What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lead from ballast to lamp

Iamnumber

Hi,

Regarding the lead from ballast (magnetic hps, digital hps, cmh) to lamp. With what length would be 'should be ok in any setup' and what would be 'should work but that is pushing it'

what would be the likely outcome of using too long lead? fire hazard? emi in radio/ wifi? loss of power?

I could work with 6ft byt 10ft would make life easier. I would be mounting ballast outside tent in safe spot.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry there is a maximum cable length but it escapes me.

There also use to be an issue with wrapping up magnetic ballast cables.

But I forget most of that.

Not much help.

But your mother and I support all your choices in life.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Longer the wire the more resistance in the wire, means less electrons reaching the lamp and more wasted as heat. You can counteract that by using a larger diameter cable, resistance increases with length, but decreases with cable cross size. Theoretically you could counteract any length based resistance by using a larger cable. In practice, it shouldn't really matter as you are doing very short runs. To be 100% sure you'd have to check your ballast/light manual.

Last edited:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I wired a 150w Advance HPS ballast with an 18" lead,
as I recall the maximum length you can use, avoid coiling
the lead wire.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had some sunlight ballasts, with an igniter only suitable for 600mm runs. They were ok with the typical 4 meter leads, for about a year. Then I had to swap them for igniters rated for longer cables. It was length they separated them by in the catalogue, but I can't help thinking the small print probably stated a cable capacitance.

Lamps themselves have different striking voltage requirements. Sylvania lamps often work where a Philips Plus lamp won't. I know of a Gavita ballast mountain, because only Sylvania and Gavita supplied lamps would ignite. IIRC some lamps like 4.7kv, but some igniters are 4.5kv anyway. So won't give the cleanest first time strike, every time.

Other than the igniters for contained fittings, that were fitted to remote ballasts, I have been alright with mix and match parts. I have struggled with iec extensions though. They all seem to get hot at the plugs. I know they should work, or could work, but I just keep getting crap. Then giving in and chopping things up.

Latest posts

Latest posts