What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NOT ANOTHER CLONING THREAD!

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Well it's that time of the month again. Time to get some clones going for another SOG run.

Couple of problems though, my heat mat shit itself a while ago and I haven't replaced it. I've also run out of Jiffy pellets and nearest store is a 2 hour drive. Mmm what to do now?

How about using water heat, Hiko tray and coco/perlite.

40 CELL HIKO TRAY

picture.php

FILLED WITH A MIX OF 60/40 COCO/PERLITE

picture.php

40 CLONES ARE IN

picture.php

NO HEAT MAT, NO PROBLEMS, TUB OF WATER HEATED TO 24 C

picture.php

LET'S PUT A TUB IN THE WARM WATER

picture.php

PUT THE TRAY OF CLONES IN IT

picture.php

MISTED ONCE, PUT THE COVER ON

picture.php

Clones are under 2x36W cfls and on 18/6.

Let's see what happens.

High Country

Veteran
One more thing, the clones were dipped in Clonex purple, trimmed and buried deeply in the coco/perlite mix.

High Country

Veteran
This should work just fine as long as I'm patient and don't prod and poke them. 14 days.

High Country

Veteran
7 days into the clone run and the dome is now off for good. All are looking healthy.

picture.php

JUST HAD THERE FIRST FEED OF SEAWEED EXTRACT

picture.php

When I start to see veg growth I'll put a 430W HPS over there heads. A MH would be better but I don't have one.

High Country

Veteran
15 DAYS LATER AND ALL 40 CLONES ARE WELL

picture.php

ROOTS DEVELOPING RAPIDLY, FEED WITH VEG NUTES AT 1.0 EC AND UNDER A 430W HPS TO VEG FOR A WHILE AND THEN INTO A SOG

picture.php

I'll veg these for about a week in the Hiko tray and then into ebb/flow at 4 per sq/ft.

Panama Red

Great job of improvising.
I like the deep HIKO tray.
Is it hard to extract each plant when it's ready to transplant?
Do you cut the cells apart and turn each one over and let gravity do the job
or leave the whole tray intact and push up through the drainage hole at the bottom?

NOT ANOTHER CLONING THREAD!

Hey panama I've used those hiko trays before in a propagation class. Once well rooted, we grabbed each cell from the underside and slightly added pressure around the cell. This slightly loosens the rootball but not much. We then would push from the bottom while gently grabbing the plant with the other hand and pulling upward. Pulls them out very nicely. If using all perlite to mostly perlite, a simple tug from the top will cleanly pull the rooted cutting.

Panama Red

Thanks G. :tiphat:

I've been looking for containers just like that for seed and clone propagation so that I only have to transplant once.

High Country

Veteran
I just stick my middle finger in the bottom hole and push out the clone. This is what it looks like.

picture.php

daoud

Very nice! Everything is looking great. I think im going to try the coco/perlite next run.

would it be possible to add a top dress of worm castings?

also i have never grown with coco. do u need to bring out the ph meter?

High Country

Veteran
Very nice! Everything is looking great. I think im going to try the coco/perlite next run.

would it be possible to add a top dress of worm castings?

also i have never grown with coco. do u need to bring out the ph meter?

I guess you could top dress with worm castings but I don't. I have never checked PH. I put my clone plugs straight into an ebb/flow table filled with hydroton, SOG style.

Simple approach to bottom heating, good suggestion. I have been cloning plants in these cell trays for years using the commercial potting medias like sunshine and promix. I am wondering if these plugs can be used for both soil and hydro transplanting as a result of having no peat mixed into the media.

High Country

Veteran
Simple approach to bottom heating, good suggestion. I have been cloning plants in these cell trays for years using the commercial potting medias like sunshine and promix. I am wondering if these plugs can be used for both soil and hydro transplanting as a result of having no peat mixed into the media.

They were originally designed for soil use and are used extensively by propagation nurseries but I have found you can use any medium you like in them. I use them for soil and hydro.

The reason I asked is because it looked like the plug photo was in a peat based media. I thought the coir was light in color, so I assumed you grew soil media plugs for soil and coir plugs for hydro. Glad to know the coir is used in either grow. This would make it easier to grow clones for resale to either style of grower.