What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Big L.E.D. Driver Discussion -

Klompen

As I recently got back into growing and started learning all about LEDs, I have discovered that that choice of ballasts can be even more complicated than the choice of the leds themselves.

So if I could get some submissions here for a ballast thread that would be great. Anything about how ballasts are made, how they're used, what brands to buy, how to fix them, and tips and tricks related to them(ballast safety being one example).

Klompen

That does seem overly semantic, but if there's a way to change the thread title I will do so. I get that ballasts generally create an increased voltage(even if temporary) whereas drivers generally produce a lower voltage. Both function as a current regulator though. My use of the term is probably more a result of my age than anything. HID and fluorescent used to be everything.

Koondense

Veteran
It's technical terminology, ballasts make pulses, drivers are mostly DC.
Would be useful to see which led configurations pair with which drivers to get some x par value or similar metrics.

Cheers

Klompen

Yes! That would be great. MeanWell makes a horticultural ballast line, but does it actually perform better for plants?

indagroove

Veteran
Yes! That would be great. MeanWell makes a horticultural ballast line, but does it actually perform better for plants?

It's more efficient that some of their other lines, but plants don't care too much about that, except that it means they get a few more photons using the same wattage.

HLG is currently working on making their own driver, which should be available in about four months. I'm not sure it they are collaborating with Meanwell, Inventronics, or someone else.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It's more efficient that some of their other lines, but plants don't care too much about that, except that it means they get a few more photons using the same wattage.

HLG is currently working on making their own driver, which should be available in about four months. I'm not sure it they are collaborating with Meanwell, Inventronics, or someone else.
Meanwell already makes the HLG series drivers, do those have nothing to do with HLG the lighting company? I know I have an HLG driver for my qb288 double and I figured it was made by meanwell for HLG specifically?

indagroove

Veteran
Meanwell already makes the HLG series drivers, do those have nothing to do with HLG the lighting company? I know I have an HLG driver for my qb288 double and I figured it was made by meanwell for HLG specifically?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is a happy coincidence, based on what I've heard. The HLG series is is a high efficiency driver (up to 96% efficient), which is why HLG uses the Meanwell HLG-54h series drivers in a lot of their fixtures. They do also use other drivers from time to time as well. I also have HLG-54h drivers powering my lights, but the less expensive XLG series would certainly do the trick as well. The XLG series is less efficient, has a slightly shorter warranty, and is also less expensive. They come in a few different voltage outputs, so check the specs closely to match your needs if you pick the XLG series. Here's a list of LED driver series which could potentially work for different applications: https://www.meanwell.com/productSeries.aspx?i=24&c=6#tag-6-24

If you listen to the recent GML podcast you can hear Steven from HLG talking about the upcoming drivers they plan to start using in the new Scorpion light in about 4 months. Once they get that done the Scorpion Rspec will deliver 650watts, instead of the 600watts the first release will be limited at. Apparently there is some issue with the voltage and current of the rspec boards vs diablo, which causes the 600w limit with the rspec boards, but the diablo doesn't have the same issue due to voltage differences.

indagroove

Veteran
That does seem overly semantic, but if there's a way to change the thread title I will do so. I get that ballasts generally create an increased voltage(even if temporary) whereas drivers generally produce a lower voltage. Both function as a current regulator though. My use of the term is probably more a result of my age than anything. HID and fluorescent used to be everything.

Call me a purist, but I believe semantics are important. I bet Gypsy could work some magic on the thread title if so inclined..

OK - Sticky Ballast Thread now -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Call me a purist, but I believe semantics are important. I bet Gypsy could work some magic on the thread title if so inclined..

- OK - I let my creative juices co-mingle for a while - and came up with - 'The Big Ballast/Driver Discussion -' - but can always change the title of the thread - if a better one comes along -

Dion

- OK - I let my creative juices co-mingle for a while - and came up with - 'The Big Ballast/Driver Discussion -' - but can always change the title of the thread - if a better one comes along -

Please use the word driver or led driver
Ballast sounds like we don't know what we are talking about and there are in fact very many knowledgeable ppl here

Also there are plenty spreadsheets around(I have a few for sure) that match drivers to led configurations

Alas the meanwell XLG range is pretty much as good as it gets at the moment for cost and efficiency

I doubt there will be a better led driver within the next 5 years

The xlg range has some secret watts, Easter egg style (If U get the gamer reference), where U can unlock an extra 20% with the right electrical set up

Also this has been covered in detail

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=304279

:woohoo:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Please use the word driver or led driver
Ballast sounds like we don't know what we are talking about and there are in fact very many knowledgeable ppl here
:woohoo:

- Point taken - I added L.E.D. to the title -

indagroove

Veteran
Alas the meanwell XLG range is pretty much as good as it gets at the moment for cost and efficiency

I'm trying to understand how you can rank the XLG series above the HLG series. The XLG series is 6% less efficient and has a 2-year shorter warranty. Don't get me wrong, it's a great driver if you want to same some money on your start up costs, but in my mind the HLG series is undoubtedly superior. I'm willing to change my mind on that if you can persuade me with data.

Here are some quick specs on the two different lines, taken from Meanwell.com:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot - 2020-10-01T130030.855.png
    Screenshot - 2020-10-01T130030.855.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot - 2020-10-01T130005.005.png
    Screenshot - 2020-10-01T130005.005.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 102

Dion

I'm trying to understand how you can rank the XLG series above the HLG series. The XLG series is 6% less efficient and has a 2-year shorter warranty. Don't get me wrong, it's a great driver if you want to same some money on your start up costs, but in my mind the HLG series is undoubtedly superior. I'm willing to change my mind on that if you can persuade me with data.

Here are some quick specs on the two different lines, taken from Meanwell.com:

View Image

View Image
1st I loved ur question thanks

Gotta dig deeper, I can't be arsed screen shotting the whole line up and making a spreadsheet to prove a point

Most ppl here are in the USA so at that voltage arnt even getting %90 efficiency with the hlg drivers
Xlg dims to off, hlg to %10
Cost is much less for the xlg and 3 year warranty vs 5 year warranty means nothing
If U didn't install it in a hot location it will run 10 years
If too hot only 5

Sure the HLG has slightly better specs I agree, if run on 230v

picture.php

picture.php

2nd feels like a kick in the guts that this thread is a sticky even though it has no content and especially as those who decided it was worth a sticky have over looked the years of work ive put in here

Dion

You should copy/paste all the content of your thread in here ;)

Cheers

Hahaha I was going to ask you to help me explain how when U don't fill the wattage of the hlg the efficiency goes down as per chart but the xlg always runs at max as it adjusts it's max current depending on volts so U always get best case efficiency from the xlg

But yeah can't be bothered any more

I'll just go back to being sarcastic

Great thread, very informative, lots of info here, glad there is finally a thread that explains all this

:tumbleweed: