What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Krusty Bucket - Attempted by SomeoneYouKnow

Heya Everyone,

After another long day of building - we will be finished soon! - WooHoo !!

Since pictures speak volumes - I'll get this thread started with these -

Feedback Wanted.

It all starts here - with having a dream . . and the perserveriance to persue it!!

1026Live_Your_Dreams_-_ICMAG-med.jpg

Last edited:
Please come inside. . . .

1026Door_To_Happiness_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

I've brought the big boys out to play for this grow - hehehee -

1026Big_Boys_-_ICMAG.jpg

Yep - that is a 50 lb co2 tank and a 6 foot carbon filter < SYK Inhales Deeply >

. . . and a scrapped ebb and flow table in the back - anyone stupid enough to take and use it ?

Last edited:
2 Ton 24000 BTU Bad Boy 230 Volts of Hardwired Air Cooling Power - upgraded to the correct size as per Krusty!

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Heat_Controller_RAD_243

http://www.aitons.com/RAC-1-2003.pdf

10262_Ton_AC_Hardwired_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

SUPER Thomas Piston Air Pump up to 100 psi or something. . . .
(upgraded per Krusty's Suggestion - B4 problems were had ;) )

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611720774&ccitem=

1026Air_Octopussy_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

That above shot also shows the halfassed - but FULLY functional octopussy manifold I made by lookin at the K-Man's pictures that I have archived. The 1/4" outlet from the Thomas pump enters a 5/8" water hose with 1/4" barbs that were sealed with hot glue.

ALL Barb fittings were drilled out to their maximum size by hand to increase flow and decrease back pressure - both water and air.

Last edited:
Finally got some froth to happen in my buckets - here is the best one

1026Frothy_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

The way I did it was to beat the shit out of the soaker hose - by pinching it several ways with pliers and bending it back and forth and stuffs.

Ooops - gotta re-make the bottom buckets - they ended up being too deep - also gonna add the screen to prevent backup later on - dont want to be havin to pick up my trees later on.

1026Too_Deep_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

They are not all that deep - but per Krusty's suggestion - I am going to be pro-activ and reduce my nutes to 1 1/2 inch or so.

One problem after another building this grow. . .

Here is a prime example - stupid stoner me didnt think that I needed to get an "Action Packer" or some other type of STURDY res to sink in the ground. . . . and it started to buckle on me.

1026Res_Caving_In_-_ICMAG-med.JPG

Also - if you was wonderin what that copper rod is in the ground - it is just that - an 8' foot 1/2" copper rod we slammed into the ground to help ground all the power we are pullin (( didnt really feel like having yet another wire run outside - and I had the hole in the ground anyways so I was like - what the hey! )) I am going to wrap it with green electrical tape just to make for a nice clean install and never any probs with it being close to the rez.

Dr. Downtime

Yeeeah!

Yeeeah!

Looks super, man! :D Everything looks very well put together!

Some of us dumbshits are still using ebb&flow... But like you said, I'm not stupid enough to do it again. Not now that I have a notebook filled with "KBS" notes. :)

Q's...

1. How many buckets you running?

2. Whats the light setup- wattage and placement?

3. Where does the back of that A/C go? Indoors? how do you deal w/ the heat?

Edit-- Question 4. It looks like all your wiring is going into the attic? Keeping your ballasts there? Got a subpanel maybe? Do tell!

Good luck bro!

~Dr. D

Last edited:

krusty

teehee

". . . and a scrapped ebb and flow table in the back - anyone stupid enough to take and use it ?"

gotta LOVE that:)

dewd...i see alot of sweet stuff in your room....

gawd if yer renting that place i would kill you if you was yer landlord:)

he'll get over it tho:)

i liked the bubble action happening....

