What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the 5 minute fix for 'light-proofing' most a/c's

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
u can see the white in back of the removed 'air flow director'...

close-up

grab your can of black spray-paint.....

BAM!

make sure its taped up good around the sides...

voila!

lifes good again.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
haha awesome! mine is the same config but they decided to use black plastic to begin with lol. gotta love crucial fixes like that which take no time.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
headiez247 said:
haha awesome! mine is the same config but they decided to use black plastic to begin with lol. gotta love crucial fixes like that which take no time.

i thought yor a/c looked the same... is it the 10K btu one?
mine is a 15k BTU... lucky BASTARD with your plastic shroud!!!

Mine are sytrifoam dividers.... found out the hard way in 3rd grade that I couldn't spray paint styrofoam.... I wonder if the liquid plastic stuff would work?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
G33k Speak said:
Mine are sytrifoam dividers.... found out the hard way in 3rd grade that I couldn't spray paint styrofoam.... I wonder if the liquid plastic stuff would work?
my a/c backwall is made of styrofoam... and i painted it just fine....
some foams melt but not the harder foam they use for the a/c's

kstampy

I have the same one, light gets in through the bottom half too. Had to pull that sucker apart! >.<

thanks for this post

thanks for this post

hey DIGITALHIPPY thanks for this post helped me out a ton was not looking forward to having to remove ac unit to tape up Styrofoam in unit I have found that Krylon H2o Latex Spray Paint does not melt the foam at all and works great :jump: i am so happy you saved me about an hour or more of work today thanks

kstampy

I just ended up putting a big box around it and fashioned some stuff to direct the air just to be sure lol.

kstampy

Not how I did it, it has space around it to not restrict any air flow and the cool exhaust is a straight shot down to the floor opposite of my exhaust so the heat will rise up and out. Heat isn't as much of a problem now that I have cool tubes.

Where is the light leaking?

I modify window units for smell. I never once worried about light leaks.

You do need to be careful when you open them up to make a sealed evaporator coil. You don't want a kink or a hole in those refrigerant lines.

that's the same AC unit i have installed. The inside was already black though. It had a little vent inside the fan chamber that i had to block out but other than that it was pretty light tight to begin with.