What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk HML/Coco/Blumat understairs stealth micro grow

Chloemobile

It's a veritable forest down there. Looks like controlled chaos :) they are looking super happy. Glad all is well

=D

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Vukman, tomorrow they enter their 6th week into flower. They grew vigorous, though I'd say they look like breeds needing 10-12 weeks in flower to finish.

They look happy, with and perky dark green leaves even after the "last resort training" I had to do to even the canopies.

Thanks for the support chloemobile!!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Here's the weekly photo update...

They'be been flowering six weeks, today they enter their seventh...

picture.php

Next time I'll do better SCROG-wise, I promise!

picture.php

Side view of a nug branch, they're starting to swell:

picture.php

Top view of buds:

picture.php

They're definitely starting to produce some resin as can be seen in the shots. They all look very healthy, lush green, great feeling to the touch, and the scrubber is doing a very good job as when I opened the chamber the smell was grrrreeat!

I feel, and that was confirmed by the mate that gave me the cuts that they're being slow in flowering, and resin production, so it's clear this setup needs more red.

Still hesitating in adding 60 additional Watts of far reds, or leaving them alone to finish the experiment and see the results for later comparison with an upgraded setup. right now the plus is some nugs are a couple inches apart from the LEDs, no bleaching. I'm pretty sure even adding 3W far red leds will change this, and being my first, and far from well achieved SCROG I've already reached the vertical limits.

Blumat's are doing great, as the Canna A+B plus Drip Clean feed... I just check the reservoir level daily, PH/EC is always spot on, only work I'm doing is topping the reservoir once per week, this is truly low-maintenance, which is great as I'm being unable to do any serious work, I'll do some leaf tidying up ASAP.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Very nice looking plants mate and you have quite a small jungle there :)

Finish this grow without adding more red spectrum and do it for the next run, to have some data to compare.

Good job ! :good:

vukman

Veteran
Heheheh.. you know I always joke around and I'm not gonna stop now... so..........Got a new name for you..

Repuk, the Jungle Grower!! :D

As for the length of the flower cycle, yes, I would have to agree with you that they will need some extra time to fully develop my friend. Oh well.. we all know that some strains take longer so.......what can you do.

I too was hoping to have a bit of the new crop as a New Year's celebratory lungful but it just isn't to be..:(.

No matter, it's the end result that counts and judging from what we see in these pictures, the end result will be just fine....Yes sir,,,,just fine indeed..:yes:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
hempfield, that's what I'm going to do, finish with the LED lamp as is...

vukman this is a JCROG! Jungle-like SCROG! :)

thanks chloemobile!
They're looking much better now in terms of swelling and ripening, had the blumats set on the wimpy side, I couldn't monitor them and fell short...

last time I tender them I refilled the reservoir I added Atami ATA-XL, EC was 2.0, and set the blumats on max but w/o having runoff on the pot dishes... they're eating like 4L per day now and the swelling was noticeable. I did major defoliation on dead leaves, pruning also lower buds and bottom leaves to ensure good air circulation.

I think they gonna need 2, maybe 3 weeks more, what do you think?

Here they are entering their 8th week:
picture.php

Nug detail, getting frosty:

picture.php

Wonderful smell!!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
They need more time indeed. I don't even look at trichs but wait for bud swell and new white hairs to stop pushing out.

They look GREAT man!

Looking real good

I have looked at blumats but I still go back and forth because I do love hand watering. I guess if I had a life though I would want a more automated system lol.

can't wait to see how they finish up

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
They need more time indeed. I don't even look at trichs but wait for bud swell and new white hairs to stop pushing out.

They look GREAT man!

Looking real good

Thanks! :)

medmaker420 said:
I have looked at blumats but I still go back and forth because I do love hand watering. I guess if I had a life though I would want a more automated system lol.

I'm very restricted in terms of tender time. Some weeks pass by and I have to steal the time to just have a quick glance at the Res level, or to refill it quickly.

I use coco and even if I had plenty of time to tender them, I'd still use blumats. The way I see them isn't as a hand or time saver, but a tendering hand that is up every second of the day to deliver nutes/water just as the plant needs it, and only when the plant needs it. I'll still handwater, but only the "special" nutes every now and then.

Phychotron

They look GREAT man!

Looking real good

I agree with you on bud swell as a harvest indicator, Everyone is all about the triches, but I've always gone by how the buds look. Budding is the last step of the flower period.

I'm using the blumats and they are amazing. easy to use/adjust. Setting up a manifold can be a bitch though, as they have short hose on the units (gotta buy a 90 ft roll for $45). When I had 9 plants in a 3x3 It was a bit tough keeping the manifold in just the right spot an moving around the plants was a bitch. Thats one of the main reasons I went with the 6 in 5 gallon instead of 9 in 3 gallon.

I use a 5 gallon bucket as a res tank and go through that once a week. I'll top it off at the end of the first week, but then actually take the tank out and wash it. The remaining nutrients can look a little strange by that time, but not granulated like I was getting with Advanced Nutrients. A little film on the tank, but its minimal. I use the cannzym with it, and ran out of boost. When I used the boost with it the tank needed to be cleaned out once a week.

