What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UC6XL 2K Horizontal 1.2K Vert Hybrid Garden

opt1c

Veteran
Running a UC6XL with some really slow vegging low yielding plants. Figured i'd try to grow trees but i wanted to get the tops and bottoms of the plants lit. Decided to go with 2 600s vertically to keep the bottom of the canopy lit and then 2 1ks on top to create another sog canopy of buds going up to the ceiling.

Running Dutch Master Gold nutes with add.27, zone, and silica.

I vegged em in single buckets with quad tops and then transferred em to the system; they've been veggin for a 3 weeks or so at this point. I was waiting to get the tomato cages so i topped em pretty radically to keep the size down; i'm just pulling this last run out before i move and it's more for fun than anything else.

And this is 4 days later

:joint:

On the list of things to do is install a magnum xxl on one end; get another fan for one of the vert bulbs; and when draining the system to switch to flower try and kick the centers out to a larger size

opt1c

Veteran
fwiw i'd go all vert but i lack the cooling and space to hang em to the sides... i got more vertical room than horizontal or lateral if you look at the vid; basically the room is the same but with different stuff in the tents so i'm locked into a roughly 3.5x6 footprint

i'm really hoping i'll be able to kick out the centers to the larger width; should b interesting; i got the manifold it'll just be the removal of the old one via uniseals that'll make it crazy; i don't think i'll damage the plants too much as they'll be chained together and wrapped with tomato cages; just hoping i can pop the uniseals with a lil windex on the outside and elbow grease; don't think i'll be able to lift the lids in any way shape or form

regardless it'll be fun to see how the lower canopy develops; think of a jungle canopy with its layers and then dropping a sun in the middle of it and u can get where i'm hoping to go with this grow

didn't expect to run em as big as i am but when a slow vegger turns into a monster i have only the under current to blame; rdwc forthemotherfuckinwin yo!

mikeross

Be careful with those vertical bulbs. Those plants seem very close. You do realize that if those branch out within 6" of the vertical light(which they look like that in those pics) its blocking all the penetration?

I would suggest taking a peak at the high defoliating tread. I think it would do wonders in your system. Keep your plants tighter and just pack on weight all over the plant. Just my opinion of course.

With the overhead lighting I really like the fact you dropped those vertical bulbs a little lower than needed... tops are taken care of with the overhead but those bottom of the plant bubs will probably be just as big as your tops.

Is this your first run with the current setup?

Looks really cool and some good thought put into it... will be watching.:tiphat:

bobblehead

Veteran
I agree with mikeross. To makes those vertical lamps more effective, you should take out some of the fans from the middle. I defoliate throughout veg/flowering, and I am very happy with the results.

BigGreen

Veteran
Hmmmmm I feel like I have seen this be for.
Nice grow curious to see how this turns out. Kinda wicked looking
BG

opt1c

Veteran
a lil update... got switched to flower; everything above i talked about wanting to do before i flipped em i did... dutch master nutes in the mix, some magnum xxls on top, and went to a larger center between the buckets for the verts

mikeross

Looks much better bro... you planning on doing any leaf plucks at day 21 after the stretch and possible a follow up before the last 2 weeks. Doing these plucks not only will allow so much light penetration but keep those side branches from overgrowing their space. If you were thinking about it read that defoliation thread... tons of good info. I really feel its a must with big bushy plants like yours.

Do you have any issues with the fan blowing directly on those girls?

Those magnums are sick looking reflectors. Gonna crab me one for my veg room.

again setup looks very nice... install was clean too. Your not running co2 right?

opt1c

Veteran
Some updates...

Some updates...

So no co2 this run; exhausting hot air via a second portable ac so no point running co2... added an extra carbon filter to make sure no smell escapes

Did a little leaf plucking as well but we'll get to that later.

So clones were started in veg back on July 25th.

Abused and transplanted on the 8th of September when the room was finally open again.

Here they are on the 12th of October 10 days into flower...

Then 10 days later after this...

We have this at day 20 of flower...

:joint:

phattybudz

Looking sick opt1c...

I'm a little confused and maybe need to some research, but how exactly is UC different from RDWC? Is it just that all the buckets are interconnected?

opt1c

Veteran
it is a rDWC system u buy that comes prefab'd... no need to spend all the time doing it yourself unless you want to and fwiw you can't buy the buckets in blue and the lids are all custom; if u look up earlier in the thread u can see the 4 site lids

D

DHF

Not sure how I missed this 1 Bro....

Not sure how I missed this 1 Bro....

Hey Optic.......Is stretch over at 34 days ?.....Sure hope so......Just wonderin how tall the plants are now with the 1000 watters above with the two 600`s underneath between and betwixt......

Gonna ask yas ta change somethin for the benefit of your plants and bottom line yields with no disrespect intended.......Look at the pic with the 600 hangin and see the yellowing off and droopy smaller leaves along with some leaves closin up.........

You`ve got the small muffin fans blowin the heat from the bare bulbs straight up and away from the plants , but you don`t realize you`re affecting nutrient uptake and transpiration by dehydrating the plants from fans blowing directly on em cuz they`re too close to the fans........

Even your oscillating wall fan above is pointed dead at the plants.......So much info`s been lost over the yrs with major weedsite`s dyin.......

Put an oscillating fan on the floor beneath your plants , and then put 1 on the opposite wall "above" your plants to create a vortex of moving air , but never ON the plants cuz it makes em sweat/transpire faster and fucks with nutrient uptake once no more roots are bein built and they`re suckin juice for swellage...........

You`ve got the concept right with the fans beneath bare bulbs , but the plants are way too close together not to suffer from the heat and moving air which will most certainly affect your bottom line...........

Just tryinta help Bro.....DHF.......:ying:......

highonmt

Veteran
DHF, thats good advice that's what I learned years ago form a partner and it is still applicable. I'm firing up a 50 site high flow dwc system next month with vertical 600's on movers between the rows. Whats the optimum distance from the bulb/ convection fan in your opinion?

opt1c

Veteran
thx for the advice dhf... fwiw the space is so tight there is nowhere else to mount the fan... there are actually two fans going sideways from one side; another going from the opposite side... the whole room is a big vortex... i had to had the extra fans as the muffin fans weren't giving any air movement on the left side of the canopy which was causing things to get too hot.... with the 2 600s in the mix i had to add a 2nd ac to the room as well... plants suffer from heat a lot more if the air isn't moving and it can get way too hot even in the dead of night in the middle of winter... there are about 3.2kw in a 3.5x6ft space; not even 4x8

far as the yellow growth on the bottom goes those plants on the left side of the pic are so packed in that i can't even reach back to prune em out or clean em up.... yeah a lot of plants are too close to the light but compared to the light not being there i'll take the light anyday of the week

also with a canopy as dense as the one i've got going massive air-movement is paramount in fighting off rot and humidity

in the future i'll try moving the fans a bit in my new garden but i like to use 100% of the space i have available or as close as possible; haven't noticed it hurting my yields... extra lights always have equalled extra weight so it'll be interesting to see how these plants turn out

opt1c

Veteran
oh yeah forgot to mention but the plants keep swallowing the vertical bulbs; the top canopy will close over em time and time again... i'm amazed at how close these plants like getting to 600s