What's new

The ph of my run off is super low!

I measured my run off and the ec was so high it couldn’t read. This is the current schedule I’m on. Week 4.

Attachments

• 8E5ED7AB-782F-4A50-B4A5-B1EF56D6B31B.jpeg
    8E5ED7AB-782F-4A50-B4A5-B1EF56D6B31B.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 55

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Schedules are good as far as guidelines but unfortunately you never know for sure what they're based on. Even if they are based on cannabis there is still the question of what strain plus a number of other potential variables. Unfortunately different strains can and do have different needs from one another and so you have to monitor things closely and be ready to adjust if things seem to be getting out of whack. Like troutman said just get the ph back in range for whatever medium you're growing in and things should improve. Maybe for a feeding or to give it just water to clear out an salt buildup that might be in the system.

Schedules are good as far as guidelines but unfortunately you never know for sure what they're based on. Even if they are based on cannabis there is still the question of what strain plus a number of other potential variables. Unfortunately different strains can and do have different needs from one another and so you have to monitor things closely and be ready to adjust if things seem to be getting out of whack. Like troutman said just get the ph back in range for whatever medium you're growing in and things should improve. Maybe for a feeding or to give it just water to clear out an salt buildup that might be in the system.

Why does this salt buildup happen and how can I prevent it from happening in the future? This seemed to have happened after defoliation.

LostTribe

Premium user
Why does this salt buildup happen and how can I prevent it from happening in the future? This seemed to have happened after defoliation.

Coco in my limited experience is not hydro. Coco tries to hang onto Ca so you have to water with the proper amount or it will start locking out very quickly if you arent getting runoff. Water the piss out of them with a properly charged nute change until you get the runoff down to within 300 ppm of your input. NEVER WATER COCO WITH RO ONLY OR PLAIN TAP WATER.

Coco in my limited experience is not hydro. Coco tries to hang onto Ca so you have to water with the proper amount or it will start locking out very quickly if you arent getting runoff. Water the piss out of them with a properly charged nute change until you get the runoff down to within 300 ppm of your input. NEVER WATER COCO WITH RO ONLY OR PLAIN TAP WATER.

Damn. I just flushed my plants with RO water….fml

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Damn. I just flushed my plants with RO water….fml

That's what happens when you have several threads on the same subject. In my humble opinion, you would be better served by sticking to one thread instead of "cryptic" description of you problem across many!:)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Ok first of all I don't see runoff at 5.3 to be that big of a deal.

Second, it is ok to flush plants with straight ro in coco, it is even a good thing to do to rinse the media of salt. But like Lost tribe said you then need to immediately water in some fresh nutrients. So I would do that next.

Third .. pics of the plant are very important for diagnosis. Post a pic we can help.

So in conclusion I'm not sure you have a plant problem or are just concerned about your runoff ph level?

Pro tip : start a thread for your grow, post pics of plants, members will help you. And when you are frequently posting pics you will be pleasantly surprised when members see issues coming before they happen. Lots of experience here. Just be mindful of who you are taking advice from always.

Good luck!

Cactus Wes

Lately, it has been my understanding through my general consensus of threads that; You'll drive yourself crazy testing your run off.

PH wonders up in veg and down in flower.

*If you are truly concerned and want a one and done or are looking for something to buy; May I suggest Diatomaceous earth or bentonite clay as amendments, these will raise PH as your media dries while adding some macro nutrients and beneficial microbes(from clay). This also helps with water up take and strengthening cellular development of plant tissues.
These amendments can be watered in very easily.
Cheers

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran

There are two main was salt build ups happen one is when the ph is off enough that it locks out the nutrients. The nutrients just sit there in the soil going nowhere because the plant can't absorb them when the ph is off. As the soil dries out these excess nutrients become salts. Which ones build up depends on how off the ph is and whether it's too high or too low. If it gets too far off either high or low then all the nutrients can get locked out and just sit there and build up in the medium with each feeding. The other way and what I was hinting at in my original post is when you give the plant more then it actually needs or is able to take up. Plants aren't like people in that you can't force feed them and have them get bigger and bigger. I mean they do get bigger and when they get bigger they can consume more but you can't force it on a plant. Different strains have different needs and with all the strains out there and all the hybrids it's virtually impossible to come up with strain specific feeding schedules. Plus manufacturers want you to buy more and more product so they're likely to come up with a schedule that leans more on the heavy side of what most plants need so you'll use the products up faster and need to buy more.

Now there's another thing I'm noticing, you say your growing in coco which by itself that's nothing special or worrying about that but you're relying heavily on a manufacturers schedule and you don't know how salt build ups occur. Both those last things strongly suggest you don't have a lot of experience. I don't mean that as a criticism just an observation and in my opinion for a new and/or inexperienced grower coco is not the best medium to work with. I am constantly seeing posts in these forums about people growing in coco and running in to problems. That's not to say it's no good to work with but growing in coco appears to be challenging and seems to require someone with more experience then a beginner. Although I have to admit I've only ever grown in soil so I myself am speaking based on observation rather then experience. Frankly I don't know why people just starting out so often choose coco? Maybe they've seen the grows done by experienced coco growers and were impressed by their results? They say coco is supposed to be like the best of growing in soil and of growing hydro style and I know there are experienced coco growers that get very good results but people that are just starting out in coco and growing seem to all run into lots of problems. If that describes your situation I would suggest either getting a few grows under your belt in soil first and then try coco. Or if you're absolutely committed to growing in coco then find someone who does it well (and is willing to answer questions) and then do everything they do.

9DRAGONS

Any reasons why my run off ph would be super low 5.3?
gavita 1700e’s. 5 gallon coco.

Raise ph of feed irrigation to 7.3ph, this will rebuffer the grow medium, that should give you a return of 6.3ph.

If high level of ec, just flush at 0.4ec and measure the return ec that should get you back in control

Latest posts

Latest posts