What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

Bulénath

Yes badgr that is exactly what I mean! lol take another look at the post above, might have been that tasty weed in your gallery!

Its about "pulling" the air through this particuar scrubber, opposed to "pushing" the air through the scrubber! Same concept for a passive intake! I appreciate the kind words and help man! Much thanks!

Last edited:

goldfronts

Thanks for the explanation bulenath. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for that link also, I hit it up the first time I read this thread on the first page, but I seemed to overlook the specs part.

I just purchased a panasonic inline fan, the 240cfm model from the thread you posted. I will post up in this thread with my opinion of the fan once I get it running, but I have nothing to compare it to since this will be my first, and hopefully, last fan purchase. I am planning on pulling through a scrubber and then out the back of my cab.

I am really looking for something that is going to be real quiet, so I think this will do the trick.

Thanks Again!Goldfronts

Last edited:

Bulénath

Awsome goldfronts! Congrats!

I was looking through for the 240 model, and noticed you went with the galvanized steel ventilation fan. This "steel" fan looks much different than the other lines.

So i took a look at the specifications..

The thing is set up like an inline fan! Holy shit I didnt even notice they made a design that function like a Vortex Inline! You could just hook up a professional Can Carbon Scrubber to that baby! Fucking cool man.:)

I hope this design works out for ya, looks like your going to be a making a can filter instead of the tray filter like mine!

Here is the link we are talking about everyone.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rewilliams/fv20nlf1.pdf

The thing is 1.4 sones. I dont know how that exactly compares to 0.4 sones, but I imagine its not too loud, even though its Three(!) times the CFM as my scrubber! Still not too much power useage either only 57 watts. The 80CFM model is only like 14 watts or so.

Please keep us posted man, let us know how this model runs when you set it up. I never seen the bigger panasonics used in a grow yet, so im really excited for you!

Last edited:

goldfronts

How hard is it to wire one of these things to a plug?

Is there a neutral wire? If so, what did you wire the neutral to?

Thanks Goldfronts

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Goldfronts....Go to Home Depot....buy the book "Wiring 1,2,3" I think is what it's called. This should answer any wiring question you may have in the future.

Cheers

G

Found this when I googled "panasonic whisper fan".

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

It's a link to a page at panasonic.com for an in-line fan. I searched their site for a dealer for the fan and no dealers showed up. I tried to buy it online and was told to contact a dealer. Pretty typical chase-your-tail bullshit you sometimes find on the web. I don't even know if the link is to a valid page anymore. They may have discontinued the fan because if you just go to http://www2.panasonic.com and try to find it, it isn't there. I plan to call them and find out what's up. If you check their online store prices for their Whisper line of ceiling exhaust fans, the prices are ridiculously high.

Hope this post turns out to be of some use. I'm going to research it a little more. It's the holidays and the wife's out of town so I've got time on my hands, hehe.

Mojo

Bulénath

goldfronts,
You dont even need to invest in a book for the simple wiring! Although that is a good book!

There are three wires.

Red-Positive
Black-Negative
Green-Ground.

Just match the colors! Its THAT easy.

For my 80cfm Model, I just bought a regular extension cord and wired it like that. Make sure the extension cord is listed to handle the fan's rated Amps and Watts, which is not very much after all, so almost any extension cord will work! A grounded extension word would work best, and would be the safest option. I just used a regular two prong extension cord, and attached the extra/green/ground wire to the ground screw. Actually, my fan was set up with the ground wire already mounted to the ground screw in the metal casing that holds the wires. But I think the safest option would be to use a tripple prong/grounded extension cord.

Bulénath

The Budfather,
I havent worked with 250's, but there are many growers who use them. Look around ICM and check out what others are using. For sure the Panasonic fans have the CFM you need. Just remember to expect a minimum of 25% decrease in CFM when hooked up with a scrubber thats vented *directly*. If you plan on using ducting, especially with bends, then you need to account for a greater loss in CFM. I would say 35% to be safe. After all, playing it safe couldent hurt!

Mojo,
Yeah they are expensive, but cheaper than a Vortex or Fantech. Compared to other High-CFM fans used for growing, they aint that " ridiculously high" priced.

Yea i have a hard time believing that's better than your Vortex fan. Those Vortex fans have 10 year warranties for a reason. My fan speed controller doesn't make any noise.

I think those fans will get louder as they age faster than your vortex which is made for always on performance. The larger the diameter of course the quieter you can move air. A larger Vortex with a fan controller would prolly do it but bulkier also in a stealth situation. 100 bucks just seems like a lot for a fan that will probably wear out or get loud in 2-3 years.

Bulénath

Niether fan is better, Jesus.

Its just about works best for *your* grow situation. Trust me man, if I could sleep with a Vortex next to me head, I would have saved the few hundred bucks.

As far as warranty, yeah the Vortex has a longer one. Panasonic is 3 years warranty. Unlike the Vortex, the Panasonic wasnt build specifically for a carbon scrubber. But in the end, when a single plant is worth aournf $400, you WILL get your money out of it reguardless.

Last edited:

bongkong

Bulenath (or someone else),

I don't understand how you have the fan hooked up in your little cab. Is the cabon sitting on the top of that box out of view? I mean, is there a little gap between the top of the cab and the top of the carbon...so that the fan is sucking through the top of the carbon (out of view of the picture) and blowing out the vent? Sorry for being a dumb-dumb, but I'm spacially-challenged! I just want to make sure that the carbon is resting on the screen (uncovered) and is on top of the fan (out of view).

Thanks,
BK