Oh, and when I flush/start I'll put just a gallon of plain water in the tank and wait for it to start going down before I fill it up with nutrients, as they can sit up to a week or two before being used. I was a little concerned about letting the system run out of water, but as long as you get to it before the medium dries out you can just fill the tank back up.

planet earth hydro has the best price for blumats, 12 for $75, their site is cheaper than their ebay listings ;) definitely worth a try.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
So blumats are the perfect choice for a grower with no spare time ?! :good:

I think would be better to have this subject documented by someone or many others and to have it "Sticky" between the most important threads of ICMAG.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
yep, blumats are perfect! I summarized the info with links to relevant posts in the first posts of this thread.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Happy New Year to all!!

Have took the girls out to tender them, doing some defoliation, leaf tucking, popcorn pruning, and bud inspection/opening looking for humid spots.

Hand fed them with molasses (ATA flavor), and refilled the reservoir @ EC1.8 (they had 2.1EC the last 10 days).

Added an additional PC fan for better air circulation.

Looks like the white ratio is fine for the plant to be healthy and develop trichs. For the next crop I'll add 60W of additional 3W 660nm LEDs to see the difference.

Top buds are an inch from the LEDs, no signs of bleaching at all.

Starting their 10th week:

picture.php

Vertical shot: it shows my poor attempt at SCROGging, but it can be seen XM-L more than fair penetration

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Atomic Hazes bud shots:

picture.php

picture.php

Amnesia Haze bud Shot:

picture.php

Somango bud shots:

picture.php

Top somango bud shot:

picture.php

The somango looks to me as being close to chop day, is the only one showing that mag? deficiency and the buds have packed some serious weight.

All have tons of resin, specially the Atomic Hazes, and have a yummy citrusy pungent aroma but the somango, which has an additional mango or papaya-like "tone" over that.

I'm thinking in this weekend as chop day for the somango (70 days), the Amnesia Haze looks like it needs more time, maybe a couple weeks more as spec by the breeders. The Atomic Hazes could be in the same boat, though they look they will need less time.

If I don't chop this weekend I won't be able to do it until the next one passes.
Advice please!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thanks for your interest jubiare!!

Hiya all! :)

Monday (Jan 28th) was chop time for the Atomic Hazes and the Amnesia Haze, I intended to chop all of them but didn't have time, so the somango was chopped on 31st.

I had the reservoir with plain water and Drip Clean for their last 5 days.

I couldn't monitor all the drying process until this monday, and as a result I think they dried too much. The somango drying was better in this aspect as it was drying three days less.

Prior to the chop:

picture.php

Notes from the experience, after the chopping-manicuring and drying:

The Atomic Hazes had a bazillion leaves, this line (or this pheno) isn't well suited for SCROG (or for my HML spectrum). It was a royal PITA to defoliate, and buds were fluffy.

Not repeating with this one, very poor leaf to bud ratio, at least for SCROG or low intensity light growing. To be honest, their root balls didn't fill the pots, whereas the Somango and Amnesia Haze root balls filled the pots completely, so these would have benefit with more vegging, maybe a week or two more.

My conclusion is these plants didn't develop well, why? maybe due to light intensity or spectrum.... they were clones.

A 2 liter mason jar (the one at the rear) was filled, with some packing, but weight was 27 grams :yoinks:

Amnesia Haze, a plant from seed, developed much more serious buds, in terms of size, weight and height... it was a joy to defoliate and manicure it. Buds looked well developed and ripened, though a week or two more would have been beneficial for it.

Filled a couple 1.7L mason jars with it, total weight: 50,6 grams.

Somango looked like the happier, and more vigorous, was a real joy to have it trimmed, and buds were big, round and tightly packed.

Filled a couple 1.7L jars, 74 grams.

so total dry weight: 151.5 grams (1/3 pound)

picture.php

I'm happy with the final numbers in terms of grams per watt, also because white LEDs were a mere inch from most top buds and no bleaching or burning had place, which was lucky because being sativas they caught me off-guard...

Now comes the testing, I have tested some samples, bud it isn't cured and until a couple weeks have passed I don't want to make any opinion; right now all I can say is the high is cerebral with no body-stone (yuppie!!)

One thing was true with all three varieties: a very strong and pungent smell, looks like the LEDs make them smell more! I burped the jars this morning and it was a real punch-in-the-nose, and all the house reeked!!

Atomic Haze and Amnesia Haze have similar smells, guess they're typical Haze, the somango has a very different, distinctive aroma.

I think my HML needs more far-red, buds took longer to develop and ripen, and some plants (Atomics) didn't fully develop.

Resin production was good but not great, though the buds are sticky as hell even dried.

Waiting for the mini hygrometers to arrive to check the jars...

positivity

Veteran
Nice DIY!

Can't believe I missed this grow. The hml threw me off

Nice to see the white spectrum grew such a high gpw. I like your idea of supplementing red just enough until bleaching occurs. I've got a similar DIY in the process of being built. Looks like cree whites with some reds on dimmers could be the homerun spectrum, or at least close

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Time for a third HML iteration: gonna add 4 Cree CXA3070 Z2 3000K @ 1050mA (about 100W, 25W per COB).

I like sativas, specially the most potent hazes, and this setup, even with the additional reds wasn't making it. So to truly test I'm sprouting a couple Medical Seeds 2046, a pure sativa cross (120 flowering days)

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Time for a third HML iteration: gonna add 4 Cree CXA3070 Z2 3000K @ 1050mA (about 100W, 25W per COB).

I like sativas, specially the most potent hazes, and this setup, even with the additional reds wasn't making it. So to truly test I'm sprouting a couple Medical Seeds 2046, a pure sativa cross (120 flowering days)

I'm pulling a chair in the first row ! :lurk:

This should be a very interesting thread for this winter.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts