What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Russian Tree

foaf

Veteran
Serious Seeds Fem White Russian

A good bit more vegging to go. I'm growing it from the back corner towards me this time.

Flora Nova Nutes
12 gal bucket with hyrdoton
RDWC sort of. fills from the bottom and spills from the top.
Big bubbler in bottom

1000 hps overhead and the sidelighting LEDs. The round ones are supposed to be 110 watts but only draw 37, and the square ones are supposed to be 240 watts but draw like 140 watts.

gettogro

Veteran
Nice, I loved ur other tree grows, anything over 2 lbs is quite the accomplishment. Its awesome to se such an optomized small space.. Tagged for sure :)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems like you should be growing in a trash can, otherwise you will get root-bound by the time she's ~ 3ft

foaf

Veteran
Why would you think that? It's a 12 gallon bucket with seperate reservoir. Big KBS trees have always been grown in nested 5 gallon buckets and ive never had a problem with that issue in the past. Not my first tree in this size bucket.

mudvaynefan

I enjoyed your other grows, the cage of flouros you built around that giant tree was fun to watch.

I cant wait to see how this turns out.

subscribed.

Crowmax

Veteran
Nice setup you got there. The white russian is also looking very nice and healthy, looks like a giant sphere in the last photo :D

cheers

foaf

Veteran
Hope that's just cabling..
Yes, it's kind of a mess, but I've tidied it up some. They are outdoor properly rated plugs/extensions, all are on both arcfault circuit breakers and groundfault plugs, it's on cement that drains well if there was a leak, and I've got an automatic fireextinguisher thing over the grow.

Probably going to flip in a week or so, growth rate has accellerated significantly this week. I've had to defoliate to some degree, I'm not exactly doing as the defol thread suggests, but I've always intermittently removed many of the big fan leaves.

I'm adding 4 x 100 watt big cfls vertically arranged at the point where Im standing to take the picture. So it ends up with 180 light coverage from sidelighting.

foaf

Veteran
So I wanted to add some more light around the perimeter. I would have bought more LEDs but I'm super pissed that so many of the LEDs (mine) are sold as higher wattage than they really are, (see big thread in lighting section), and the rest cost too much or have some strange connections needed to buy them (E-shine), so for now I dumped about $100 into 4 x 105 watt cfls 5000k and 2700k bulbs to finish the perimeter.

I'm stapling up cheap white AC filters on the places where the plant is up agains the poly sheeting. In the past Ive had some but rot or leaf rot where they lay against it and I hope this provides some airflow.

mudvaynefan

I wonder, if you cut a square out of the poly, behind the plant, and attach screen material, if it would block light as you need, but allow for more air flow.

Ive noticed my fan leaves against the poly leave moisture when pushed against for a day or 2.

Grow looks great, your stem is as big in veg, as my outdoor og kush was at harvest last year.

You have my attention.

oldbootz

Veteran
white russian was one of the all time best yielding plants i've grown, quality taste and high too - such a rare combination.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
ffof,

I have to say i can name atleast two people that have been inspired enough by your previous grows to attempt similar setups. Thank you for sharing your grow adventures with the rest of us.

I am hoping you can share some more info on your bucket system.
Are the roots completely housed in the hydroton or are they partially submerged in water? Is the water flow continuos or is it on a timer?
Are you using a chiller for this system?

foaf

Veteran
thanks for checking in. I flipped to 12/12 yesterday.

is that growing in a tent?
no, it is a partition in a storeroom that is kind of behind a fake wall. the full space is 3.5 x 10 feet, and 3.5 x 4 is wrapped in white poly for growing, the equipment and other stuff in the rest of the space.

I am hoping you can share some more info on your bucket system.
I'm playing around with this, so far so good. It's a 12 gallon bucket with a drain at the bottom. I fill it with hydroton, there is a "big bubba" stone at the bottom and a 50 lpm air pump. It recirculated all of the time, except when I frequently drain the nutes, and then I let it dry out for about 8 hours. I pump the nutes from a 5 gallon bucket with the pumps and the ph meter and ppm meter through a chiller and into the bottom of the big grow bucket. It fills and then spills out of the top/side hose. It's set up so in a power failure, its just a bucket full of hydroton and nutes. I have an automated pool/spa drain valve so that the whole system dumps and refills at set intervals. Using a relatively small total nute volume on a relatively big plant, its still pretty economical to dump the 10 or so gallons of nute solution about every 5 days.

Latest posts

Latest posts