What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Under bed grow room.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey, looks like a nice idea, complicated set up by my standards, but man you need a new phone lol.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Hey, looks like a nice idea, complicated set up by my standards, but man you need a new phone lol.

The pics are reduced to 7% to get them in under the 1024x1024 117.2KB limit.

It's a shame plants don't like methane :D

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That was my first thought, for a tight space situation - and the CO2 from sleeping. This is a pretty complicated set-up.

The cops might think there was "intent to manufacture" pot LOL.

Veggia farmer

really liking the setup here.. Just on question, who sleeps over the setup?

I know I sometimes blames my boys but this goes waaaay longer then me:p

Cool..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
:)
There is quite a bit going on there. Every day a timer allows the tank to fill. Using a solenoid valve and float switch. I didn't want to bring mains pressure water through the building so it's just a hose that's turned on under the bath. I have made that arrangement a lot tidier now as I try to put a kit together. So far I have it at £25 delivered and to break into your plumbing you place an adapter in a flexi under a sink or the loo. The loo is good as local laws usually demand the loo hose incorporates a ball valve for easy isolation.
This kind of thing
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
The 12v valve
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...9#237_4452#5108#23442#820_4452#3564#16062#146
Plumbing
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9#237_4452#5108#23442#820_4452#3564#16062#146
Water level thing you can dangle in the tank to whatever level you want to fill to
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Relay board to take the signal from the water sensor and reliably switch the valve
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/326...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Power it
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

This is best done in conjunction with timed fertigation. I'm watering for a total of 18 minutes a day. That's 9.5L every day. Then my tank fills for me. I just walk in and there is the tank, waiting for 9.5L worth of feed every day. It's like clockwork. This repetition leads to automated dosing. My feeds and acid are all on little pumps simply run on timers. I just put up a thread where you can buy 1 second interval timers and there are lots of dosing pumps costing a few quid. Chemical compatibility is the bit that slowed me down.

Obviously I have the waste water pumped out. This is done with a tank level controller. A 3 pin device. One pin simply stays in the drink, while the other two control the level. When the run-off reaches the top pin, the pump runs until the water level drops to the other pin. So the pump gets to run for a reasonable time, instead of spluttering away on a simple float based system.

The drip pumps good for a 14 meter head so has no problem dragging through the tank filter then pressing on through the anti-siphon valves to the drippers which don't drip, they trickle. 33cc per minute measured at any of them (32.86cc I have installed a water meter)
The pump is so quiet, the ticking of my lighting timer is more bothersome. I have to look at the indicator lights on my control gear to see what it's doing.

Speaking of control gear.. That row of timers deal with all the above. They are 12v timers and all that runs off a 12v 5a power adapter. Except the drain pump, which stands alone.

It's quite a bit going on.

The PC fans I like as they are mag-lev so run very quietly. I like my air to come in low. Through the canopy. Then out. Some gets taken as it passes the lights and used to cool the lights. All 6 lights now have a cowling to achieve this. The fans are powered in sets to balance the airflow. Everywhere is getting a steady supply, though if I'm honest, I have too much entering to the left and the humidity difference in the canopy shows this in plant morphology. The wetter right side fills in with more depth, giving a higher number of smaller buds. Much of which is crap to trim. While the drier left side has made it's effort with the tops. I have to strip a lot more lower stuff out on the wetter side to get similar growth.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
How tall are you growing the plants growing in that space?

Lights are 80cm above ground level. The guttering? uses 10cm of that, so the pots and plants have 70cm to play with.

I'm using bigger pots this run, but have cut them down a bit as I don't want to use any more height. I have the 60cm to play with but with typical ceiling heights of 230cm I want to grow within 115cm. Older houses have a 244cm ceiling which divides to give me three tiers without any real overlap. Which on racking, can be done. Keeping the lighting for lower levels beside the pots of upper levels. I'm often toying with ducted lights to take the heat away reliably. It's just an area of interest though. Tents are 200cm so 100cm is a better target. Which is proving no problem at all.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
They were vegged in the 2x3 area and went in here about touching the lights. They were then snapped down, provided the cuttings that will one day replace them and were put to sleep for their first 12 hours. Then the picture was taken. All within 24 hours

Letting them come up before snapping them down is a good way to get them wide and low. You can't easily grow them in this shape as the middle wants to grow upwards. Stopping the lateral growth a screen of green is known for. Much easier to let them come up, with a reasonable number of arms, then Wham. Flatten them to this profile in one hit.

I have some tatty leaves as I missed a watering. I should really improve my game by stripping out a lot of the little bits to keep just the larger heads.

Drop That Sound

Sweet dreams! Haha, nice work my man!

little-monsters-blu-ray-cover.jpg

Attachments

• little-monsters-blu-ray-cover.jpg
    little-monsters-blu-ray-cover.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 108

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Hey DTS, nice to see you again.
Lads :)

I swapped out my extractor for an EC one. The inlet side was a little loud, so using a couple of duct adapters and some egg crate foam, I made that little mess. The adapters actually 125mm on the 100mm fan, so centered with three screws, just pinching the fan, finger tight. It's rough, but it was just laying about. I used a spectrum analyser app, just off screen to the right. I lost 6db! that's 75% of the noise recorded over there. 75% is huge. Though I know a short length of hardpipe is pretty good, I didn't have any. So here it is.. my unsightly but effective acoustic dampener

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210527_085858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	17866416

The fan is good. I put the screen in, scaled 1-10 and there is a little knob with a green cap out the side. You can just see it.
The rhyno isn't half empty, but does turn from carbon to open cell foam at the ends. So smell comes out unless gaffer taped up. It's alright though, I have a decent filter in the tent. Two filters :)

Edit: It's worth noting that it all hangs from the pole, then the pole is on partially stretched elastic cord. With the old 6" fan I could put my ear to the shelf and hear nothing. With this 4" ec it's overkill. It's nice to put things together on the floor though. Then rope them to a pole, and hoist that up to ultimately suspend the lot off a couple of elasticated cords. Especially when it's 2 meters of fans, filters and silencers you want keeping straight.