3" of nutes...a wee bit high....can you get buckets up higher so they drain better?? maybe even limit yer feed output by ussing a smaller pump...

white buckets.....i seem to find black 5 gallon buckets every store i go to....you gotta use the black ones...or else the light will get into tyer root zone which is bad news:/

that res is way too small ....you need something about 3 times as large at least and yes it would be nice if you could get something a wee bit more stable:)

hmmm...looks like you have the resivoir in the grow room...this will add to the heat and more problems i think....was there no other area outside of the grow room to use??

i like how you are thinking of keeping the heat out of the resivoir by placing yer pump outside the res....but i worry aobut inline pumps cause if it looses its prime yer fucked:/

i would just use a mag drive pump ...small one...very small if i think yer only ussing 6 buckets....

hope this helps....good to see you changing over but dewd you need to get black buckets and something done with resivoir:/ i can see problems happening half way thru bud

peace

krusty

Damn Krust - you couldnt number your questions for me huh - just fucken kiddin. . .. . THANKS for your reply!!

krusty said:
dewd...i see alot of sweet stuff in your room....

gawd if yer renting that place i would kill you if you was yer landlord:)

he'll get over it tho:)

Thanks Krust - been workin hard, and readin even more to get the specs right. . .

Yeah - the landlord - Bitch - calls my partner the other night to complain that she saw the torn up carpet on the side of the house. She hasnt even seen what we have done to the inside yet - and I dont know if she knows about the A.C we put in the back wall - yet. ... . Oh yeah - and the hole I cut into the attic for access - since it was COMPLETELY sealed - stupid builders -

She knows what my partner and I are doing though so all is well.
Fact we never signed a rental agreement or nada - just pay the WAY inflated rent.

And she watched us run all new power lines from the street. (( hehehehe - rubbs hands together )) Stupid place only had 110 on 6 gauge wires comming to the back house - with a length of over 100 ft.

Replaced it COMPLETELY with over 100 ft of 4 gauge wire - the bitch was pulling it through the EXISTING 3/4" PVC so that it didnt look like a new install to DWP.

i liked the bubble action happening....

3" of nutes...a wee bit high....can you get buckets up higher so they drain better?? maybe even limit yer feed output by ussing a smaller pump...

Good Krust - that makes me feel better, bout the frothin I mean.

Yes - the nutes are high - but I think it is more the placement of the drain hole that I drilled in the bucket (( too high on the bucket )) not the height of the buckets demselves. That is on my to-do list for today - re-drill new bottom buckets - AND add SCREEN to the drainage holes.

white buckets.....i seem to find black 5 gallon buckets every store i go to....you gotta use the black ones...or else the light will get into tyer root zone which is bad news:/

[\QUOTE]

Hmmm - couldnt find the black buckets here - maybe I am just not lookin in the right places - Home DePot only had the Orange ones - found these white ones at OSH.

Hopefullly got the problem figured out though - got that bubble wrap type insulation that is silver coated cut to size to wrap around all my buckets once I get the nute levels and frothing right. Should keep the light out for sure and keep da root zone kinda insulated too.

that res is way too small ....you need something about 3 times as large at least and yes it would be nice if you could get something a wee bit more stable:)

hmmm...looks like you have the resivoir in the grow room...this will add to the heat and more problems i think....was there no other area outside of the grow room to use??

[\QUOTE]

Yeah - I am thinking that myself - I have always used a res NO smaller than like 115 gal and even used a 300 gal horse trough for a couple of grows.

I somehow remember seeing that you like " bout 3 gallons of active rez for each bucket " - this about right?

That rez size is 30+ gal with it holding about 23 gal or so when it is workin - damn - dont want to fill the room with more dust and crap re-diggin the rez but better now than later. - Hmmm - SHIT - Damn - Errrrr.

Yes - there is an adjoining room - but I am trying to keep it all in the one room. Got a buddy who workes with aquariums so hopefully I can get a used old school chiller until I can afford me one of dem nice digital ones.

Shit - I'm 6K into this already - what is another thousand.

i like how you are thinking of keeping the heat out of the resivoir by placing yer pump outside the res....but i worry aobut inline pumps cause if it looses its prime yer fucked:/

i would just use a mag drive pump ...small one...very small if i think yer only ussing 6 buckets....

[\QUOTE]

Yeah - that was my original intent - problem being - actually that is a self priming pump - which is why I chose it - but the problem is - that to make it self priming - I dont know what they fucken did but it sounds like an aircraft jet powering up - LOUD as HELL - 4x as loud as the Thomas pump - AT least! - so it had to go - couldnt have my 'water pump' be the loudest thing in my room - hell even louder than the AC.

