 9...Have u tried something a little less intense on them that first 10 days? Maybe it would result in a healthier start and momentum for when they are ready for the 1k....a little more complex of a set up than I put into my seedlings but it is indeed an effective approach...YT

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
These next two pictures are from several years ago, from some of my last seed runs. The first one is two weeks after sprouting, and the 2nd one is 11 days after sprouting. I have found that if you don't "top/pinch" the tap root you end up with more of a stem sized mass which makes it harder to transplant later on due to the "stem" not being as flexible as roots.

picture.php

picture.php

This is the best example I have of the seeds sprouting and by leaving them longer they shed the seed shell and embryonic sack. These pictures are of the plants from the first two pictures in this post. Reminds me of bean sprouts.

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
one observation is up until about your 10 days, they are not liking that 1k...just a little too young to benefit from that much light...soon as some bigger leaf sets are there, they recover nice and can process the 1k.....But I can almost hear them crying in the pics up to day 9...Have u tried something a little less intense on them that first 10 days? Maybe it would result in a healthier start and momentum for when they are ready for the 1k

They where started under a 400w MH and then moved on like day 8 under the 1k. I've started many more underneath a 1k on many occasions and have not noticed any negative effect on them.

BOOMHAUER

Just one question. How strong of nutrient do you use if any? If not when do you start?
I have thought to do this but was afraid to do it with seeds I buy. I have some seeds on the way and I might give it a shot. I used to just sprout the seeds for a week in dirt then clean the soil off and then into my cloner. Lost a couple of days to shock but never lost one. What is your success rate?
Thanks for the knowledge.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I don't wait to start feeding them. I start the nutrients at half strength. I haven't yet tried upping it yet from there to find the max strength.

From time to time I'll lose one or two out of a group of seeds.

Sprouting the seeds in a container of dirt or other type of potting medium like you mentioned is an other way a person could use to get the seeds all sprouted out too.

Latest posts

Latest posts