What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

waterfarm drip ring?

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
That has prolly more to due with the power of the pump and thing. The holes to get clogged with tap water chalk and crusty dried nutes and thing, but you can clean em up, and/or drill more holes if need be. Or use electrical tape to cover up if ya got too many holes.

That said. Waterfarms are too expensive, used to have a couple, but the design is so simple that you can make three - four DIY waterfarms with the price of one factory made.

alpo

That has prolly more to due with the power of the pump and thing. The holes to get clogged with tap water chalk and crusty dried nutes and thing, but you can clean em up, and/or drill more holes if need be. Or use electrical tape to cover up if ya got too many holes.

That said. Waterfarms are too expensive, used to have a couple, but the design is so simple that you can make three - four DIY waterfarms with the price of one factory made.

yea I just got the drip rings, $12 -not the whole system. seems to drip around 0.5gph at my guess.

mytwhyt

With the extra holes, same size as existing ones, drilled in between, it will move about 5 gal an hour.. About 120 gal in 24 hours.. Great thing about the hydroton is that it adds enough O2 so you don't need air stones.. That's why Waterfarms don't come with air stones.

alpo

My plants roots grew under the drip rings pipe and lifted it up so it basically serves no function at this point.

mytwhyt

857556-572a7039a197cc605b6196d1cd7fe41a.jpg
Not my Waterfarm, but they do tend to fill up with roots. A 100 day grow is a good way to limit that, or at least make it less of a problem..

alpo

I went 29 days from seed to 12/12 and am on day 19 flower. It was still worth using for the time it did work. I did 30 minutes on and 1hr off during lights on only.

mytwhyt

That time line is what is what I try for before flowering.. Was it the roots in the reservoir, or the roots in the hydroton that's causing the problem? In the picture the dripring was on 24/7, and that's the way I run my diy WFs. I do think a larger reservoir is needed. I know posting pics in other peoples threads is frowned on. I posted the picture because I thought it was relative to the thread..

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have '24' waterfarm buckets - seems to be an ezee way to get into hydro- we bought a large pump, and enlarged the dripper holes a bit- other then cleaning the drippers, and changing the water/nutes, its a simple growing method- our drippers r on 24/7 -

LostTribe

Premium user
My plants roots grew under the drip rings pipe and lifted it up so it basically serves no function at this point.

I have been running DIY Dutchbuckets for decades. Sometimes you have to pull the top bucket and trim any roots that may come through so it doesn't mess with the water line.

I run them elevated so they ebb Flo to an external Rez. You can feed as often as you want in veg but in bloom I only feed 4-6 Times per day with lights on.

My buckets are basically one 5 gal bucket with about 10 3/8ths in holes drilled about 2 in up from the bottom in the sides then I put that bucket inside another 5 gal bucket with a 1/2 in barb fitting and run a drain line back to the res. Little general pump ebbs in about 1-2 minutes from diy 1/2 tube drip rings.

If you start to notice reduced water flow on those tiny things I'd pull the bucket and check. Your pump will not last long running like that either.