What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amare SE450+uvb

Borderliner

After reading up on new led tech and seeing the results of the grow here on imag I setteled on Amare for my 4x4 closet grow. Added t5 54w coral plus and ati 54w actinic lights.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fem Malawi and Fem Zamdelica from ACE seeds and one Barny Farms tangerine dream ( c99xg13).

6th week 11.5/12.5 veg'd just over 3 months 14/10. 35-36" tall now. 24-26" at flip for the african girls and for the tangerine d 22" at the flip and now 26." For the tight internodal length and manageable size in a 4x4 closet I credit the Amaire.

One Zamdelica was quite leggy so keeping her in a smaller pot and bending the top over evened out the canopy nicely.

Looks like I have one column pheno looking like the first to finish the cola is bigger than a beer cup and long as my forearm. Smells woody.

Second Malawi is branchy loaded with buds and dripping in resin. No kidding the most I've seen but only done half dozen grows. Smells woody and oily.

3 fem Zamdeica. 2 are bushy with one very much larger so maybe it's the golden tiger pheno. All smell anise and woody.

last Zam is the thai pheno with narrow pale green thin leaves and the poorest eater of the lot.

heat is not issue room temp 65-77F. It's winter here. the 4 built in heat fans and one wall fan pointing at it do the job.

[/FONT]

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have lots of experience using aquarium hot5 tubes prior to LEDs

The 450 has all the blues you need. More does not help and could be counterproductive, as would too much N during flower

Borderliner

The 450 has all the blues you need. More does not help and could be counterproductive, as would too much N during flower

hey thanks man. I copied bits here and there I thought about that but didn't follow through. Yeah, their over feed a bit even with feedings ec 0.8 but the thai pheno is looking about how I've seen others except for the compact size part of it.

Borderliner

Hey PetFlora, checked my notes on this grow. Had to cause off the top of my head couldn't remember why I added the extra t5s. I got this idea from Riddlem's journal. The idea is try encourage early amber. Need uvb, sulfur based nutes, and a strain that carries the gene for early amber.

From Riddlem I got the actinic bulb promotes increased potency, coral plus promotes increaded trich production. Man all of them are resin laiden and one is just crazy so would think it's working.

I don't know enough about it but it's possible with the Amare blue it would be too much. The blue leds are on the secondary switch and they advised turning that on the last couple weeks to harden off the buds. Riddlem advocates to run uvb starting in veg to develope uvb receptors in the plants.

Last edited:

Borderliner

Was a bit hesitant to post here in led section as you guys pretty much know you stuff. So hoping to get feedback and your ideas

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey PetFlora, checked my notes on this grow. Had to cause off the top of my head couldn't remember why I added the extra t5s. I got this idea from Riddlem's journal. The idea is try encourage early amber. Need uvb, sulfur based nutes, and a strain that carries the gene for early amber.

From Riddlem I got the actinic bulb promotes increased potency, coral plus promotes increaded trich production. Man all of them are resin laiden and one is just crazy so would think it's working.

I don't know enough about it but it's possible with the Amare blue it would be too much. The blue leds are on the secondary switch and they advised turning that on the last couple weeks to harden off the buds. Riddlem advocates to run uvb starting in veg to develope uvb receptors in the plants.

I start seedlings/clones under the mono rings, then add CoBs once they are on their way. I have tried turning CoBs off the last 5-10 days before harvest, but results are inclusive

Borderliner

I start seedlings/clones under the mono rings, then add CoBs once they are on their way. I have tried turning CoBs off the last 5-10 days before harvest, but results are inclusive

Pet Flora thanks good to know. When I turn them on it raises temps maybe 5F. so it's a balancing act for me as the closet is feed an ac duct from outside floor vent and it's winter here so not option at this point.

less bushy malawi one. 36" 6 wk 11.5/12.5

check out size of lower buds

Borderliner

zamdelica thai pheno

zamdelica thai pheno

this one usually doubles in size at flip. she did less than a 12" at flip.

internodal length 1"

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

http://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-015-0156-y

This link is an overview of UVB's effects on plants. It is not a stoner study about how UVB makes killer trichomes, it is about the biology of UVB and plants.
It covers the UVB receptors the plants contain, along with much other information.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I am posting this before the article simply because I think it is a valid question, does the uvb not actually require to have a higher altitude and lower atmospheric pressure in order to be most effective not just uvb added at any atmosphere having the same effect?

Borderliner

I am posting this before the article simply because I think it is a valid question, does the uvb not actually require to have a higher altitude and lower atmospheric pressure in order to be most effective not just uvb added at any atmosphere having the same effect?

Limeygreen, good question. maybe someone can help out.

Borderliner

http://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-015-0156-y

This link is an overview of UVB's effects on plants. It is not a stoner study about how UVB makes killer trichomes, it is about the biology of UVB and plants.
It covers the UVB receptors the plants contain, along with much other information.

Phaeton, interesting read. "Signaling pathways usually include negative feedback regulation to balance their output. In the case of UVR8 signaling, an exaggerated response would result in impaired growth and dwarfism (as illustrated, for example, by experimental UVR8 overexpression" The compact size of my girls I had attributed in part to the Amare in general and this article suggests a specific means. And I have the added t5's.

That I used a reported method claiming increased trichs, increased resin and indeed got plants with the most resin I've seen in my limited growing experience does not prove the method. At least, I'd have to repeat the grow exact as possible and if then got same results would say this method is very favorable to promote resin production.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When doing my testing dwarfism was a problem with every strain tested at one point or another. In general Sativas take more UVB before losing yield. Maximum creeper effect came in for sensitive plants at 120 uw with 20% loss of yield. The current room uses a compromise of 50 uw.
And just a few minutes ago the smoke test of a new lavender plant came out strongly creeper, first one in a while with this powerful an effect. Makes it all worthwhile and I have a special jar so it does not get mixed up with regular bud.

As far as atmospheric pressure, I have no chamber but I did duplicate the intensity that would be found on top of Denali (I can see the mountain out my window) which I figured at 2700 uw. The plants not only died, they were brown in three days.

Marijuana seems to have typical reactions to UVB same as other plants evolved in clear sky and/or mountainous areas. One of the stabilizing chemicals causes the delay in onset and slows the metabolizing of THC, same as protecting against breakdown by UVB.

Borderliner

When doing my testing dwarfism was a problem with every strain tested at one point or another. In general Sativas take more UVB before losing yield. Maximum creeper effect came in for sensitive plants at 120 uw with 20% loss of yield. The current room uses a compromise of 50 uw.
And just a few minutes ago the smoke test of a new lavender plant came out strongly creeper, first one in a while with this powerful an effect. Makes it all worthwhile and I have a special jar so it does not get mixed up with regular bud.

As far as atmospheric pressure, I have no chamber but I did duplicate the intensity that would be found on top of Denali (I can see the mountain out my window) which I figured at 2700 uw. The plants not only died, they were brown in three days.

Marijuana seems to have typical reactions to UVB same as other plants evolved in clear sky and/or mountainous areas. One of the stabilizing chemicals causes the delay in onset and slows the metabolizing of THC, same as protecting against breakdown by UVB.

way to go on the lavander. what light set up are you using to get 50uw? Intetresting when you supplied it plants died and fried. pot tends to grow well in those areas around the world.

I camped, fished, hiked all over that road to Denali for 5 years. First time a game warden saw me fishing in one of the streams crossing the road as he flew over. He landed the plane and tracked me down to make sure wasn't fishing for salmon that early in the season. I had a trout lure on so was safe.

UVB is stronger at higher elevations, but elevation related environmental issues have not been ruled out. However, trichrome production is not relegated to high elevation areas only, so UVB levels alone are not a major factor. The light spectrum has more impact than UVB alone. For instance Infrared light has a positive impact on trichrome production during bloom phase and vegetative phase as well. UVB is the source of sunburn and the plant reacts to that with protecting itself. Another way of creating stress is to pinch the stalks. Pinching does not hurt them but it makes them produce trichromes for healing purposes.

I love BOG seeds. when I saw your sig I had to add something. great grow you have and nice lights, btw. I use DIY COB's and supplemental lights like a commercial made light with blues, whites, reds, IR, etc, and timing and controls.
namaste

Borderliner

UVB is stronger at higher elevations, but elevation related environmental issues have not been ruled out. However, trichrome production is not relegated to high elevation areas only, so UVB levels alone are not a major factor. The light spectrum has more impact than UVB alone. For instance Infrared light has a positive impact on trichrome production during bloom phase and vegetative phase as well. UVB is the source of sunburn and the plant reacts to that with protecting itself. Another way of creating stress is to pinch the stalks. Pinching does not hurt them but it makes them produce trichromes for healing purposes.

I love BOG seeds. when I saw your sig I had to add something. great grow you have and nice lights, btw. I use DIY COB's and supplemental lights like a commercial made light with blues, whites, reds, IR, etc, and timing and controls.
namaste

Avidlerner, have pinched the heck out of some girls but not these and not seen anything like this. while would say the effect on this run among the aftricans is favorable the tangerine dream is poor. it's underdeveloped and without the many branches it's typically found. It grew as one column with few branches. The buds are big, coated and resinous. Just too much of dwarft effect.

Thanks about the lights the Amare se450 got good reviews here on imag a year or so ago and just had a poor run with heat issues so was up for it.

Bog seeds were some of the first tried after checking around imag. Got a tray of his Sour Lifesaver seedlings now waiting on the africans to finish.

Latest posts

Latest posts