What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My hydro got attacked by the slime - then I stopped cleaning my equipment.

bs0

I grow in a couple different hydro styles, NFT and aero. I've fought the yuck now for years, bleaching everything between runs, taking everything apart, cleaning every little nook and cranny. I was even replacing my pumps between runs to try to ensure I could get it sterile. No matter what, the slime eventually came. I actually quit growing a couple years after a particularly bad attack. So I decided I was going to try something new.

The more I thought about it the more foolish I thought cleanliness is as a concept. There's no way to keep bacteria out, period. If it doesn't come in on the pump it will come in thru the air. If it doesn't come thru the air it will come thru your nutes. If that doesn't do it then you can still get hit with shit tap water. All in all you lose no matter what. The bacteria is coming.

So I tried an experiment a few crops back. And then I just kept doing it. What I decided to do was stop trying to be clean. I started off by rinsing off my gear to make sure there weren't loose particles and then just filled everything up with declor'd tap. I added standard doses of: Hydroguard, Mammoth P, Stress Zyme (aquarium) and did my typical pure blend pro nutes. That's it. I previously used hydroguard w/ my super clean setup but that wasn't always successful. Stress zyme is something that works great in my aquarium, and hydro is almost the exact same thing as running an aquarium. The mammoth P was to try to reach critical mass with the bacteria. The mammoth P is too damn expensive but think of it this way - once you get it colonized in your setup it shouldn't ever really go away. Same thing with the other two, you don't need to continually dose unless you dry everything out or accidentally chlorinate it. All these bacteria should be living in your pump filter media so water changes shouldn't be a problem either.

Since then when a crop finishes I empty the res, rinse things off, remove loose material, and just fire it back up. The theory I've got is that I needed to beat the slime to the punch and just populate my own bacteria biome... Once I got that going, so long as I keep my same pump filters and avoid hitting anything with chlorinated water I should be set. And so far so good, 4th crop in a row right now and the slime has stayed away. Room temps are consistently 82* w/ lights on and I've had nothing but good roots (knock on wood).

I bet there are other ways to do it, and I'm not totally convinced I'm not just lucky here. All I know for sure is that I'm going to keep doing it until it stops working. Not cleaning is way cooler than scrubbing the hell out of everything. I'd be interested if anyone else has gone the no clean route.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Let us know how that works I wouldn’t imagine your plants health would be very good.. I fight it too every day and I can tell you that it will turn into root rot in your media

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I don't know shit about hydro, but I have seen white reservoirs/containers. It is recommended they be black!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Farmers don't clean their fields, or loose them. It's all about balance. You can go decades without cleaning if the balance is close enough. Hydro doesn't hold huge thriving colonies though. It can get out of shape. It is only then that I will sterilise the lot and start again with some friendlies. I won't chuck anything though. A good eco system deals with invasive problems. You can't stop the nasties, you just keep them at bay.

Growenhaft

if things are going well now you should think about using biofilters. this would feed on your current bacteria and thus keep the balance better ...
good luck for the future ... and i also believe that normal hygiene like you do is the right way ... the girls have a defense system should show it damn what it can do.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm struggling in my current location. Every time I clean house, it's the bad bacteria getting a hold first. Good colonies don't seem to last a couple of tank changes. I have had to give up and go sterile. First time ever though.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've been lucky, i guess. i've never had slime and/or root rot in DWC unless my water temps got away from me. hydrogen peroxide & cool water work... i keep looking for a working water fountain to hijack the cooler out of...as mentioned above, a UV sterilizer couldn't hurt either.

dreaded

I've been in DWC for a while but used the sterile system & never had root rot. Now i have a chiller, but ran sterile for atleast 10 yrs. I used about 1ml clorox bleach (regular bleach, no splash guard, non scented) to about 30 gallons water. No RO
Credit goes to Snype.

LostTribe

Premium user
I tried hydro guard for a while ran through almost a gallon then decided to stop adding it to my PBP rez. I have started using the lowest Dose of Dutch Master Zone. Its been working and no nasty roots anymore. If your rez temp is getting to high you are going to get issues sometimes anyway. H202 was also ineffective because you have to add it every 2 days as it off gases. Only takes a bit of Zone to get the job done. They took it off the market but I believe its back and even more concentrated now but I am only seeing it in stock at their website. Not sure where they ship out of or where to.