What's new

Green Led's

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was curios if green light was OK in the flower room?? My controler has green leds for the 120v/220v that are always on. Can I get a expert in this area to let me know If I should turn them off.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a responce. Im reposting it here. This is from guineapig

Green Light, if you can provide pure green light, does not affect the flowering period, you
should be able to use it without causing problems in flowering, which is what cannabis
growers are concerned with.

Recently they have done experiments with green light, and green light does play a role in
certain metabolic processes such as "shade avoidance." If I had to guess, I would say
that shining green light on a plant makes the plant say "I must be around so many green
plants, it must be hard for me to reach sunlight" and so it wiggles around laterally to
try to find new pockets of light. This would result in an increase in overall plant mass,
which is what experiments have proved in the past, but they didn't understand exactly
why plants grown with green light had more mass than plants grown without it.

I also think they have discovered a green-light receptor. When I worked with a scientist
who was a cryptochrome (the blue-light receptor) expert, she said that they were on the
hunt for a green-light receptor because there was experimental evidence that it exists.

There are probably other ways in which plants respond to green light, but they have not
been experimentally proven as of yet. I really don't believe that flower development can
be altered in any way by either increasing or decreasing the amount of green light shining on a plant.

I have to study on what "shade avoidance" means, I have only casually read about this
concept. I am not sure if that necessarily implies growth of lateral branches, or maybe
just slight twisting of the primary meristem, or whatever.

It would be an interesting side-by-side experiment to grow a plant with large amounts of
green light vs. a plant with small amounts (or virtually zero) green wavelength. All the
experiments I have read about saw an increase in plant mass with additional green light,
and came to the conclusion that a green light receptor must exist.

kind regards from guineapig

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im just concerned if the plant would reverse or hermie/nanners. If none of that happens then im fine with those Green led being on. I can still use my green led flash light I got at the hydro store to look for bugs when the lights go off.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey Hammerhead, not sure if they will affect them or not but I use a green led light called a GreenEye that was made for looking at plants in the night period. I would search around and compare your leds to that of the GreenEyes and see if there are similarities. I hope you find the answer to your question soon so that it doesn't cause you any stress and grow problems. Your plants always look nice by the way. Take care 1

Dingofriar

Interesting experimentation for $20 on some pure green LED 70 Xmas icicle lights or even single strand. Just would need to wrap up few paraphernalia gifts and set em under the ladies.
:xmastree:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 2 green led voltage displays in my load center. Supposedly ok for the flower room. I have read that a guy did a test with a green CFL. Here is his post..

This was from another forum
Now then as far as the Green Light is concerned.I did an experiment some 2 years ago,with a 13watt cfl green in color.I ran this light during my indoor grows during lights out period while in flower.It ran when the HID's went off..I might add that this experiment went on through 3 complete 12/12 cycles,with different strains..I can atest to the fact that there was,and is,NO ADVERSE effect on the plants what so ever.While I didn't read this info in any book or webpage,,I learned it from first hand experience.

Yea sure feel free to re-print the posts or quote them extensively.

Mainstream scientists refused to believe in the existence of a blue-light receptor.
They figured that they had found the only light receptor molecule in plants which
they called "Phytochrome," and they scoffed at all the research that pointed to the
existence of a blue-light receptor. When the evidence was overwhelming, there
was no way mainstream scientists could ignore the blue-light receptor, which was
called "Cryptochrome" because it was so cryptic, a fancy word for hard to find.

They might not have found the green light receptor, they might not have purified
the green light receptor and show the structure of the green light receptor, but
the evidence is very strong that it exists.

Also the researcher I worked for was convinced that a UV-A receptor and a UV-B
receptor existed. But for now we will stick to the discussion of Green light and
how it is received and utilized by the plant.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

guineapig

Veteran
Is it mentioned somewhere if your LCD light is pure green, like maybe if the ballast
came with some instructions that say "pure green light" so it won't mess with the
flowering period? If not, then probably the light has a little bit of yellow in it, if you
look really carefully, can you recognize any colours other than Green?

I do remember covering up red lights on power strips with lots of black tape, just to
be sure that no offensive red light was available to the plant during the flowering period.

Also, I think if you do a search, you will find special green lights for gardeners that allow
them access to their gardens during the dark period. I think I remember seeing these
for sale?

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I have a green led flashlight. These are common at the Hydro store. If you read that post above the guy used a green CFL. Theres nothing special about a green CFL..

Dingofriar

Threads like this is why I love IC so much... I'm closing up shop due to pack out & out of state move, but I'm learning from any past mistakes while acquiring proper knowledge, bettering my skills and practices from here & have up'd my game ffs! To bad I didn't find this site a year ago. Now I have no excuses for having the digitty set up that dreams are made of in near future!
:groupwave:
P.s. 5 mm wide angle pure green 100 count LED 4' X 6' NET for $32 at christmaslightsetc.com

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im not looking to light up my plants in there dark period. this discussion is just referring to green lights on in the dark period what effect will it have on flowering plants. Most of the info im finding says its OK..

Dingofriar

Rite I'm hammer. Don't mean to be cluttering your thread there then but I thought I saw something about increasing overall plant mass also and thought wow it comes in a 4' x 6' net. My head was spinning with the possibilities of my next set up.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
I've been going into my rooms in the dark period with a green light for 15 years now. It may be a quadruple layer of mountain dew bottle over a flashlight, or the 13 watt green cfl. In all my years i have never experienced any adverse effects from doing so. I've even had the green cfl just about on the plants in the dark(had powdery mildew pretty bad not too long ago). Not a single nanner, nothing.
Now don't get me wrong. I don't like doing it, and avoid it like the plague if i can. But when needed i do it.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've read several times over the last year or so that plants do use green light, but it is only after the levels of red and blue reception have maxed out. My question about it was whether this receptivity triggered a response that would continue after lights out and cause a problem like you are asking about, or if the green light reception only occurred in the presence of high levels of blue and red. I would think the latter, but.....

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I have green lights on my fan system that I use for closet grows. Made no difference to the plants, just the operator.

Latest posts

Latest posts