What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop Rebuild 2020

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I spent a couple hours working on these cabinets today. Hit everything up with some 120 grit and a palm sander. I need some wood filler to fill the screw holes and then I'll get a couple coats of primer on them.
picture.php

I got my darkroom louvers this week, here is one in front of the door. I need to figure out how I am going to install these in the doors.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
So today my dad came over. First thing he did was sand the mud and tape work my buddy did while I donned my mask and went to the hardware store. Then he gave me a lesson on how to apply the joint compound and make it smooth. After I did half a wall, he went home with a couple of Cherry Tart clones and I continued working. I got another wall and a half done. I'm about to knock out the rest of the wall room this morning.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Knocked out the rest of the flower room this morning. The ceiling ended up with a texture because a) it was hard to do a smooth texture over my head and b) who is going to be looking at the ceiling anyway?
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Got the cabinets and flower room prepped and primed yesterday. I hope to get the flower room painted this weekend. I'm trying to focus on finishing the flower room. I still need paint, a door, and trim. Then I'll likely move the 2'x4' tent in there to finish up while I finish the veg and lung rooms.
picture.php

I've been thinking about adding some color to the room, I picked up some swatches. I really liked the twilight blue, even thought it is a bit dark. I'm thinking about using that for the lung room walls, with the blue arrow on the ceiling and blue arrow on the ceiling. The veg room I thought about doing the secluded garden, it is a fitting name and I like the color. I'm debating painting the cabinets with wet pavement and the doors with orange glaze.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I spent a few minutes on my lunch break playing with a little bit of color. First I played with different colors on the walls leaving the cabinets and trim all the same color. I also played with some color on the ceiling and cabinets, but I think I like the white cabinets in the first three images. What do you all think?

Blue Arrow
picture.php

Secluded Garden
picture.php

Deep Twilight Blue
picture.php

Blue Arrow ceiling with Wet Pavement on the cabinets
picture.php

Wet Pavement on the ceiling with Blue Arrow on the cabinets
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Playing around with colors in the veg room too. Thats the Orang Glaze on the door. I may just do the whole room white like the flower room, still undecided.

Blue Arrow
picture.php

Secluded Garden
picture.php

Deep Twilight Blue
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I finally got a little bit of time to work on the workshop again. I've been very busy lately between work, home school, day care, and my normal cooking and cleaning. I took advantage of the nice weather and got my cabinet doors all painted yesterday. My daughter, of course, had a 100 questions. "What are you doing?" "Why are you painting those" "What are they" etc. After I got them painted and they were dry to the touch, I put up some shelf liner on the boxes in the shelves and removed the painter's tape from around the boxes. Then I put all the hardware back and the doors on.
picture.php

The whole time I was putting on the cabinets I was cursing the flat head screws. These damn flat head screws took a job that should have only take me about 30 minutes and made it take about 120 minutes. First issue with a flat head is it is difficult to index the screw head. A flat head only has two positions that will work, while a phillips head screw has four positions. Another issue with these flat head screws was that half of them were painted. As if using a flat head wasn't hard enough without the paint. I tried using a drill on them, but that was laughable at best. I was going to buy new hardware just so I wouldn't have to fuck with these flat heads, but when I saw the line at Lowes I decided against it. Fortunately, I shouldn't have to remove these doors again for quite some time. By then, believe me, I will be using a phillips head!

Oddity

I was just recently dealing with flat head screws on duct clamps so I learned that same lesson recently - never doing that again hah.

On the plus side the cabinets turned out great, Reiko!

buzzmobile

Veteran
This magnetic drill bit holder has proven its worth to me. The black part is a sliding sleeve that stabilizes the screw as it is being driven. It will definitely make a slotted screw easier to drive. Philips head screws are even easier to work with it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dewalt.jpg
    dewalt.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 39

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
This magnetic drill bit holder has proven its worth to me. The black part is a sliding sleeve that stabilizes the screw as it is being driven. It will definitely make a slotted screw easier to drive. Philips head screws are even easier to work with it.

View Image

Thanks Buzz, if I ever have to take them off again, I'll remember that!

I got a few more hours to work in the workshop. The tape and mud are complete in the veg room now. It is starting to go a little faster now as I get the hang of it.
picture.php

I even tackled the extraction outlet. Not bad, I'm sure the texture will hide a lot of my mistakes.
picture.php

And this is why I wanted to get these cabinets finished. They are where I store my stash. The bottom jars are what I have left, the top jars are all empty. They were all full when I started this project in January.
picture.php

Fixer

A word of advice, if you value your time throw all of you flat head screws away. Then throw all of your philips head screws away (except sheetrock screws.) In the US there is a brand of Torx head or star drive screws, called GRK. There are other brands but GRK are my favorite. Square drive screws are also decent but less available.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
My dad came over today with the hopper and compressor. After a little playing around, we got a thick texture put up in the veg room. The hardest part was the clean up really.
picture.php

I even found the motivation to tape and mud a couple more walls. I need to pull out the workbench so I can get the corner behind it. I'll need to pull it out to texture too. I still need to tape and mud the ceiling and edges. It is going a lot quicker as I get more practice.
picture.php

picture.php

Most likely I will put two coats of primer in the veg room next. After that I will put up two coats of exterior flat white like I did in the flower room. In the flower room, I did a smooth texture. For the veg room I'm not so worried about light reflectivity etc. It's just a few mothers and clones in there really.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
It is not often that I will work on the workshop while the kiddo is here, but I've been on a roll lately. Today I got everything ready to primer the veg room while the kiddo was at mom's. So after the kiddo went to bed at 10:00, I changed clothes and got two quick coats of primer in there. I left the door open with a couple of fans blowing in there. It should dry pretty well overnight. It's starting to look like a room.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts