What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uncanny Cannabinoid Grow: Quantum Boards vs COB -240watt

alpo

I am having second thoughts about running LEDs - it feels like I am hanging a 400w bare bulb hps in there with a remote ballast outside the tent. I don't know if I would be better off with a 315w cmh air cooled without the glass and ballast outside the tent?
cmh-reflector.jpg

The only LEDs for a 3'x3' is a DIY type and my work isn't pretty. Or maybe I could get a 1000w DE and turn it down to 50% power max; air cooled and ballast outside the tent.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A typical block has vertical fibers that train the roots to drop straight out the bottom. There are blocks out there that run different ratio's of horizontal and vertical fibers, or there is even the swiss cheese block. I trialed some plastic one's once, which were terrible. The water just sinks to the bottom as there is no capillary action. Like in the Oasis style blocks in the image. It would be interesting to see if they intend to air prune the roots to keep them in the blocks. Avoiding the table problem. It just looks like plastic waste to me though and with hindsight and foresight, I wouldn't run that system. The algae will love it.

3x3 could be a pair of 240w Quantums. Turned down a little, which is nice.

alpo

A typical block has vertical fibers that train the roots to drop straight out the bottom. There are blocks out there that run different ratio's of horizontal and vertical fibers, or there is even the swiss cheese block. I trialed some plastic one's once, which were terrible. The water just sinks to the bottom as there is no capillary action. Like in the Oasis style blocks in the image. It would be interesting to see if they intend to air prune the roots to keep them in the blocks. Avoiding the table problem. It just looks like plastic waste to me though and with hindsight and foresight, I wouldn't run that system. The algae will love it.

3x3 could be a pair of 240w Quantums. Turned down a little, which is nice.

26 wpsqft sounds low

alpo

I would prefer to run DWC but the container I wanted to buy got discontinued at the end of last month before I could buy it. It was the Current Culture PRO solo 35"x25". Nobody else makes a DWC container like that, that I know of.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
480/9=50 something. Many target 37.5w for some reason. Most people with a 3x3 actually have nearly 11 foot and a wonky ruler. So ~45w a foot.

alpo

M0SJ8g4.jpg

I got this cheap lux meter so I can pretend I go by PPFD instead of watts anyway.

alpo

week three while i plot my next grow...looks like some brown stuff on the roots I couldn't see from inside the tent...
pT5yts1.jpg

5xRtBq2.jpg

alpo

I think I see signs of root rot with the droopy leaves and brown sludge starting to form. Does anyone concur?
I changed out res 4 days ago when they were 10 days old...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I know that meter. One was seen saying 310(x100) beside an apogee saying 500ppfd.
310+50%=465 so it's easy finger math to get close enough. Remember the apogee isn't actually right anyway. It's reading should be converted using tables on their website. That might be worth doing, just the once. The comparison pic (to get the model number) is bottom of page 2 https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...-help-me/page2

alpo

I know that meter. One was seen saying 310(x100) beside an apogee saying 500ppfd.
310+50%=465 so it's easy finger math to get close enough. Remember the apogee isn't actually right anyway. It's reading should be converted using tables on their website. That might be worth doing, just the once. The comparison pic (to get the model number) is bottom of page 2 https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...-help-me/page2

good info there, thanks

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
DWC isn't it. Heavy, over inflated leaves can be expected. The overly squat plants seem common to. Perhaps P is low for this purpose.

I'm looking at some slight rashing on lower leaves with distorted edges, thinking calcium. While a few tips claw a bit like mag or overfeed. They have certain taken a lot of water on.

The root system will adapt or rot. The calcium and magnesium signs should go as the stones finish loading up. There isn't much to do, except find posts on treating root rot.

I once read a lengthy thread (somewhere else) where the guy's rot only went after fetching in city water. Nobody guessed why, but his city water will of contained treatments. I think many dwc users use pool-shock, which it likely the same thing. A Chlorine based additive perhaps. You should be ready with something. Cannabis plants don't grow in ponds or swamps.

alpo

working on something different...
yndsjeY.jpg

I'm not sure if it will work yet, I have a ways to go.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh, PC valves. Could be interesting. I have not seen the hard-pipe parts before. It looks very permanent. Pump choice will be critical. Most people fail to reach the PC valve's rating, so they do nothing.

alpo

I already have a pump and was getting 14 psi with poly tubing and drippers hole punched in. I was thinking I might get more pressure with this setup.

This might be happening sooner than later because I have a feeling my DWC plant won't make it much longer.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Hey Alpo, Cool thread. What were those Cutilene block looking things? Also wanted to say you should experiment with the Delta 10 cubes in Flora Flex 6" pots. I unsleve the Rockwool, put it in the pot, then surround the cube in the pot with expanded clay pebbles. Hand watering one time per day, I can grow fully developed Sativas with solid 3 foot Kolas. I keep a tray under the pots so it's like an unaerated shallow-water-culture setup. I shutter to think what you could do if you automated that.

I've used the new Rockwool cubes. They are an improvement over the old ones, but I would recommend conditioning the new ones just like the old ones. They tell you to quick soak the new cubes and they're ready. Ph drifted big time for me. When I soaked them and flushed them per the old directions, they worked Great.

alpo

Oh, PC valves. Could be interesting. I have not seen the hard-pipe parts before. It looks very permanent. Pump choice will be critical. Most people fail to reach the PC valve's rating, so they do nothing.

It shouldn't be any more permanent than a regular pvc manifold with holes drilled into it.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Yeah.. I prefer flexible stuff with barbed connectors myself. All my drippers and connectors have been in a few systems. It's just bits of hose that ever become waste. The legal situation here makes waste a problem, and fast pack&reassemble a requirement. I'm getting more and more concerned about plastic waste to. I won't build net frames from plastic tube, and I tie string in bows when I feel I might reuse it. I only buy cableties (zipties) that have the release pin. I just don't want stuff I will have to chuck out and buy again.

A lot of PC kit expects a bar (14.7) but almost never any higher. Are they the Netafim pcj? just 7.5psi will work with them. 2L per hour in red.

alpo

Hey Alpo, Cool thread. What were those Cutilene block looking things? Also wanted to say you should experiment with the Delta 10 cubes in Flora Flex 6" pots. I unsleve the Rockwool, put it in the pot, then surround the cube in the pot with expanded clay pebbles. Hand watering one time per day, I can grow fully developed Sativas with solid 3 foot Kolas. I keep a tray under the pots so it's like an unaerated shallow-water-culture setup. I shutter to think what you could do if you automated that.

I've used the new Rockwool cubes. They are an improvement over the old ones, but I would recommend conditioning the new ones just like the old ones. They tell you to quick soak the new cubes and they're ready. Ph drifted big time for me. When I soaked them and flushed them per the old directions, they worked Great.

I'm am using a similar style for this DWC grow right now. It is a mix of clay pebbles and Grodan rockwool mini cubes. I need to add a layer of pebbles on top because algae gets to the top mini cubes before the plant had big enough leaves to cover. But unfortunately I turned off the waterfarm drip ring at the end of week 2 because I was just going to use it until the roots were established in the water below and I think that is why it started drooping. I turned the pump back on today and it looks a little better already.