What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Retailers...

inc0gnit0

Old school HID user about to move out west and hopefully be able to grow my own meds. So you guys think the incredible increase in cost is worth it and the bud is as good if not better? Forgive me I perused the thread I'm in a hurry and wanted to get in a quick query. What about the diy strips I'm hearing about?

RB56

Veteran
Old school HID user about to move out west and hopefully be able to grow my own meds. So you guys think the incredible increase in cost is worth it and the bud is as good if not better? Forgive me I perused the thread I'm in a hurry and wanted to get in a quick query. What about the diy strips I'm hearing about?
Don't know about the DIY strips, but I'm sold on LED. Small time friends and family grow with one veg and one flower space. LED in both. I'll never go back. Reduced electricity costs. Much less waste heat to deal with. Less of a point heat source, if you worry about IR detection. Ideal for scrog. I have better quality and quantity since I switched. I don't think there's any doubt anymore that the only downside is upfront cost.

psyphish

Veteran

Depends on which HID? HPS is total crap, but LEDs aren't as good as CMH.

inc0gnit0

Don't know about the DIY strips, but I'm sold on LED. Small time friends and family grow with one veg and one flower space. LED in both. I'll never go back. Reduced electricity costs. Much less waste heat to deal with. Less of a point heat source, if you worry about IR detection. Ideal for scrog. I have better quality and quantity since I switched. I don't think there's any doubt anymore that the only downside is upfront cost.

This is what I'm hearing. Maybe I'll try em out if I get a good deal or my ballasts take a shit. Bit thanks for the info. I do know they work.

marmarb

Looking to flower out a 4x8 tent currently using 3x600 mag ballast what would be the best route if making the jump to led. Hlg 550vs are 850 but can grab two Mars ts3000 for the same price.

Vandenberg

Way back in the stone age the infrared radiant heat signature that HID ballasts and bulbs give off used be a possible giveaway that could earn ya a mandatory 5 year sentence for over 50 kids. 10 years for over 100. :shark:
I think they have phone apps that read the infrared radiation emanating from a structure now, it used to be a twenty thousand dollar device that the narcs used once they suspected you of being up to mischief.
Back in prohibition-ville they still use the technique, I'm sure.
I love led lights, indoor growing has come of age with these gizmo's.

Vandenberg :)

Vandenberg

What's the size of your grow area?

Vandenberg :)
ICMAG'S OFFICIAL ~DIY~ LINK-O-RAMA
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637

TedNugget

I’m looking to try an LED light for the first time. Coming from 600w HPS.

I don’t have a lot of ceiling height (about 6.5-7ft) so I need something that won’t need a lot of clearance between the light and the tops of the plants. I want something that can get within 12” or closer without an issue.

I just started researching LED lights so I’m still trying to figure out what is best.

What type of LED would need the least amount of space between it and the tops of the plants? Are strip LEDs better? COB? Quantum board?

It’ll be covering a 4’ x5’ space and I’ll eventually add a 2nd to cover a total of 4’ x 10’ (or maybe 5’ x 10’).

Also, how hard is DIY for someone totally new to it like me? I was looking at some of the DIY strip led designs over at LEDgardener, but that warning about parallel/constant voltage systems being for advanced users only kind of scared me a bit. I’d love to go with DIY and save a bunch of money.
Or maybe at least go with a DIY kit/package. Does anyone know if they still come with a warranty? Like the ChilLED x6 diy kit for example.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sunshine, 4 Mars TS 1000 and put the other 90 to a 4 plug extension cable and trip to the pub.

Dion

I’m looking to try an LED light for the first time. Coming from 600w HPS.

I don’t have a lot of ceiling height (about 6.5-7ft) so I need something that won’t need a lot of clearance between the light and the tops of the plants. I want something that can get within 12” or closer without an issue.

I just started researching LED lights so I’m still trying to figure out what is best.

What type of LED would need the least amount of space between it and the tops of the plants? Are strip LEDs better? COB? Quantum board?

It’ll be covering a 4’ x5’ space and I’ll eventually add a 2nd to cover a total of 4’ x 10’ (or maybe 5’ x 10’).

Also, how hard is DIY for someone totally new to it like me? I was looking at some of the DIY strip led designs over at LEDgardener, but that warning about parallel/constant voltage systems being for advanced users only kind of scared me a bit. I’d love to go with DIY and save a bunch of money.
Or maybe at least go with a DIY kit/package. Does anyone know if they still come with a warranty? Like the ChilLED x6 diy kit for example.

Quantum board kits U want a few of the lower wattage ones, maybe 4

Led gerdener doesn't know very much about leds actually, his designs are a great start but very basic I wouldn't stress too much the meanwell drivers are bullet proof and automatically switch off if U fuck up the wiring anyways

Diy is easy, check my thread in Sig I go over it all in detail

On the day it is as simple as macthing the colour of the wires if U get a kit

kub3r4

Does anyone have any experience with EasyGrow lights? Search shows only two threads, one in Italian and one in German subforum. ledsp, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }