What's new

Powdery Mildew - early stage

44:86N

I don't think that's mildew.

Looks like a pH nutritional lock-out issue, or under-feeding deficiency. Sometimes dialing in the nutrition on young plants can be challenging.

Jookie

I don't think that's mildew.

Looks like a pH nutritional lock-out issue, or under-feeding deficiency. Sometimes dialing in the nutrition on young plants can be challenging.

That's good news if true. Would you recommend flushing the plants with pH-5.8 soft water? Willing to give anything a shot

But will definitely start lowering the EC-value. Better to underfeed than overfeed. But god damn I feel stupid if that's the issue

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
That's good news if true. Would you recommend flushing the plants with pH-5.8 soft water? Willing to give anything a shot

But will definitely start lowering the EC-value. Better to underfeed than overfeed. But god damn I feel stupid if that's the issue

I wouldn't recommend doing anything to treat it for ph issues unless you have identified that the ph is actually out of the proper range. To me it looks like there is a deficiency in one of the micronutrients. Unfortunately there are several micronutrient deficiencies that can cause pale areas to develop on new/young leaves The potential culprits are: Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Sulfur, Boron or Cooper. Of these the most likely candidates are Iron and Zinc because deficiencies in either of these cause pale or grayish areas to show up in young leaves and what I see in those pics could be described as pale or grayish areas. All the others I mentioned tend to show up as yellowing areas in young leaves and none of those spots looked yellowish to me. Now since you are growing hydro style you are likely using a two part fertilizer with one part being for the veg phase and the other being for the flowering stage. Since your plants are just starting out you should be only using the part for the veg stage. So look on the label for that and see if the micronutrients I mentioned are included. Often times these two part formulas focus mainly on the macronutrients and might either have too little or even no micronutrients. If that's the case there is usually a third product that supplements all of the micronutrients, I would look for that and add some of that to the water feeding your roots. Since the plants are so young you might even want to cut the amount the label suggests in half just to make sure you don't give them too much. I wouldn't bother looking for supplements that add just one particular micronutrient because I don't thing such products exist although I could be wrong since I've never grown hydro style so I've never looked closely at hydro based products.

Now because they're so young it's possible you're not even feeding them any fertilizer just yet. Most micronutrients are present in tap water, well water or rain water but are not present in distill water, RO Water or Filtered water. Unfortunately if this is the case, that they're just getting water at the moment it's harder to know what micronutrient might be deficient without getting an analysis done of the water from whatever source you are using. So in that case the solution would be to start adding your veg formula if it contains all the micronutrients or if you don't want to add veg ferts yet then just go with something that adds the micronutrients only although there is no reason I can think of to be withholding food at this point so if your veg formula has micronutrients then just add some of that.

As far as ph if your ph is at 5.8 that's supposed to be the sweet spot for hydro so it doesn't seem likely to be a ph issue if you've always been at 5.8.

44:86N

Seedlings can be obnoxious little shits sometimes, though they do have a will to survive, unless you outright kill them.

They are like newborns for the first month, and get much easier after that 4th week from germinating. I will be potting up some 2-week olds in a day or so, and am looking forward to how they will be doing 2 weeks after that (peat based mix).

Mine are looking a little hungry, but I am just now starting to lightly feed them.

Your plants will most likely be fine once they put some roots out, just follow HempKat's advise in the above post, and double read your labels, maybe look at a feeding schedule for hydro grows.

Could the white be the milk you sprayed?

Jookie

Never before in my life have I seen such a supportive online community as in here. We really appreciate all the help🤠

We're using Biobizz Heaven and GHE Terra Aquatica Tri-part formula. I gave them ~0.5mL of FloraBloom, FloraMicro and FloraGro with 0.5mL of Biobizz Heaven (usable for Hydro) pr. Liter.
The EC was around 1.6, which is too high after reading the comments in here. I flushed the medium yesterday with pH.5.8 Water and will check the drainage soon. When the medium is a bit drier, they will get 0.2mL of FloraBloom, FloraMicro and FloraGro with 0.3mL of Biobizz Heaven pr. Liter. The EC for this mix will be ~0.8-1.0, which seems much more reasonable. The recommended dose pr. label is 1mL of each for 'first-root'-phase in Hydro according to GHE. But that's the maximum dose, right?

The water is softwater with an EC of 0.4-0.6 (0.4 at 8 celsius, 0.6 at 20 celsius). But will maybe use RO-water, since the Tripart has added cal/mag to the mix.

The "mold" doesn't seem to be spreading. So either the milk is working or it wasn't mold at all - just lock-out, deficiency as some are mentioning. Praying the dear Mary Jane for her blessing to safe me from my error; the raw milk doesn't seem to be leaving any residue, but better spray some clean water later to be safe.

Yes bud! I gave the hydroballs a good cleaning. I rinsed them in 16-22C water several times, afterwards they got soaked in container with a small bit of ethanol (closed off container). 24 hours afterwards I boiled them at 100C for around 15 minutes. I tried to do it as cleanly as possible

Jookie

Just got the humidifier. Should have ordered it sooner. I put 60% humidity into the display and will calibrate it today with various sensors around the room. But so far, it's much easier and extremely manageable to control the humidity!

Attachments

• graph.PNG
    graph.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 53