X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, wanted to know the same!

Cheers

Comment

Hey, sorry about the wait for my reply, been real busy lately. I didn't get to test this out in flower, and when I did have it it was only scrubbing half the exhaust so I really can't say whether it worked well or not. I built the scrubber from Durban Poison's tutorial, here.
      http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=509470

It worked out very well, I think I need to pack the carbon a little tighter next time. Sorry I couldn't help out more with questions on this design though.

Comment

Any reports on how well this filter works? Looks much easier than the loose activated carbon filters -- too good to be true?

Comment

If a strain is a real stinker, cloths won't stop it unless it has been layered pretty well.
          For small cabs and moderate smellers, these probably would work out.
          But, if you absolutely need to eliminate odors, for $50-$60 you can build a full on carbon scrubber that is the same as bought units.

Comment

Cool, thanks hoosierdaddy. Looks like I'm off to the pet store

Good airflow and starter box posts too!

Comment

Ryoko's follow-up

From another forum where Ryoko posted a follow up to his original design:

[quote]
              Carbon Filter Update
              I just thought I'd return with a status report so you all know how well the filter held up.

The filter was originally installed during a grow with 4 weeks of flowering left to go. The plants were at their stinkiest at this time and the smell improved right away. After that, I started a new girl with the same filter. By the time she was done, 10 weeks later, things were starting to get a bit smelly again. Not nearly as bad as without the filter, but still noticably worse than with the brand new filter.

I think that you might be able to stretch a filter to last for two grow cycles at the most. You are probably much safer with a new filter for each new grow. Considering a grow takes about three months, buying a new filter four times per year isn't too bad. (If you are doing it full time.) For my size, it's $7.50 CDN each time to replace it, from Home Depot.

When I replaced it finally, the amount of crap the filter caught was crazy. The sheet of carbon wraps around my tube about 2.5x. The first layer was all white and had a bunch of dusty crud on it. The second layer also had visible residue, but less. The very end of it was mostly clean; the first two layers stopped a lot of junk.

OK I'm done for now. It's nice to see that others have tried out the method and are now killing their smells the DIY way.
              [end quote]

Comment

Hi Bounty nice design, do you think the Carbon filter wrap works as well as granulated carbon?. If so its a lot less messy to make & change carbon.
                Nice work, anything that keeps big nosy noses at bay has a big thumbs up by me!.

Comment

hey where did you get the carbon Cloth.. See I went to wal-mart in the fish section and got active carbon(little pieces of rocks) I was wondering why my 530cfm fan was having a hard time pushing through it....lol.. I see why now.. Did you get that at home-depot or something????? Its a honey-well replacement filter or replacement carbon cloth???? RIGHT... Well I just read the threaD AN ITS HOME-DEPOTS THANKS THOUGH
                  Last edited by BagseedBoy; 04-13-2009, 11:30. Reason: forgot

Comment

My girlfriend found out the hard way that if you have soft hands wear work gloves while handling that mesh!

Lucky mine are rough from construction and I had no problem but she was definitely a bleeder

Comment

I didn't have great luck with this design for odour control. Even with the filter cloths doubled up, they weren't able to knock out the smell from my five plants in a small cabinet.

Anybody else have experience with this design?

I would recommend other designs using loose activated carbon. I just built one of these and it's working fine so far:
                      http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86726

Comment

i tried this design and it doesnt work at all.

after this next harvest i will be trying one based on the activated carbon

Comment

The flaw is not in the design.
                          Activated carbon was always a requirement.

Comment

Great thread. Some things that would improve are:

#1 The unit needs more carbon. The air traveling through needs to interact with a lot more carbon particles. This means an actual layer of carbon granules, not a carbon-impregnated foam.

#2 The unit would be greatly improved if the correct carbon were used. This means Coconut Carbon, (not coal or wood).

#3 Also greatly improving this would be to use the right size carbon. The size used for air filtration NOT the tiny stuff used to filter water.

OVERGROW with SOIL

Fully Medical MJ Compliant

Comment

the carbon cloths work well. there are many grades & thicknesses. easier to manage than the carbon pellets.

have used these:
                              activated aluminas with potassium permanganate and activated carbon
                              Spherical pellets: 1.5-6.4 mm in diameter
                              color: Purple and black
                              Bulk density: 0.64
                              g/cc (40 lb/[ft.sup.3])
                              Target: Amine odors, auto exhaust, smoking, cooking odors

& the carbon cloths. the cloths are far more user friendly & manageable. they can also be layered several times, made longer (more surface area) & many can be made relatively easily.

this may be helpful:
                              VOC removal performance of pellet/granular-type sorbent media experimental results
                              http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4998215/pg_10/

results on page 10. they compare many different voc removing medias.

the combination of cloth & pellets, works very well. essential oils/ona soaked in basin/bucket of soil moist granules, & kept saturated & inline w/ exhaust only helps more...

*edit*
                              if do diy carbon filter/scrubber w/ pellets/granules, would leave just enough space so that the filters can be agitated/shaken vigorously weekly... seems it helps when the granules are shaken periodically.
                              enjoy your garden!
                              *all posts by *mistress* are for entertainment and/or educational purposes only. concepts, characters, descriptions, approximations, estimations, are the product of *mistress* imagination, and used fictitiously. no post intends to describe, nor infer, the actual conduct of any persons, living or dead. any resemblance is purely coincidental.*

"This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only." -ICMAG

Comment

Originally posted by *mistress* View Post
                                the carbon cloths work well. there are many grades & thicknesses. easier to manage than the carbon pellets.

...the cloths are far more user friendly & manageable. they can also be layered several times, made longer (more surface area) & many can be made relatively easily.
                                There's really no way around this. Coconut Carbon pellets in the vapor adsorption range of 4x8 will significantly out perform everything else. If there's a doubt, contact a competent carbon source that sells many different items.

OVERGROW with SOIL

Fully Medical MJ Compliant

Comment

Working...
                                X