What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone bought a generic Amazon LED recently?

KONY

Veteran
Seems to be some legit generics on there. Actual power draw is 640-660watts. Looks like great color spectrum. The possible warranty issues seem to be the big concern?

I got a source for ROI 680s at $700 a piece in state about 2 hour drive each way. So I figure if I do go the generic route, It needs to be under $500 to make the risk worth it, $450 would be better.

Thinking about these;
https://www.amazon.com/MEPELE-Lights,650-Aluminium-Commercial-Compatible/dp/B08B3X2W78/

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Growing-Fixture-Hydroponic-Greenhouse/dp/B07WHDS5WY/

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I bought a pair of these Carambola lights from ebay, and they work beautifully. I only need them to get the plants big enough for outdoor transplanting, but I have also taken a number of clones that rooted fine under this cheap, $62 light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39296212415...saAutpEALw_wcB

One thing I do to ensure the lights don't run for too long at a stretch, is that I position TWO lights over my seedlings, and use two separate timers to run them in turn, whereby every hour, one light toggles off to cool down, while the second light powers on, for just one hour, until the cycle repeats itself. I have a small fan connected into the same socket as one of the two lights, so the fan runs one hour on, followed by a cooldown period of one hour, around the clock, with the exception of four hours between midnight and 4am in the morning, when both lights and the fan, are off for the darkness cycle lasting 4 hours.

With your cheaper, off-brand lights, overheating and the attendant fire hazard, are the major concerns, which is why I connected each light through a separate timer that ensures neither light is left on for hours on end, getting hot.

KONY

Veteran
Newest one I have my eye on, just curious if they are waterproof or not;
https://www.voltlighting.com/fl1-ful...row-light-120v

I bought a pair of these Carambola lights from ebay, and they work beautifully. I only need them to get the plants big enough for outdoor transplanting, but I have also taken a number of clones that rooted fine under this cheap, $62 light.

One thing I do to ensure the lights don't run for too long at a stretch, is that I position TWO lights over my seedlings, and use two separate timers to run them in turn, whereby every hour, one light toggles off to cool down, while the second light powers on, for just one hour, until the cycle repeats itself. I have a small fan connected into the same socket as one of the two lights, so the fan runs one hour on, followed by a cooldown period of one hour, around the clock, with the exception of four hours between midnight and 4am in the morning, when both lights and the fan, are off for the darkness cycle lasting 4 hours.

With your cheaper, off-brand lights, overheating and the attendant fire hazard, are the major concerns, which is why I connected each light through a separate timer that ensures neither light is left on for hours on end, getting hot.

This Carambola light seems totally feasible, the only real downside with this model appears to be the coverage area. Really would need them every 3x3 area with no real spacing between the lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Carambola-Spe...dp/B08R5F3G7C/

Mike dub

C129F07E-2D95-438E-BA0C-F3B09AFA406A.jpeg
I bought this for a micro grow box, 12x12x30 inches. I don’t know how good this will be, but it was cheap.

Attachments

• C129F07E-2D95-438E-BA0C-F3B09AFA406A.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 51
  • C129F07E-2D95-438E-BA0C-F3B09AFA406A.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 46

Rageous

I bought this for 80 bucks and added it to my closet grow (which contains 3 diy cree cxb 3590s) around 150 watts putting it to close to 250.

UOIUXC QB 1000

so far I really like it. Its dimmable and does get a bit warm since it has no fan but I run a fan directly to my canopy/and space between plants and it stays normal. Since adding this to my closet my plants have been way happy. I will visit back to see what I yielded but it might be a little biased since I'm also using my diy builds. Overall tho. I'd recommend this light. It had the good Samsung 301 diodes and a dimmable mean well driver. All good things.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

Careful buddy. Most aging is caused by moving between hot and cold states. Early lights simply lost connections. Today, a light left on constantly can see no change, while a cycled one can be close to failure. Having lumen losses around 15% and a colour shift as the red fades.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

Careful buddy. Most aging is caused by moving between hot and cold states. Early lights simply lost connections. Today, a light left on constantly can see no change, while a cycled one can be close to failure. Having lumen losses around 15% and a colour shift as the red fades.

Offs X1 errors a plenty.

Here we go again

Error while saving content: %1$s

Error information: " 502 error Bad Gateway"Error while saving content: %1$s

Error information: " 502 error Bad Gateway"

I can't even post again, so edited here

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Offs X1 errors a plenty.

Here we go again

Error while saving content: %1$s