The pump has been replaced with a submerge RIO brand 500 gph pump - puts out way less force than the other pump in the picts above - but no noize so me likes.

hope this helps....good to see you changing over but dewd you need to get black buckets and something done with resivoir:/ i can see problems happening half way thru bud

peace

krusty

Thanks again K man - to be honest with you - I am tired of the glamour in growing - hey look at my grow - look how big my dick is - look how big my show is - here - let me post more evidence just in case. . . .

But I really wanted YOUR feedback - as well as the others in the forum here (( Notice not on OG or CW ))

Will do as you suggested :

Fix Buckets

Figure out something for reservoir.

(( I almost want to go deeper for the new res rather than larger around - like maybe a trash can with re-inforcements before I place it in the ground )) - What Cha think about that one??

Damnit - I didnt want to fuck with da rez anymore.

Back to work

~ SYK ~

Last edited:
Questions for Krust:

1) What size active rez should I be aiming for with 6 buckets?

2) What cha think about my idea for a trash can rez - think I will fill it aroud with sand insead of the hard packed dirt I pulled out last time. Figured it would surround it better and act as a thermal draw even more since there would be less 'air' spaces.

Lemme Know -

SYK

DD -

Thanks for chiming in. All are welcome, cept trolls of course - well hell - guess even they are welcome - it'll keep Krusty and I from pickin on the innocent - hehehe.

1) 6 buckets.

2) Lighting is 6,000 watts. - 3 KW (( 2 HPS, 1 MH )) & 3 600 HPS.
It was wired 120, but I re-wired it to 240 for the hell of it.

Standard Krusty 6 Plant Layout

3) The back of the A/C goes out the back of the garage and is almost butt up against the back of another building - fact this was a problem - leaving a couple of inches for heat exchange back there - will try and take a shot of it for yas today.

4) Yes - all wiring was done by yours truely from the street on in - to a 60 AMP main breaker right inside the front door - to the 6 circuit sub pannel I put in the attic. Will get a shot of this one for yas too.

Boy Krusty - it sure does make it easier to answer numbered questions.

krusty

i feel way way better about landlord issue now...lmao

cause shit dewd i saw that room was like purty nice and not looking as tho it was a grow room but more of a normal bedroom...

hhmmmm....shit dewd....3 gallons per bucket.......okies well ....for 10 buckets i like this one res that needs an entire 45 gallon drum to fill it up completely...so 3 gallons is sorta small....i would think min is 4.5...and liek you said about horse trough it is better to go more then not enough...mainly cause if you keep the resivoir out of the grow room then the more nutrients you have sitting somewhere without the ehat of the room the easier it is to control the temperature...if that amkes any sense:)

that res you showed in picture is 30 gallons????????!!!!

me re looks....okies maybe..its hard to tell cause the pix is kinda fuckered up...maybe it is alot deeper then i think....but i think youonly got 6 plants so if you got 30 gallons then kewlios...but prob is....you got resivoir in the heat of the room...so its kinda fuckered dewd:/

i hear yas about money flow and beeing limited....i just wished that resivoir was not in grow room dewd...i see bad things with that....

cant find black buckets....i cant find white ones...go figure..lmao...but serisouly if yer going to skirt them i cant seee a prob with that...i jsut didntrealize you were skirting them:)

ya self priming pumps use i think an overdrive and simply its the suction of air that pulls up the water...neato...never ussed one of them things to be honest...but i would bet it would be loud when it started up:)

was there glamor in this???

lmao...dewd i jsut get pissed off at other systems cause they are lying to us.....its why i push you guys to use this system is cause after years of fucking up my life and loosing tones of cash i simpyl want you guys to do it the best way ...imho of course:)

trash can...yikes...lmao....seriosuly....get it into a different room....and try and find a normal res....yo have home depot so you must be in usa....i cant see why there is no landscaping place or grow shop in yer area that owuld have one....i found good resivoirs at a motorhome dealership...they had these res' made up for tent trailers....worked good:)

1. active resivoir and 6 buckets ....depends...i would have to know what yer room temps are....how insulated the place is...is the location near concrete walls?? are you going to use a res chilller??? are you limited in space or what have yas??

you know the real answer..the larger the resivoir the better it will work....you dont want overkill so that yer wasting a shit load of nutrients each time....you want yer res temps to be at 72 F....68 F to 72 F ....if you allow temps to get higher then 72 F you wil end up with problems....if your at 75 F fine...good enough for this crop til you buy a res chiller...but i knwo you will loose some yield....you try and use 78 F temps in yer es you might very wlel loose the entire crop or end up with like 2 lbs off 6 lights..and we cant afford this with the expensive rent now can we??

i would use a 40 gallon resivoir in a seperate room and work form there....but you gotta get it out of the room dewd....you will see...the floor will hat up with all them lights...and so will the resivoir:/

2. obviously i dont liek the idea...if it works and gets yer temps down fine...whatever works....i dont liek it beeing that deep cause ti is pain in da ass to clean but oh well....and also i think yer trying ot leave resivoir in the grow room...i jsut hate that idea is all dewd....i like the resivoir to be away form anything in a clean enviroment:/

lmao...nwo you understand why i tripped when folks didnt number questions...lmao

good luck dewd...you already know the answers to everything....i am just telling yas "yeppers...amke sure yo do it" incase you try and get lazy with us

peace

krusty

krusty said:

good luck dewd...you already know the answers to everything....i am just telling yas "yeppers...amke sure yo do it" incase you try and get lazy with us

Thanks Krust - that is EXACTLY what I need. . .. .

As far as moving the rez though - it was a small chunck of HELL to dig that hole - as well as major damage to the floor (go figure) SO. . .now that it is done. . . I would really like to do all that I can to keep it where it is. - however - I will definitely get something larger - darn!

Yeah - the current rez is 30 gal but only 2/3 is usable - time for a larger rez.

That self priming pump is loud as shit - even when it gets goin. It has already been removed - maybe I will use it to drain the rez since it has a pretty good flow.

Glamour - well not really. . . hehehe - just trying to line my pockets with some more green. After all I have a 7 year old little girl to provide for which is why I play this game in the first place - My point basically was - that I am not posting so that I can show off, in fact, I would rather not post at all - out of sight out of mind- my ONLY reason was to get YOUR feedback - Thanks Bro!

Well - as I said before - I cant really justify breaking yet another hole in the ground for the rez outside the room - will just have to get a nice cover and keep my hands crossed.

The grow is located in a detached garage in the heart of downtown Los Angeles CA - The structure appears to be well insulated - but poorly built (( they used 2x4s for the ceiling beams - what a sight it is to see my stoner ass trying to balance on them while doing all the wiring and shit! ))

It has thick concrete floors (as I found out earlier) and seems to stay pretty cool - especially considering there is no exhaust or vent even for the attic - yet.

I am subject to Los Angeles temps and humidity.

Average temps with the A/C working and all lights fired up are around 85 degrees in the heat of the day, but of course it is a lot cooler at the floor level - where the rez is.

Right now the room is sealed (cept for the AC) but I plan to add intake and exhaust to combat the stink later on in the cycle.

Got a big 50lb co2 tank waiting to be drained!

Yep your right Krusty - cant afford fuckups with this expensive rent. and now I have put my ass on the line - dont want to look bad on top of a monitary loss!! ((( again - which is why I am taking the time to build this thread - and why I thank you so much for your time )))

Laters All

~ SYK ~

Last edited:

krusty

now dewd dont be lazy and give me some crap about the hole was a big ordeal....

aint shit...nothing a bag of pre mix and a 5 gallon bucket wont fix:)....you have carpet goes back in this spot...big deal...seriously think about getting that res out of the grow room if you can...take you an hour to fix the hole:)

and i am seriously saying you might end up loosing a lb or 2 from that....so is that extra 2-3 hours of fixing redoing yer hole not werth say 2 lbs of weed?? you do math

fuck dewd....L.A. ...got a little girl to support...

dewd move to oregon and get a pass to grow...hell move up to BC and grow or some shit...just dont get yer ass fucked up down there.....who knows maybe things have changed but be careful:/

peace

krusty

ps- i know i am beeing a bitch about the res in same room...but i just dont like it....see even if you add a res chiller to this room yer just going to create even more heat to the room....i was forced to dothis at one place...first i tried a inline ozone filter....i think it wa sozone...anyhoo ussed some ultraviolet bulb that would kill any bacteria that would pass by it...didnt work...ende dup ussng a res chiller..but the res chiller totally pushed the temps even higher in the room.....was a cluster fuck

OK Krusty - I will seriously consider it again. . .but I really think that I am going to have to leave it where it is. . . time is running out - got other projects to work on too. . .you know how it is.

Anyways - the bitch is not fixing the hole - it is pounding out another with the sledge hammer by hand like we did the first one - should have just plopped down the $80 or so on a jackhammer for the day.

What I CAN do is . . . . if I do end up getting the chiller - is to put the chiller right on the other side of the wall for this room - in the other room - and just plumb the hose from the chiller to the rez through the wall - adding the heat to the other room

:)

Yeah - LA - Cops - S-C-A-R-R-R-Y-Y-Y !!

Would love to move for less penalty - but again - my daughter makes it hard - her mom and I were together before I started this 'career' so she has no idea what I do.

But hell I am a grower anyways - so it is not like I am now doing something I wasnt before. .. . just now I have fewer plants - heheheh

I also have the headache of dialing in a new system.

Yeah Krust - moving the rez is not possible - I will just have to remotely mount the chiller and get a larger rez and expand that hole a little.

Wish you were here so I could share some of our fungal friends wit cha - fresh homegrown mushies are the best !!

If everything goes well with this crop - I'll come and visit cha in your homeland (( that is if they let me in )) and if you can stand me. . . .but I guess with friends like that "glen" picture you posted last year - I should be easy - hehehe - just fuken kiddin.

~ SYK ~

Last edited:
krusty said:

and i am seriously saying you might end up loosing a lb or 2 from that....so is that extra 2-3 hours of fixing redoing yer hole not werth say 2 lbs of weed?? you do math

Hmmm - errrrr - ahhhhh - damn -

I feel like you are twisting my arm from afar!

Course - who wouldnt want to do the extra work for the extra yeild. . .. .

Fixing the hole is not the problem - relocating and finding another spot for the res IS.

Gonna have to keep my fingers crossed.

So far I am going to violate two of Krusty's suggestions to try and make this work in my particular situation. . ..

A) Gonna keep the rez in the same room - but concentrate on sealing it up from warm air and such. . .

B) Gonna use. .. ahhh - can hear Krusty yelling already. . .. Hydroton in the buckets.

Had HELLA problems with Lava Rock in the past with PH fluctuation and what not - bad rock maybe - probiably - but not worth the risk - I know we are going for stree free and I am inducing stress with the hydroton vs lava but for the first round that is what I am going to use while experimenting with different lava from building yards in town to get it right for the next round.

Feedback?

~ SYK ~

krusty

i just cant beleive you can get hydrotron (i thought only came from hydroponic stores) yet you cant get black buckets....lmao

hydrotron is okies if you grow say plants arround 5 feet tall..and make sure you string them good...but if you get larger monsters like what some of you grow...i know the top portion of the root will twist n shit....doesnt matter how you string them you will end up stressing them in hydrotron....

take a bucket of hydrotron....and submerge it in water....bunch of the shit will flaot...nwo take yer hand and push it towards the bottom of the bucket...easy as all hell right???

now try same thing with lava rock...OUCH!! you cant move yer hand 1 inch....the shit achors itself to each other and this is what holds the larger plants up...

cant beleive that there is no good lava rock...i admit there is some shit i have ussed that no matter what i washed it with it still fucked arround on me....but i have not had that problem in years:/

next time you go to rent a hosue to do this just try and find one with the ability to put a room beside grow room for your res n shit.....as long as you keep yer res temps at 72 F then i think having res in room will work....i jsut myself never had any luck doing that:/

peace

krusty

Here's a couple of bud shots from the past. . ..

Cant believe I let these gentics go :-( Ahhh well - shit happens.

Here's a KUSH sea of green :

1026KUSH-med.jpg

Super Close up (( actual picture was taken by a friend - thanks ))

1026t_frosty_bubba_2nd_batch.jpg

Stony as shit - Super AAA Quality

1026t_frosty_bubba_nugs.jpg