What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Questions for Culture current users

COS

Ok not sure why the search isn't working so I'll ask here.

I'm interested in buying a cultural current system.

my only concern is the amount of water that's required to run this system. Like am i required to dump the whole system every week for nute change outs or can I just keep the system topped off throughout the entire cycle?

growlegal

Veteran
It is so much less expensive to build your own
Lots oy DIY on youtube...
As far as change outs you can run a sterile system and recharge

But I would seriously think about building your own
You'll be disappointed once you learn how simple it is with a few items from the box stores for 1/3 the cost

overbudjet

Veteran
those system are easy to build

Attachments

• photo1211890.jpg
    photo1211890.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 54
  • photo1211891.jpg
    photo1211891.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 52
  • photo1211892.jpg
    photo1211892.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 51
  • photo1211902.jpg
    photo1211902.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 51
  • photo1211902.jpg
    photo1211902.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 51

COS

So water is very expensive where I live that's why I was asking if I had to change the nutrients out every week. I'm very conservative with my water and run a drip system with dosers. Each plant has it own drip valve running off a high pressure tank pump.

Attachments

• 20210318_180032.jpg
    20210318_180032.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 63

overbudjet

Veteran
Around 150 gal total 12 site *13 gal .You should be able to dump water only once at the start of the flower cycle (also depend on nutrients )
on this pic girls only see 1 water change .
You seam to have such a nice system ,why the change to RDWC

Attachments

• photo1343894.jpg
    photo1343894.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 58

COS

I also dont mix resivoirs, I add my ph down to the base concentrated stock solution but only after I've calibrated the EC on each doser, I have one for silica, one for calcium nitrate, one for base, and one for drip clean I use at the end of each run.

So I'm thinking i could use a variable speed pressure switch pump to keep the RDWC resivoir topped off stright off the dosers this means the ph will already be adjusted when the dosers top off the RDWC resivoir.

Or I could set a scheduled event with the smartbee app using a NC valve. Or just do it manually through my phone.

Coco is getting to be to much hands on for me with all the trans planting and mess it makes. Maybe one day I will achieve the perfect indoor garden.

COS

Dang those 13 gallon buckets are $45 and the bulkhead $18 each from hydrobuilder. Are there any where else to get them for less?

alpo

Dang those 13 gallon buckets are $45 and the bulkhead $18 each from hydrobuilder. Are there any where else to get them for less?

I didn't like the Current Culture bulkheads because the gasket was on the outside of the bucket. I know some are designed that way but doesn't make sense to me.

dreaded

how high is your ceiling. 13 gallon might be overkill. if you have smaller ceiling height, 8 gallon would be a better choice.. My :2cents:

Gry

If you would like a system that would offer similar benefits at somewhat reduced cost, you may want to take a look at the PPK.
Was designed by a member here, can be put together inexpensively, and expanded easily.
Current PPK thread is "something wicked this way come" and can be found under indoor hydro grows.
It is easy on the water usage, inexpensive to run, but can still be an impressive producer.
Best of wishes with what ever you use

I’m running the double barrel 24site 13 gal set up. I have lower ceiling height (8ft) and I wish I would’ve got the 8 gal sites as the plant can get waaay outa hand if you veg too long. The systems are turn key and look professional in the end… just get a complete set from hydro farm for the best savings. small leaks are always occurring from the air bubbling up in the system and leaking from under each lid. Usually occurs until there are enough roots to slow the bubbles from exiting the water. The provided Air stones clog up so I ditched those.

regarding water swap outs I typically drain 50% a week before flip and refill will RO. With nutes I just keep topping off as they eat each week. When dialed these system are solid, last year I took a week trip to Tx and came back the room was fine, just a little lower in ppm.

here are a couple pics of the set up. It’s a lil bit of a mess right now.

Attachments

• photo2126296.jpg
    photo2126296.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 65
  • photo2126297.jpg
    photo2126297.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 63
  • photo2126298.jpg
    photo2126298.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 58
  • photo2126299.jpg
    photo2126299.jpg