What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mystery double ended light turns off sometimes but not always

thailer

I bought a used light from someone who had only used the light about six months. It came with an enclosed hood to vent the lights heat and this ballast.

b51a3084-416b-4c2e-98e1-54b8aa371aa1-jpeg.241969
B51A3084-416B-4C2E-98E1-54B8AA371AA1.jpeg
EFEEF1EE-2F36-414A-B6AF-F2D28F61C000.jpeg

efeef1ee-2f36-414a-b6af-f2d28f61c000-jpeg.241970

It’s worked for probably two years and it has worked previously with this brand of bulb. I went out in my grow room and saw the timer turned on but the light was not. I took the timer off and plugged the light directly into a 20 amp dedicated socket that is off a sub panel which has four 20 amp breakers. Breakers on the sub and the main are not flipped and electric stuff works when I plug it into the socket so it isn’t the socket or wiring.

so the first time it went off, when I plugged it into the socket directly and it turned on. I unplugged it later on and put it back on the same timer to see if it wouldn’t light up again but it worked for about five days straight. Then I came home and found the light off again but it should be on. I took the timer off and plugged directly into the socket but it wouldn’t light up. I tried a different socket and it didn’t light up. I hooked up a different DE light that has the ballast connected to it and it lights up. So I took the ballast into the hydro shop and it works. I then took the reflector with the bulb and it works too. It works with my ballast and their ballast and also on their timer. It’s a fucking mystery and I can’t have it acting like this.

the guy at the hydro store doesn't recognize the ballast and wonders if it was meant for a hood attached to ballast light and was separated before being sold to me. their suggestion was maybe a new ballast but they said the ballast i have works and were unsure why it would just turn off and won't light up every time it is plugged in.

thailer

Have you tried a different bulb?

i have not tried that yet but someone mentioned that some brands can have issues and it won't trigger to fire up. i have to buy a new bulb anyways so i was gonna try that once i can find a store with one in stock. then i'll pop in a new bulb in the working light i have and use the old bulb to test this light/ballast. it will take a couple days before it has issues maybe, like last time. if he turns off with the new bulb, its safe to assume it is a ballast issue then?

thailer

I bought a new ballast and hooked it up to the old light and five days later it shut off and wouldn’t light back up. The ballast had a blinking light on it too. So I changed out the digilamp bulb and put in a Ushio bulb and so far it has stayed on so if it stays like this, it is the brand of bulb. If this bulb turns off then it would possibly be the reflector but I don’t think so.