What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uncanny Cannabinoid Grow: Quantum Boards vs COB -240watt

alpo

This is a high CBD low THC Hemp grow (<0.3% Total THC). I grow for Autism and live with my Dad so everything is licensed and gets tested. I wanted to document it on this site.
It is two 2'x2.5' shorty tents with a basic HomeDepot 17gal DWC tote in each.
HLG Quantum Board 648 double with a Meanwell 240w driver. The other light is RapidLED 9 Cree COB leds with a Meanwell 240w driver.

I soaked two seeds for a couple of minutes and then put them in a wet paper towel and zip lock bag a couple of hours ago:
d9G9I4U.jpg

This is the Quantum Board tent:
mULwWTw.jpg

I don't get the RapidLED light until next week and then I still have to build it so I am taking a gamble by making this thread in advance.
I will plant the seeds Monday or Tuesday.

alpo

I use this shower arm diverter for a Hydro Logic Stealth 300gpd RO system. I get about 50psi:
0Z4zINm.jpg

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
That light is way overpowered for that size tent, all you need is a HLG135 V2 Rspec like I am using in my 2x2 tent.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
2x2.5= 5 foot. 37.5w a foot, Half of 375.. my brains broke. It's nearing 200 though, so a 240 is the nearest size and it's nice to have them turned down. 80% is good for the ballast, not just the LEDs. A moment of clarity says the 135 is perhaps 24w a foot. Workable, but It wouldn't be my recommendation.

Shower diverters are alright, but beware using them if the shower is a typical electric one. I have used them almost exclusively in the past, but treading on the hosepipe or essentially blocking one with an RO machine pops the safety sooner or later. It's often a ball crammed in a pipe that exists beside the shower hose. Once popped, water comes out, and you can't replace it. I have changed 3 showers because of this.
The same adapter will usually fit between a tap and it's flexi, or at the loo where the hose likely has a handy isolation valve

alpo

this thread is a bust. i got a nutrient monitor for each dwc tote and one was a dud.

bS3aC8C.jpg

funny part is this guy put his name on it before he sent it out:
Fgu4Qu7.jpg

I will just have one tent / plant now nothing to show...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
How does that piece of kit work? I haven't seen a constant monitor before. Does the water pass through it or is there a separate sensor we can't see that hangs in the res. Or ???

MrMMJ

It's simply a ph/ec/temp meter with a probe. Use the good one to check each rez while waiting for a replacement of the bad one. Shouldn't be that big of a deal, Hanna is a reputable company. Good luck !

alpo

It's simply a ph/ec/temp meter with a probe. Use the good one to check each rez while waiting for a replacement of the bad one. Shouldn't be that big of a deal, Hanna is a reputable company. Good luck !

The way I have the probe is inside the lid and it is too much trouble to lift up the plant every time to check solution especially when the scrog net starts to fill in. otherwise it is a good meter, one probe for ph,ec,temp and one solution will calibrate ph and ec at the same time. oh well, my one plant should be above ground when lights come on this evening so I have that.

alpo

going to try this again but bigger - 2x 3'x3' tents side by side. I am also going to use one tote 6 plant dwc in each tent

i built this frame for my 4x HLG QB648 Quantum Boad Diablo's. it's a little shiesty. going to use a 480w driver. i spaced this for a 3'x3' space - the horizontal middle will have the same space before and behind the frame and the two vertical middles will have the same space on the two sides of the frame:
D8UCb8i.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	D8UCb8i.jpg Views:	3 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	17840270

the other light will be RapidLED 9x COB led (probably vero29 since they are cheaper, includes the solderless connector, and have a little more lumens per watt than the cree) also a 480w driver

I wont start this grow until my current grow finishes so I will be collecting parts until then. (current grow is the setup in the first post)

if anyone wants to give their input on the spectrum for the 9 cobs or if all should be 3500k

Last edited:

alpo

I got my medical marijuana prescription but in my state, the THC level is 0.5% or less and not less than 10% CBD. Mainly got it hoping they raise the limits.

alpo

I am 10 days in this DWC grow and decided to switch my next method to Rockwool micro drip to waste. It will be 16 plants in 4in Rockwool blocks on 3x3 table x2 = 32 plants total.

madalasatori

Veteran
Hi Alpo interesting grow. Do you mind giving more detail on how cannabis helps with autism? I am researching this field

alpo

Hi Alpo interesting grow. Do you mind giving more detail on how cannabis helps with autism? I am researching this field

Difficulty with social interaction
Difficulty with speech or communication
Obsessive or repeated behaviors
Depression
Restlessness
Aggression or disruptive behavior
Insomnia

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Do have a good think about rockwool. You should glove and mask up when handling it dry, and bits tend to get around. As a system I have never been so constantly poor as when working 4" blocks. It's not the blocks fault as it just offers some support in the early days. The root system needs somewhere else to go. A big pile of them is a poor system. Mats, gutters, nft trays. Non offer good fluid movement through the roots. Many industries moved to blocks on slabs with multiple drippers but for us it's a waterlogged nightmare worse than not bothering. The tomato growers truly pulling ahead switched to coco. As did most home-growers. Where once shops had boxes of blocks, it's now bags of coco and compost. Blocks just live in baskets above dwc systems. An easy way of establishing them in veg. The NFT tank was all the rage 25 years ago. They were repurposed as drip tables with better control of movement through the roots by using the NFT capabilities. It's all history now though. Commercial growers hang onto the idea but they are loosing out to the competition who make the shift to coco.

Blocks on tables will work, but it's 25 years behind the pace. With LEDs putting even greater demand on the plants, the limitations will really show.

alpo

Do have a good think about rockwool. You should glove and mask up when handling it dry, and bits tend to get around. As a system I have never been so constantly poor as when working 4" blocks. It's not the blocks fault as it just offers some support in the early days. The root system needs somewhere else to go. A big pile of them is a poor system. Mats, gutters, nft trays. Non offer good fluid movement through the roots. Many industries moved to blocks on slabs with multiple drippers but for us it's a waterlogged nightmare worse than not bothering. The tomato growers truly pulling ahead switched to coco. As did most home-growers. Where once shops had boxes of blocks, it's now bags of coco and compost. Blocks just live in baskets above dwc systems. An easy way of establishing them in veg. The NFT tank was all the rage 25 years ago. They were repurposed as drip tables with better control of movement through the roots by using the NFT capabilities. It's all history now though. Commercial growers hang onto the idea but they are loosing out to the competition who make the shift to coco.

Blocks on tables will work, but it's 25 years behind the pace. With LEDs putting even greater demand on the plants, the limitations will really show.

I'm waiting for this release...
125243868_2764575907133568_4281614269028876550_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=973b4a&_nc_ohc=LBbS6QyWtDIAX99zWiP&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=ba7cbef04fcd315590e78bf446bb5ffa&oe=60B9C602.jpg

alpo

Grodan came out with an improved version of their rockwool last year. I haven't used it yet though.