What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Danger! Polaroid LEDS crack and burn!

Medfinder

Chemon 91
wow woke up and one of the 3 polaroid LEDS must have caught on fire and when the circuit burned the solder joint power disconnected.

UL listed number475088 20 watt 1600 lumen 120/vac 2700k PLOA21-100.1600.20.70
pics

Attachments

• P1130245.JPG
    P1130245.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1130246.JPG
    P1130246.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 40
  • P1130247.JPG
    P1130247.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P1130248.JPG
    P1130248.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 42

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Wow that's terrifying. Hope you emailed them the pictures!! They should do a recall on those before anyone's house burns down

Cvh

Supermod
Thank for warning the community. I'm glad nothing serious happened.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Those lights are suitable for humid locations when the caps are on, but after removal of the caps, the protection is gone of course.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
True..cutting off the white globe is a modification..butthe heat of 20 watts inside an encapsulated dome or a can enclosure would be greater.

Good luck with your chinese manufactured lites

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Quite a bit of lumen depreciation when they get that hot.

I have not seen an LED lamp use as much as 20w to replace a 100. Just 80 lumen per watt. It's a lot of heat in that size package. We can do it with 9.5w now, and 12-14w is typical at the corner shop. Only in the states have a heard of 16 and even 18w being used, but 20w. That's as bad an LED as you can buy in any format.

You can see they have been well grilled for some time. It's not overnight damage. Seeing it on more than one makes me wonder if the EMI filter on the mains side is filtering noise from elsewhere. Something in the same extension lead perhaps. I would have a sniff about with a radio. Looking for interference.

EDIT: Being such an old design, they could never of been tested to this many hours service. Some LEDs can loose 15% of their output before the first crops over and that's the kind of crap being used in a 20w 100 replacement

buzzmobile

Veteran
That could have been a lot worse to learn that 20 watts was too much. I'm glad it was not a tragedy.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mine are 17.5 watts, not sure about that. No problems yet. Different company not the cheapest kind.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looked up reviews of the Polaroid and they were bad, with cracking of base and overheating. The dome was not removed. I looked up the FEIT electric LED that I have and all are positive. I think this is more to do with the brand than the voltage but lower is safer I am sure.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Polaroid really came to our attention with the Polaroid camera. The one that gave a hard copy, long before digital cameras. The arrival of digital cameras made them scramble for other markets. Today the brand appears on crap electronics. Walmart in the UK have their cheap tellies carry the brand. A once good name just used to sell rubbish.

The US renamed the 100w lamp, the 1500 lumen lamp to try and straighten up convention. The EU chose 1520. China serve both with whatever they ask for. We can make that 1500 with 9.5W now. Any further power consumption being used to make 1500 isn't making light, it's making more heat. Back to Walmart (asda) the basics range is 14W and the nice pretend filament lamp 12W. Has been a couple of years. The top notch stuff is making 160lm/w (155 in independent testing) by using 200lm/w san'an LEDs, with a nice looking spectrum. While Philips, one of our lighting hero's, keeps churning out rubbish. They did just step up and make theirs 13w but still a poor spectrum. They made the 200lm/w dubai lamp we can't get, but still sell their name rather than decent domestic lamps.

I find it dismal that eBay still stock and manage to sell lamps using 16W+ while amazon have rock bottom prices on 12.5W lamps. Here, 10 for £15 delivered. The Wally lamp is £1 though (in a twin pack at £2)

My soldering iron is 15W

Medfinder

Chemon 91
There gone...tossed.omly bought 3...what a wast on 10 bucks..

Here's that super rare indica Chemon 91 they were lighting.

​​​​​

Attachments

• 16179073959426983017548564445476.jpg
    16179073959426983017548564445476.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Latest posts